Something I've noticed about the Buffalo News

It didn't hit me until today that the Buffalo News has at least one article about Canisius or Niagara collegiate sports every day, while they only write about UB the day of and day after a basketball game. There has not been one word about the UB basketball team written since Feb. 24!

Someone at the Buffalo News ought to wake up...or are they all Canisius and Niagara grads in the sports department?

PTR

If they were truly sports journalists, the name of their alma mater shouldn't matter!

As someone who moved out of WNY in 1983 I am still caught off guard when I hear "Buffalo basketball" mentioned nationally. I remember UB as a Div. III program. If they really aren't being covered the News should be blasted - the "Little Three" unfortunately is a thing of the past.

The MAAC ( Mid-Atlantic) Tourney is in Buffalo this year. The News helps with the Promotion.

UB gets tons more airtime on the local news, believe me. The home game on Saturday vs. Akron is on local TV ( Ch.23 ) at 4PM

I think if anything, the Buffalo News gives triple the amount of coverage to UB than it does all the other colleges combined (Niagara, Canisius, Buff State, etc,,). Usually when they do cover UB, it's long feature articles and maybe a game story and some game notes. The other schools usually get a tiny article on the game other than the MAAC championship stuff which is here this week.

When money took control over substance, local college and high school coverage suffered. Also, when the Buffalo (Evening) News had a formidable competitor in the Courier Express, the coverage of local sports was great in both publications. Ever since the demise of the Courier and the significant loss of Buffalo's population (ad revenue), coverage of local college sports took a serious hit.

I just checked out UB's Athletics Home Page and noticed that UB no longer has Division I hockey. It was replaced at some point by "Club Hockey". What happened? Title IX?

When money took control over substance, local college and high school coverage suffered.  Also, when the Buffalo (Evening) News had a formidable competitor in the Courier Express, the coverage of local sports was great in both publications.  Ever since the demise of the Courier and the significant loss of Buffalo's population (ad revenue), coverage of local college sports took a serious hit.

I just checked out UB's Athletics Home Page and noticed that UB no longer has Division I hockey.  It was replaced at some point by "Club Hockey".  What happened?  Title IX?

256798[/snapback]

Jeez, the Courier Express went out of business something like 23 years ago! I don't think you can use it in a relevant conversation about 2005 Buffalo area sports coverage.

Jeez, the Courier Express went out of business something like 23 years ago!  I don't think you can use it in a relevant conversation about 2005 Buffalo area sports coverage.

257023[/snapback]

The original thread was about the lack of coverage of UB basketball in the Buffalo News. My point was UB basketball is simply not important enough to todays bottom line at the Buffalo News. You are correct, it was 23 years ago since the CE was last published.

As for UB hockey?

I think newspaper coverage of local sports has gone down hill in a lot of areas, not just Buffalo. We had a first place ECHL team in Greensboro, and if they did have an article about them, it was always negative.

257099[/snapback]

That's fairly common in small markets - especially minor pro hockey. The setting in the media room here was definitely an "us against them" deal. Most of that was caused by the fact that the local paper's sports staff knew dick about hockey.

It's much better now because the replacements for those folks grew up in the game. Amazing how that works.

When money took control over substance, local college and high school coverage suffered.  Also, when the Buffalo (Evening) News had a formidable competitor in the Courier Express, the coverage of local sports was great in both publications.  Ever since the demise of the Courier and the significant loss of Buffalo's population (ad revenue), coverage of local college sports took a serious hit.

I just checked out UB's Athletics Home Page and noticed that UB no longer has Division I hockey.  It was replaced at some point by "Club Hockey".  What happened?  Title IX?

256798[/snapback]

UB plays hockey in the Eastern Collegiate Hockey League which is part of the ACHA Division I. Technically it's under the guise of "Club Hockey" but on the ice it is anything but. I would liken the ACHA DI to a very good NCAA DIII league. ACHA is becoming more common in the college hockey world. A fair amount of mid-major schools are dropping their NCAA hockey teams for whatever the reasons and joining the ACHA.

The website for the team is www.ubhockey.com.

As for why it's not NCAA DI? Don't ask, it's all politics and Title IX has a lot to do with it. But with the talent of hockey players coming out of WNY High Schools, UB is idiotic for not making the jump.

UB plays hockey in the Eastern Collegiate Hockey League which is part of the ACHA Division I.

As for why it's not NCAA DI? Don't ask, it's all politics and Title IX has a lot to do with it. But with the talent of hockey players coming out of WNY High Schools, UB is idiotic for not making the jump.

257144[/snapback]

Well, considering that there are now (or will be) seven New York State colleges in D-I hockey (Clarkson, St. Lawrence, Colgate, Cornell, RPI, Niagara, and soon RIT), I think UB is smart not to make the jump, particularly since they have absolutely no hockey history of which to speak.

Well, considering that there are now (or will be) seven New York State colleges in D-I hockey (Clarkson, St. Lawrence, Colgate, Cornell, RPI, Niagara, and soon RIT), I think UB is smart not to make the jump, particularly since they have absolutely no hockey history of which to speak.

257159[/snapback]

There are enough young prospects that come out of the WNY area to make UB a good team real quick.