Keeping Tyrod Taylor shows who's in charge in Buffalo

I disagree. This was a smart cold logical move without emotions involved. The kind of thing Bills aren't known to make in the past. Contract was structured smartly last year, and now the re-signing is done the same way. Just SMART. Not whaley, not McD, it's a team move.

I don't agree that it's as easy to say as that, that it's just smart. It's too early to say. If we're still winning six or seven or eight or nine games three or four years from now, it won't have been a smart move.

It's almost certainly the best move to make to win the most games possible next year. But me, personally, I don't care about next year, especially. It's also likely to give us lower draft picks over the next couple of years, which could easily hurt a lot more in the long run.

It's not necessarily a smart move. But it's decisive and appears reasonable. Proof's in the pudding. We'll see. Tyrod's easily the best bridge QB out there. The question is whether we should have gone with a bridge QB or rebuilt.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete Prisco, CBS Sports

The Bills and Taylor agreed to a restructured five-year deal (really a two-year deal), one that drops his outrageous cap number from $16 million to $10 million, which means he will be the team’s starting quarterback.

It’s the right move based on the draft and the free-agent market, but it also sends a strong message: New Bills coach Sean McDermott is the guy with the juice in the building now.

The Bills appeared to be readying to hire interim coach Anthony Lynn after the season, but word around the league was that McDermott wowed owners Terry and Kim Pegula during his interview. When that happened, McDermott became the power broker in the building, making general manager Doug Whaley, who many wondered why he still had a job anyway, a guy without the juice anymore.

Whaley clearly was not a Taylor guy, which is why he instructed Lynn to sit him late last season rather than risk injury that would have guaranteed him the 2017 salary. That was not a football move at all. It was a Whaley move based on money and the future, even though he’s the one who gave Taylor the bad contract last year.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/free-agency-musings-keeping-tyrod-taylor-shows-whos-in-charge-in-buffalo/

Playing TT to risk further injury to his groin when the season was basically over, meaning out of the playoffs, is really not that bad of a business decision.

If TT had injured himself to the point where he couldn't be able to take to a practice field before June would have cost the Bills dearly.

So basically it comes down to - who do you want to believe? Rex, a Rex detractors, the janitor?

How so Buffalo Bud? I read this a lot on here. However, Doug has now signed Hotrod to his third contract in 3 years. Kind of a funny way to treat a guy you aren't "high" on.

Doug handles the 53. If he didn't like him, he could have cut him a couple of times by now.

that's a good point

Come to find out,he did the right thing with his stance on that contract.

How so Buffalo Bud? I read this a lot on here. However, Doug has now signed Hotrod to his third contract in 3 years. Kind of a funny way to treat a guy you aren't "high" on.

Doug handles the 53. If he didn't like him, he could have cut him a couple of times by now.

I don't believe Doug does fully control the roster.