romo and alex smith trades?

nuklz2594

IMHO, Alex Smith would be a slight upgrade. He is without a doubt a game manager and not a franchise QB. You pretty much know what you get with him. I myself would not advocate picking up Smith. The slight upgrade simply isn't worth it. I'd rather go with a stop gap QB like Hoyer or Moore until we can find a franchise QB.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alex Smith is at 17 million next year and then 20 million after that. In my opinion we would make the playoffs next year with Alex but we aren't making the super bowl or even AFC championship. I think I'd rather keep Tyrod put him with Dennison see where it goes. Draft a QB have a playoff season

Agree on Andy Reid how many coaches in the current NFL will be able to coach 20 years with one super bowl appearance. I could see the Chiefs making a switch for sure but to Foles.

Romo is so old and coming off 2 years of not playing I would have huge concerns. If he's right we are a playoff team and possible AFC championship contender if he's not Cardale or the drafted guy is playing and it's a learning year. Really a tough call and certainly not my #1 pick. I'd go #3 and Hughes

Alex Smith's cap hit is $17 mill and $21 mill. For the Chiefs.

Any team that traded for him would only have to pay his salary, not the amortized remains of his bonuses. So you'd only have to pay $10.8 salary plus a $2 mill roster bonus this year and and $14.5 mill plus a $2 mill roster bonus next year. Well worth it and over two years a bit more than $10 mill cheaper than Tyrod. I'd pay that in a second.

But I don't see the Chiefs letting him go unless they get Romo.

IMHO, Alex Smith would be a slight upgrade. He is without a doubt a game manager and not a franchise QB. You pretty much know what you get with him. I myself would not advocate picking up Smith. The slight upgrade simply isn't worth it. I'd rather go with a stop gap QB like Hoyer or Moore until we can find a franchise QB.

Disagree. He's the best game manager in football and has often shown the ability to step up and play beyond that level when he has to.

If Smith was available, I'd take him. And keep drafting guys as well, but I'd take Smith.

I'm not sure why people think that he is a slight upgrade? He's accounted for less yards a game, less TDs and more INTs over the last 2 years. If anything it's a lateral move but nothing supports it being an upgrade. Smith is a slightly worse version of Tyrod with a lot more miles and a ceiling that he's certainly reached.

Of all of the guys in that game manager tier the only one I'd take over Tyrod is Dalton (and it's close). Their numbers are similar as well but he is the best thrower in that group. I can't believe that I'm saying this but Tannehill isn't horrible either.

Alex Smith's cap hit is $17 mill and $21 mill. For the Chiefs.

Any team that traded for him would only have to pay his salary, not the amortized remains of his bonuses. So you'd only have to pay $10.8 salary plus a $2 mill roster bonus this year and and $14.5 mill plus a $2 mill roster bonus next year. Well worth it and over two years a bit more than $10 mill cheaper than Tyrod. I'd pay that in a second.

But I don't see the Chiefs letting him go unless they get Romo.

Disagree. He's the best game manager in football and has often shown the ability to step up and play beyond that level when he has to.

If Smith was available, I'd take him. And keep drafting guys as well, but I'd take Smith.

I didn't know the salary savings. If the opportunity exists, I would upgrade to Alex Smith and save 10 mil or so. However, my excitement would be tempered. Alex Smith as a Buffalo Bill just doesn't get me super excited.

If somehow Sammy manages to stay healthy he is one of our best offensive playmakers. People have been complaining about not incorporating him into the gameplan enough since he's been here. Alex Smith played an entire season without throwing a TD pass to a WR. This tells me all I need to know about Smith aka Trent 2.0. No thanks.