Rebuild or Reload?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1987 Bills, Rams, ColtsBuffalo Traded For the Rights to Corneilus BennettColts Traded For Eric DickersonRams Received From BuffaloRB Greg Bell88 1st89 1st89 SecondRams Received from IndyRB Owen Gill88 1st88 2nd89 2nd

So over the next decade which of those teams became a dynasty of sorts? It was not the two that received multiple draft picks.

Same idea. Strategically move up the board to get the blue chip talent needed to have a chance to win consistently over a long period of time. Or stay the course and hope 9 wins is enough for a wild card game.

If drafting high was the difference maker you think it is, then teams like Jacksonville, Rams and Cleveland would be Superbowl contenders by now.

Your strategy sucks. It is proven not to work again and again and again year after year.

The Bills, but the Dynasty of sorts was already built through the draft. Bennett was one of the final pieces. Look at the Bills draft picks and tell me what they are building. Start at QB and go from there.

Watch out for Jacksonville. They are loaded on the defensive side of the ball. Offensively not bad either. Coaching change will help. 17 years is along time to be saying somebody else's strategy sucks. Both the Rams and Cleveland have made the playoffs in the last 17 years.

A high second. It's still an upper pick on a QB. The way some around here talk, taking Cardale in the 4th means we don't need to take another.

Yea I don't agree with that. Cardale is a lottery ticket. Tyrod is what he is. If there is a guy you like there at #10 you take him. I am absolutely with you on that.

The Bills, but the Dynasty of sorts was already built through the draft. Bennett was one of the final pieces. Look at the Bills draft picks and tell me what they are building. Start at QB and go from there.

Watch out for Jacksonville. They are loaded on the defensive side of the ball. Offensively not bad either. Coaching change will help. 17 years is along time to be saying somebody else's strategy sucks. Both the Rams and Cleveland have made the playoffs in the last 17 years.

The Bills beat every single one of those teams the last time they played them - easily. How come the Bills are better than all of them then? How come your strategy of drafting higher hasn't made at least one of those teams better than the Bills?

Face it. Your strategy is only good for one thing - building a worse football team.

When it comes down to it, draft position is mostly irrelevant. The things that really matter are your ability to evaluate talent, your ability to manage your salaries due to salary cap and your coaching.

I am not a Jay Cutler fan but he has had his most success in a system like this. If he's cut then he might come cheap. He could also bring Alshon Jeffery with him as a FA. (let Woods walk) Could sign Rick Wagner at RT from the Ravens and walk away from S.Henderson and Mills. Try to re-sign Z.Brown but could also look at a Jelani Jenkins or AJ Klein for WLB in Free agency. Let Gilmore go get paid somewhere.

In the draft could get guys like Solomon Thomas (DE-Stanford) in the 1st and Montravious Adams (DT-Auburn) in the 2nd. Try and grab a guy like Desmond King (DB-Iowa) in the 3rd. Combine these three young guys with the talent already on the D and could look pretty good.

If Cutler was on a 1 or 2 year deal he would play his best and would allow Cardale Jones to continue to develop behind the scenes for the future.

Could easily be a playoff contender with a team like this so reload.

That seems to be the popular theory...

IMHO though...No one has properly explained exactly how you reload while taking on that TT contract, filling the roster that has 20 something UFA's opening up more than a couple needs, and only 6 Draft picks currently...

So good luck with that TT is back reload...It's theory at best...But probably more like fantasy... B-)

This line of thinking says rebuild, rebuild, rebuild?

The Bills, but the Dynasty of sorts was already built through the draft. Bennett was one of the final pieces. Look at the Bills draft picks and tell me what they are building. Start at QB and go from there. Watch out for Jacksonville. They are loaded on the defensive side of the ball. Offensively not bad either. Coaching change will help. 17 years is along time to be saying somebody else's strategy sucks. Both the Rams and Cleveland have made the playoffs in the last 17 years.

Fine, but the discussion has been about tanking and loading up on draft picks. If this strategy works then why based on that 1987 trade did the Colts and the Rams not become successful during the decade following that trade?

Edited by chris heff

Given what Brady did to the Falcons, I would like to have more discussion on Reload vs Rebuild. If the Bills tweak the roster, just where exactly are they going?

Nowhere as long as Brady and Belicick are around. Why not go young and acquire as much young talent as they can and let the team grow together? Otherwise, they'llbe 2nd or 3rd in the Division every year until Brady retires.

Given what Brady did to the Falcons, I would like to have more discussion on Reload vs Rebuild. If the Bills tweak the roster, just where exactly are they going?

Nowhere as long as Brady and Belicick are around. Why not go young and acquire as much young talent as they can and let the team grow together? Otherwise, they'llbe 2nd or 3rd in the Division every year until Brady retires.

I'm with you on this one. Table scraps is all this team will ever have so long as Brady continues playing.

Tank it. Sell, sell, sell.