Need vacation advice...

theesir

I am traveling this summer to colonial Williamsburg with my wife and 7 year old son (who is nuts about colonial history and the like (our vacation last year was to Mount Vernon)). I am wondering how many days do I need there. We were planning on 3 and then continuing on to Virginia beach for 3. If this too long at Williamsburg. Will we run out of things to do??

The help of my learned TBD friends would be most appreciated.

:rolleyes:

I went to school in Williamsburg, so I have a little insight. First, Colonial Williamsburg (CW) should talk one to one and one half days. Busch Gardens, if you like amusement parks, is a day. You also have Yorktown and Jamestown within a ten to fifteen minute ride each way on the Colonial Parkway, but you can probably do both in one day. I think three days is about right.

If you need any info, send me a pm.

I am traveling this summer to colonial Williamsburg with my wife and 7 year old son (who is nuts about colonial history and the like (our vacation last year was to Mount Vernon)). I am wondering how many days do I need there. We were planning on 3 and then continuing on to Virginia beach for 3.  If this too long at Williamsburg. Will we run out of things to do??

:rolleyes:

256612[/snapback]

Generally, one day at Williamsburg itself is enough. However, do not forget that Busch Gardens and Watercountry( and a Bud Brewary) are right there, as is Jamestown and some other cool things. If you are going to do all three, look on ebay for ticket specials and half off coupons, as well as the Bush Gardens site as they often have specials if you purchase your tickets early. I think Jamestown is gearing up this year for the start of the 400th anniversary and has strated a site called 1607.org or something like that, tied into a movie coming out this year.

In terms of VB, the aquarium and a couple of the museums are there are very cool as well.

Thank you all. It seems as if the 3 day time frame is good. We will be there 4th of July week, so the whole patriotic feel should be great.

I forgot to mention that we are spending a day at Thomas Jefferson's Monticello on the way down. Its a regular colonial cornacopia of fun :rolleyes: (I'm kidding, I love the fact that my son enjoys this stuff)

Are Jamestown and Yorktown worth the extra trip?

Thank you all. It seems as if the 3 day time frame is good. We will be there 4th of July week, so the whole patriotic feel should be great.

I forgot to mention that we are spending a day at Thomas Jefferson's Monticello on the way down.  Its a regular colonial cornacopia of fun :rolleyes:

256635[/snapback]

Do not do Busch Garden or the water country on the weekend or the 4th. Otherwise it is way too crowded. Schedule those days to visit WIlliamsburg, Yorktown, Jamestown, etc...

Other neat things is taking the James River Ferry. Nothing special just kind of unique.

Colonial Williamsburg on July 4th is pretty cool, with colonial style fireworks above the Governors Mansion.

256649[/snapback]

The fireworks should be cool. If we do go to Busch Gardens, it will be on the last day in the area (Wed the 6th) so hopefully we will avoid a little of the independence day crowd.

We plan to stay onsite (or at least right next door) at the Woodlands Hotel & Suites.

Do not do Busch Garden or the water country on the weekend or the 4th.  Otherwise it is way too crowded.  Schedule those days to visit WIlliamsburg, Yorktown, Jamestown, etc... 

Other neat things is taking the James River Ferry.  Nothing special just kind of unique.

256639[/snapback]

Agreed on the 4th bit. Also, be prepared for what can be some ongodly hunidity and heat during the day. Where are you planning on staying. Oh yeah, besides the Bud factory, another great place to take your sever year old is the track right up the road. It fits in with your colonial theme as its called Colonial Downs, and what ya know, they have simulcasting in air conditioning.

Check out the Great Wolf Lodge. Our family is going to stay there later this spring. The place looks incredable......includes an indoor water park.

greatwolflodge.com

And make sure you go to Jamestown.

I just made the reservations! WE are staying at the Woodlands Hotel and Suites right at the entrance to the town and the package included all access tickets to Williamsburg. I think we will have to pay extra for Jamestown and Yorktown, but I think we will be going there for sure.

Thanks to all of you for your help. My wife has even started saying "why don't you ask on TBD?" when we are torn on a decision related to..... well.. almost anything.

If you golf I would highly suggest you try to play Golden Horseshoe Gold or River Course at Kingsmill.  These are top tier courses amongst the best you'll ever be able to play.

256741[/snapback]

My son is a beginner golfer. My wife and I both golf. I saw the pictures of the course you mentioned when looking at the CW site. It might be too much for my boy, so it might be a no go for the wife and myself, but Maybe it will work out.

Julie (wife) and myself are going to take a weekend trip ourselves this summer either to Peek n Peak or Holiday valley for a resort stay and golf weekend.

If you golf I would highly suggest you try to play Golden Horseshoe Gold or River Course at Kingsmill.  These are top tier courses amongst the best you'll ever be able to play.

256741[/snapback]

and as the saying goes"make sure you bring your wallet" I would guess the Horseshoe has to ba at least a buck fifty now. One really nice cource that is somewhat affordable(at least on vacation) is the TPC at VB. You could look into that.

For a truly affordable golf that all of you could play check out the Newport News muni

course at Deer Run. Here is the link. One of the better courses in the area. The championship course is great, worth at least triple what you will pay. The cardinal is good and less crowded, maybe good with the boy. Here is a link.

http://www.nngolfclub.com/courses.htm

The fireworks should be cool. If we do go to Busch Gardens, it will be on the last day in the area (Wed the 6th) so hopefully we will avoid a little of the independence day crowd.

We plan to stay onsite (or at least right next door) at the Woodlands Hotel & Suites.

256674[/snapback]

you gotta do busch gardens. one of my favorite amusement parks. they utilize some sort of crowd control, because the lines never seem that long, even for the best rides. also, you have to take the monorail over to the anheuser-busch factory and do a little "tasting" as part of your day there. :rolleyes:

you gotta do busch gardens.  one of my favorite amusement parks.  they utilize some sort of crowd control, because the lines never seem that long, even for the best rides.  also, you have to take the monorail over to the anheuser-busch factory and do a little "tasting" as part of your day there.  :P

256774[/snapback]

Unfortunately they've done away with the tours & free samples. :D

I forgot to mention that we are spending a day at Thomas Jefferson's Monticello on the way down.  Its a regular colonial cornacopia of fun :D  (I'm kidding, I love the fact that my son enjoys this stuff)

256635[/snapback]

They have good fireworks on July 4th...but it will be very crowded and probably very hot & humid. Bring bottled water, you'll be glad you did!

I am traveling this summer to colonial Williamsburg with my wife and 7 year old son (who is nuts about colonial history and the like (our vacation last year was to Mount Vernon)). I am wondering how many days do I need there. We were planning on 3 and then continuing on to Virginia beach for 3.  If this too long at Williamsburg. Will we run out of things to do??

:D

256612[/snapback]

I shouldn't say this, but, park on the edge of CW, take your family and walk the town. See how interested your son really is before you put your money down. CW is a totally open area, so walking around, at your leisure and your own pace is fine. You won't be able to go into most of the buildings without a badge, but there's a building on Duke of Glouster Street called the Lumber House where you can buy any pass combination you want. You can easily spend $80-$90 for your family, you make the call with a 7 year old, they're all unique!

I shouldn't say this, but, park on the edge of CW, take your family and walk the town.  See how interested your son really is before you put your money down.  CW is a totally open area, so walking around, at your leisure and your own pace is fine.  You won't be able to go into most of the buildings without a badge, but there's a building on Duke of Glouster Street called the Lumber House where you can buy any pass combination you want.  You can easily spend $80-$90 for your family, you make the call with a 7 year old, they're all unique!

257026[/snapback]

Full access to all buildings is included with our lodging. If I'm driving 9 hours to go there for my son, he WILL be interested!!!. DO YOU HERE ME SON!!!! BE INTERESTEDDDD!!!!! :D

Just kidding. Trips like this are a dream to him. Monticello, Mount Vernon and CW are like Disneyworld to my son.

Check out Pierce's Pitt BBQ

http://www.pierces.com/contact_us.asp

256828[/snapback]

Definately! Good place.

Also if your wife is into shopping they have a Prime Outlets right in Williamsburg. You'll probably read about the Williamsburg Pottery in the travel brochures and such. Don't bother. It's gone way downhill since the original owners were bought out. On your way from Williamsburg to Virginia Beach you can stop in at Bass Pro Shop in Hampton if that's your thing.

Full access to all buildings is included with our lodging.  If I'm driving 9 hours to go there for my son, he WILL be interested!!!. DO YOU HERE ME SON!!!! BE INTERESTEDDDD!!!!! :D

Just kidding. Trips like this are a dream to him. Monticello, Mount Vernon and CW are like Disneyworld to my son.

257106[/snapback]

:P:D Now I have never felt that way with my kids , never ever

This is totally unrelated to the original post but may be of interest to any campers in the VA area or plan to visit VA.

Kiptopeke State Park near Cape Charles on the south end of the DelMarVa peninsula is a great place to camp. It is clean, well-maintained, and reasonably sized. And the campers are removed from the RVs.

You can easily walk to a private beach. They also allow fishing 24 hours from the pier. They turn on lights on the side of the pier for night fishing.

From the south it is easily accessed by the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel which is a real marvel. There becomes a point on the bridge where no land is visible in any direction.

Because of its small size, spaces are reserved well ahead so plan if you want to camp there. A good place for a relaxing, yet fun, vacation because there is not the typical tourist craziness due to its location.

This is totally unrelated to the original post but may be of interest to any campers in the VA area or plan to visit VA.

Kiptopeke State Park near Cape Charles on the south end of the DelMarVa peninsula is a great place to camp.

257165[/snapback]

Great suggestion. The Eastern Shore of Virginia as it's known down here is a beautiful area. That's where I'm building homes, so anyone that's interested contact me HAHA.