NASCAR and the Catholic Church have this in common.

The Catholic Bishop in Rochester, NY has decreed that it's OK to eat meat on the Friday of Saint Patrick's day. This dispensation from the normal Lenten expectation mirrors many of NASCAR's spur of the moment rule changes as well as season-by-season adjustments. NASCAR appears to be making the changes as it chases a remedy for the dwindling audiences at many race tracks; is the church adopting this tactic for the same reason?

this has always been the case for as long as i have been aware of stupid church rules

The Catholic Bishop in Rochester, NY has decreed that it's OK to eat meat on the Friday of Saint Patrick's day. This dispensation from the normal Lenten expectation mirrors many of NASCAR's spur of the moment rule changes as well as season-by-season adjustments. NASCAR appears to be making the changes as it chases a remedy for the dwindling audiences at many race tracks; is the church adopting this tactic for the same reason?

No big deal.

They always gave "special dispensation" when St.Paddy's Day fell on Fridays. Even in old days.

Years ago... My Grandfather's deer hunting partner was the Monsignor from church... This was pre-Vatican II days, when every Friday was "meatless." Well it's a Friday, they are out at dinner and Monsignor orders a steak! On Friday! My Grandfather says: "You can't do that!" Monsignor says: "Yes I can..." LoL. My Grandfather says: "I will have what Monsignor is having!" They both enjoy their meal. :-)

They will do it on Feast of St.Joseph's Day (w/the Italians too) too.

Again... Don't read too much into it.

Always said growing up felt sorry for the poor shmucks who ate meat on Friday in 1942 and were damned to hell for all eternity...while i ate meat on Friday in 1970 and was in Gods good graces!

Some just happen to be Shoeless Joe & others Tom Brady. Be thankful you are given the Tom Brady treatment!

;-)