2017 NFL Draft Outlook (with Scout Quotes)

I searched and didn't see this posted. I look for this article every year, it's written with the Packers in mind but has a lot of information about the draft prospects.

edit: Brought this list down to just the first set of players (14), click the link to the article for the full list (50 players).

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/03/04/2016-nfl-draft-outlook/98698342/

2017 NFL Draft Outlook
Bob McGinn , Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Published 8:23 p.m. CT March 4, 2017
Updated 10:51 a.m. CT March 5, 2017
Based on interviews with executives in personnel for six teams, it is possible to narrow down just a little bit the pool of players that might be considered by the Green Bay Packers regardless of position if they exercise their current 29th selection in the first round of the NFL draft April 27.
Prospects are conservatively divided into three categories: As Good As Gone – barring negative developments, these players have virtually no chance of reaching No. 29; Probably Gone – players who appear to have no better than a 50-50 chance of remaining on the board at No. 29; and The Next Level – players who figure to be taken next.
Here’s an early look at 50 players who figure to fit into these layers of the draft (underclassmen are denoted by asterisk).
AS GOOD AS GONE (14)
MIKE WILLIAMS*, WR, Clemson: 6-4, 218. Huge possession receiver. “He’s a big-body, Dez Bryant mold,” said one scout. “He fits that profile well. If you sit there and try to make him a guy that wins on immediate separation, there may be an issue.” Started 30 games over portions of four seasons. “Reminds me of Mike Evans,” another scout said. “He’s really good in traffic. He is talented, big. Thing that worries me, I don’t see him separating from people.” Disappointing vertical jump of 32½ inches.
COREY DAVIS, WR, Western Michigan: 6-3, 209. Similar in many ways to Williams. “He’s more fluid than Michael Irvin was,” said one scout. “Works hard. Loves football. Smart (31 on the Wonderlic intelligence test). Attacks the football. Concentrates in traffic. Got vertical tracking skills.” Four-year starter with 326 receptions in an emerging program. “He’s good, but he’s not like some of the top guys from the past few years,” another scout said. “He’s like the kid from the Eagles (Jordan Matthews). Little better hands. He’s a big, strong guy who can catch the ball really well.”
O.J. HOWARD, TE, Alabama: 6-6, 251. Most complete tight end in the draft. “Nothing wrong with him at all,” said one scout. “Big-time basketball player in high school. Just a country boy. Big, fast, athletic. Receiving tight end or every down.” Played extensively for four seasons. “There’s no dominant in-line guys anymore but he’s probably as good as you’re going to get coming out,” a second scout said. “As a receiver he’s still a little untapped. Only two years did he play with a pro-style quarterback. He’s a phenomenal human being. His upside is through the roof.” Ran a speedy 4.51 in the 40-yard dash Saturday at the combine.
RYAN RAMCZYK*, T, Wisconsin: 6-6, 310. One scout was shocked to see this former UW-Stevens Point LT play so well in his Badgers debut against Louisiana State at Lambeau Field. “LSU has edge guys and I was saying, ‘Who the heck is the left tackle?’ ” he said. “He stood out. He matches up with people stride-for-stride athletically.” Underwent hip surgery in January. Arms measured just 33¾ inches but hands were immense (10 7/8). “Balanced and strong and steady,” said a second scout. “He goes 15 to 25. He’ll be fine.” Aggressive run blocker. “You’re just betting a lot on this guy who in one year worked his way into being a productive blocker toward the end of the year,” said a third scout. “He just comes out of nowhere, he plays, now he’s hurt and he can’t work. Lot of red flags for me. I hope they take him early.”
GARETT BOLLES*, T, Utah: 6-5, 297. Bounced around from high school to high school, played in junior college and spent just one season at Utah. “Checkered past,” said one scout. “He’s the most talented of all of them (tackles). Really athletic and tough. Plays hard. He’s got to get stronger.” Will be 25 as a rookie. “He’s more of a traditional mauler,” said another scout. “He’s athletically gifted and plays the game dirty tough. He is an LDS Mormon guy that’s kind of recaptured his life. He ran with gangs earlier in his life. He’s pretty good.” Arms were 34, hands just 9 3/8.
CAM ROBINSON*, T, Alabama: 6-6, 322. Three-year starter at LT. “He is aggressive, he’s physical, he’s big,” one scout said. “There’s nothing he can’t do physically. I think someone like (Seattle’s) Tom Cable might say, ‘Hey, I can coach him up.’ They’ll buy into the upside aspect of it.” Whiffed frequently in pass protection and had too many penalties. Arms measured 35½. “Very, very erratic,” another scout said. “Off the field is a little bit of a question mark, too.”
MITCHELL TRUBISKY*, QB, North Carolina: 6-2, 222. One-year starter. “You’ve got to try with him,” said one scout. “He’s the best of the bunch. You just wish he played more. He started one year, and the guy he played behind last year was terrible (Marquise Williams, who was in Green Bay’s camp). It’s kind of a concern. As far as the physical gifts, he’s got everything you look for. And he’s got the poise. He works hard.” Asked reporters to be known as “Mitchell” in the NFL. “Five-time Punt, Pass and Kick champion,” said a second scout. “Mr. Ohio in football out of high school. Has athletic feet and good feel for the game. As the season progressed he got better. Strong enough arm.” Hailed by a third scout as a “Marcus Mariota-type athlete.” He added: “He had his worst game against Stanford when he locked on twice and the safety picked off two passes. I wanted to compare him to (Brett) Favre but he’s a much better athlete than Favre and he’s faster than Favre. The amazing thing is he can run so well. Excellent competitor. He’s probably my best player (in the draft).” Clocked 4.67 in the 40.
DALVIN COOK*, RB, Florida State: 5-10, 210. Rushed for 4,464 yards in three seasons while adding 79 receptions. “He reminds me of Marshall Faulk so much because he can catch the ball,” said one scout. “You can stick him in the slot. He goes downfield, catches the ball, runs hard. But he’s had three shoulder operations.” Ran an ordinary 40 (4.49). “Fast, explosive runner,” another scout said. “Boy, he would add something to our offense. He’s a back who can go for 60 (yards) every now and then. He’s everything.”
LEONARD FOURNETTE*, RB, Louisiana State: 6-0, 240. Burst onto the scene as a pure freshman in 2014, rushed for a career-best 1,953 yards in ’15 and struggled playing on a high ankle sprain for most of ’16. “He’s the real deal,” said one scout. “He’s head and shoulders above everybody else.” Compared by scouts to Bo Jackson, Jonathan Stewart and Derrick Henry. “There’s similar things to Bo: size, twitch, explosion, burst, power,” said a second scout. “I could have written his report as a freshman. It didn’t take long to see he was a different bird. He’s not normal. Last year he had some of the most dynamic 2-yard gains you will ever see.” Ran 4.51 to go with a lousy 28½-inch vertical jump. “Big, strong, physical player but he really takes some hits,” a third scout said. “Like Derrick Henry.”
MYLES GARRETT*, DE, Texas A&M: 6-4, 272. Three-year starter with 32½ sacks. “He’s a freak,” said one scout. “This guy is bigger and longer than Von Miller (6-2½, 246). He’s the best player in the draft.” Projects to DE for 4-3 teams and OLB for 3-4 teams. “He will not let teammates down,” said another scout. “He’s committed. He’s all in.” His arms measured an imposing 35¼. Several scouts questioned his effort and toughness. “This guy is supposed to be the certain first pick in the draft but he leaves a lot to be desired,” said one. “He’s a good athlete but there are stretches of him not being productive. He’s not really a tough guy. He’s not strong. He’s a flash player. Everything is solid off the field but I don’t think he plays hard. I’d take (Joey) Bosa.”
JONATHAN ALLEN, DT, Alabama: 6-3, 286. Overcame multiple shoulder surgeries and made his senior season his best. “He was damn near unblockable in a lot of games,” said one scout. “He’s a difference-maker. Not a special athlete but extremely strong and an outstanding technician. He can play hurt and be productive. He just looks like a pro. He’s the perfect base end that moves inside on third down.” Three-year starter with 28½ sacks. “He doesn’t really stand out in any particular area but he just plays so hard,” another scout said. “He’s quick, active, strong. I’d want him on my team.”
REUBEN FOSTER, ILB, Alabama: 6-0, 229. Follows in the footsteps of Crimson Tide MLBs C.J. Mosley and Reggie Ragland. “He’s better than Ragland from last year but Mosley is a little bit more athletic,” said one scout. “This guy has a little more thump to him (than Mosley). He’s good, not tremendous. He’s had some issues.” Foster’s difficult past came into focus Saturday when it was reported by ESPN that he was sent home from the combine after a “heated argument” with a hospital worker in Indianapolis. “This guy is fast, explosive, the real deal,” another scout said. “He may slide because of background. He’s got all kinds of stuff.”
MARSHON LATTIMORE*, CB, Ohio State: 6-0, 193. Third-year sophomore who in effect played just one season. “He’s really quick,” said one scout. “Loose hips and good feet, and he has a burst. Faster, quicker than Gareon Conley. I just didn’t see him challenge (receivers).” Four interceptions this season and then declared two years early. “Not a true leader but teammates love him,” another scout said. “Good ball skills.”
JAMAL ADAMS*, S, Louisiana State: 6-0, 214. Two-year starter with exceptional arm length (33 3/8). “Top-10 pick,” said one scout. “Phenomenal player. He’s one of the best safeties I’ve done. That’s Earl Thomas but bigger.” Father, George, was a running back drafted in the first round by the Giants in 1985. “The whole world is excited about him but I liked him more last year (2015),” said another scout. “He’s a box guy. Breaks down well and is a good tackler. He’s a tight-hipped guy who has some problems changing direction. He struggles out in space. He’s impressive physically. He is tough.”
Edited by essential

I searched and didn't see this posted. I look for this article every year, it's written with the Packers in mind but has a lot of information about the draft prospects.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/03/04/2016-nfl-draft-outlook/98698342/

2017 NFL Draft Outlook
Bob McGinn , Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Published 8:23 p.m. CT March 4, 2017
Updated 10:51 a.m. CT March 5, 2017
Based on interviews with executives in personnel for six teams, it is possible to narrow down just a little bit the pool of players that might be considered by the Green Bay Packers regardless of position if they exercise their current 29th selection in the first round of the NFL draft April 27.
Prospects are conservatively divided into three categories: As Good As Gone – barring negative developments, these players have virtually no chance of reaching No. 29;

Great post. Thanks. Not a bible but good to see actual quotes near a player from scouts.

Edited by jeffismagic

that's waaaay too much copyrighted material.

you have to avoid that here. we've been in hot water before by copyright attorney's (iirc) seeing us post an entire article.

can't post more than 2 paragraphs usually.

that's waaaay too much copyrighted material.

you have to avoid that here. we've been in hot water before by copyright attorney's (iirc) seeing us post an entire article.

can't post more than 2 paragraphs usually.

My fault, didn't know.

Mods feel free to edit my original post as much as necessary. I proved the link to the article so all the info is there for anyone interested.

My fault, didn't know.

Mods feel free to edit my original post as much as necessary. I proved the link to the article so all the info is there for anyone interested.

you can edit your post if you go to your original post and hit edit. it you can use full editor, if needed.

if you ever need to delete a post there is an option to delete the post, or lock it. say someone completely disrails your thread and takes it somewhere it shouldn't go. you can lock it to leave discussion up, too.