Offseason strategies to improve the Bills

simpleman

I agree that those picks are a longshot but I think the Bills have 23 UFAs. In the salary cap era you need those picks to fill out depth, ST and the back of your roster. You hope that you hit on some guys like it looks like with Seymour. You probably need all of your draft picks and a couple of undraftted rookies on your roster. I just don't see how you can use 3 picks on QB unless it is someone like Luck. There are just too many spots to fill.

I understand your view, but i guess mine is that the difference between the 5-7 picks and undrafted rookies as far as the odds of being a longshot, are minimal at best. Most of those UFAs are just depth, filler. And the other fact is that many of those better players in those rounds would have been selected earlier, if it wasn't for red flags like off field issues. Like Karlos Williams, talented, great potential, great skills, but questions about off field issues. Most end up like him, but a very small percentage do rise above them. I guess those are the are the ones you hope for in the later rounds and why you value those picks so highly.

Players playing at or below the level of vet minimum. They will not make or break your team. Like a majority of the Bills free agents this year, they are not impact. I have never seen a study comparing the odds of getting outstanding talent in the upper rounds of the draft and as a UDFA, I would like to see one. Isn't that really what the theory behind moneyball is? I have seen such studies of higher rounds, but never later rounds.

Now this year is the exception for the Bills, since DW was exceptional at dumpster diving last year. Not sure if it was knowledge and skill, just the law of averages, the sheer volumes of dives, or just damn good luck. Groy, Brown, Lorax were all exceptions to a normal year. But there will be plenty of dumpster dives available this year and Undrafted Free Agents to fill out the depth and the back of the roster without worrying about needing those draft picks to do that. As have said repeatedly on this board over the past year, DW's greatest strength has been his ability to be very good at dumpster diving. I wish he was as good at picking out exceptional talent as he was as finding outstanding value at average or mediocre talent levels. We would be in the playoffs and he would be GM of the year every year.

Edited by simpleman

Off-season Realities:

1. Whether he stays or he goes, TT is at best a bridge QB.

2. Lil Doug is the last person you want looking for the next QB.

End Results:

18 and counting. Counting for as long as Lil Doug will stick Cardale/his newest stiff down the HC's throat.

Agreed. As long as Whaley is driving the bus, there won't be any rings or trophies. Whaley is the epitome of the saying that all it takes is one. As long as one person falls in love with a player that player has a job. Whaley doesn't have the patience or analytical nature to make good long term decisions. He just grabs at the low hanging fruit before someone else does. Edited by iinii

i think this season is unique in that there is no hope at all now... last year it was TT the undisputed starter, Shaq coming in, Cogs and Glenn signed... full roster, etc etc. second year in the schemes, etc etc.. it all looked really optimistic... now there is absolutely none of that.. all looks dark; complete restart, roster purge coming... someone tell me why long time Bills fans shouldn't just pack it up for a few years?

Your hope last season was misplaced. Ryan was still the HC and his "double" (plus some weight and hair) was brought in to fix everything (right!). Long time Bills fans wouldn't be long time Bills fans if they weren't accustomed to suffering. So please don't pack it in; it may not help.

i think this season is unique in that there is no hope at all now... last year it was TT the undisputed starter, Shaq coming in, Cogs and Glenn signed... full roster, etc etc. second year in the schemes, etc etc.. it all looked really optimistic... now there is absolutely none of that.. all looks dark; complete restart, roster purge coming... someone tell me why long time Bills fans shouldn't just pack it up for a few years?

I agree you should. Come back and post after we make playoffs.