Troy Brown not tendered an offer

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF is NE thinking. Too many losses to keep the "dynasty" in tact. I'd take TB in a damn flash.

Talk about what any team needs. He is so into being a team player, taking cuts to keep the team under the cap and together, playing hard nosed unselfish ball on both sides of the ball. A true winner and a questionable move by NE.

WTF is NE thinking. Too many losses to keep the "dynasty" in tact. I'd take TB in a damn flash.

Talk about what any team needs. He is so into being a team player, taking cuts to keep the team under the cap and together, playing hard nosed unselfish ball on both sides of the ball. A true winner and a questionable move by NE.

257805[/snapback]

I personally dont want him.

I personally dont want him.

257806[/snapback]

A third reciever would be a boost to the club, and one as versatile as TB is could benefit the team in times of need. A guy who can play reciever AND corner both at exceptional professional levels is worth having.

257805[/snapback]

He was discussed earlier today, but the topic has since scrolled off the screen. Go back to the current screen and scroll down to the botton, and you will see a listing of pages, click on 2, 3 etc. to find previous threads.

Here's another case of the cold hard machine known as the New England Patriots. Troy Brown, a player who was the ultimate  team player this past season, doesn't even get tendered a contract. Don't let the door hit you on the a** on the way out Troy - that's cold even by Belicheck standards.

257220[/snapback]

Were they supposed to pay him the $5 million in new money that he would have gotten? He was, at best, the fourth wide receiver (after Branch, Givens, and Patten) and a serviceable nickel back. If Brown wanted to stay at a reasonable salary ($1 million to $1.5 million), he would still be a Patriot today. That can still happen.

A third reciever would be a boost to the club, and one as versatile as TB is could benefit the team in times of need. A guy who can play reciever AND corner both at exceptional professional levels is worth having.

257810[/snapback]

sandt...who's that in your avatar? That's an eatin' ass.

257805[/snapback]

You really think he was worth a 5.5 million dollar cap hit? He is old and on the decline IMO.

Were they supposed to pay him the $5 million in new money that he would have gotten?  He was, at best, the fourth wide receiver (after Branch, Givens, and Patten) and a serviceable nickel back.  If Brown wanted to stay at a reasonable salary ($1 million to $1.5 million), he would still be a Patriot today.  That can still happen.

Bingo. They way that most are painting this a slap in the face to Brown is laughable. I'm guessing that such people don't have too intimate a knowledge of Brown's offensive production over the last two years or the Pats' and Brown's cap numbers.

I hope like hell Brown comes back at a lower cost, because he provides depth in all three phases of the game, and because he's a great locker room presence. But the fact is that he's not a starter anywhere anymore, and to keep him at a $5 million cap cost would've been insane.

Here's another case of the cold hard machine known as the New England Patriots. Troy Brown, a player who was the ultimate  team player this past season, doesn't even get tendered a contract. Don't let the door hit you on the a** on the way out Troy - that's cold even by Belicheck standards.

257220[/snapback]

Belichick is as cold as they come. Brown is just one in a long line of guys who are asked to take the back-loaded contract. Give your all to the team and when your payday finally comes, take a hike, chump. Milloy, Law, Spires, Big Ted Washington, Woody, and on and on.

They had a tight end named Wiggins who caught 10 passes in the Snow Bowl game, dropping any one of which would have meant a loss, no Super Bowl.

He wasn't offered a contract in the offseason. Last year he led the Vikes in catches.

Troy Brown was due to get a $400,000 incentive bonus for 40 catches. Instead

they say "Troy learn to play cornerback and save our asses this season, but sorry no 40 catches for you"

Kraft and Belichick line their pockets while guys like Bruschi go out and nearly kill themselves for team friendly salaries. It's a joke, and there is a lot of animosity in that locker room.

No guaranteed contracts but ask Robert Edwards and Drew Bledsoe what happens when you get hurt on the job for the NE Pats.

sandt...who's that in your avatar? That's an eatin' ass.

257863[/snapback]

Anna Kournikova. :blink:

Anna K showin her a$$ off

My guess is that they were thinking that they didn't want a guy who caught 17 balls last year counting $5 million against the cap.

I know, right? WTF were they thinking?

A guy who played Corner for the majority of the year.

5.5 mil? That is what they would have had to pay, 2.5 on a contract bonus plus 2.5 salary. Is he worth 2.5? Sure, 3? Sure, 4 Maybe...but the 4 would seriously be out of our range IMO.

5.5 mil? That is what they would have had to pay, 2.5 on a contract bonus plus 2.5 salary. Is he worth 2.5? Sure, 3? Sure, 4 Maybe...but the 4 would seriously be out of our range IMO.

Bottom line: Following the Law release, Brown had the third highest cap hit on the team behind Brady and Dillon, and that's unacceptable for a player whose production is as low as Brown's is at this point in his career. I'm sure the team offered him a chance to reduce his cap charge and come back, but I certainly don't blame him for wanting to test the free agency waters.

This is the reality of the NFL's current economic system. Neither party did anything wrong to the other, and to turn it into a big sob story is absurd.

Without Crennel and Weis to provide the buffer my answer is a resounding yes.

Wow, this is news to me, and I follow the Pats every day. Could you please post the audio, video, or transcripts of interviews you must've conducted with New England players that led you to this completely inexplicable conclusion?

Bottom line:  Following the Law release, Brown had the third highest cap hit on the team behind Brady and Dillon, and that's unacceptable for a player whose production is as low as Brown's is at this point in his career.  I'm sure the team offered him a chance to reduce his cap charge and come back, but I certainly don't blame him for wanting to test the free agency waters.

This is the reality of the NFL's current economic system.  Neither party did anything wrong to the other, and to turn it into a big sob story is absurd.

257880[/snapback]

Hey Hollydon...

good days in patsfan land. GOod days in Boston. Must be nice, eh? Wicked nice...

Wow, this is news to me, and I follow the Pats every day.  Could you please post the audio, video, or transcripts of interviews you must've conducted with New England players that led you to this completely inexplicable conclusion?

257881[/snapback]

All I have to say is, the Patriots do a great job at getting team guys, and they've got a great mix right now. That being said, I think with Law and Brown leaving now, if the Patriots start to be as successful without 2/3 of their brain trust (which is a distinct possibility), you will see more and more leaving for more $. Its the nature of the beast.

Wow, this is news to me, and I follow the Pats every day.  Could you please post the audio, video, or transcripts of interviews you must've conducted with New England players that led you to this completely inexplicable conclusion?

257881[/snapback]

If you don't think that cutting a guy ("no contract tendered") like Troy Brown who was one of the only players in the NFL to go both ways this year and thereby lose an opportunity at an incentive clause won't have a ripple effect in that locker room than you are deluded.

This kind of stuff does affect a team. How else do you explain the 31-0 win the Bills achieved over a superior Pats team in 2003?

Hey I hear Roman Phifer got f'd too, huh?