Matt Jones runs 4.37 at 242 lbs at NFL Combine

Chilly

Wow, what an athlete.

6'6" and he ran that.

that's his unofficial 2nd run. 1st run was 4.43

254752[/snapback]

what a great TE he would be, with a 6 6 frame he could easily add 10-15 pounds and play TE at 6 6 250-260.

He could be the next Shockey or Winslow.

He was thought to be a late day one draft pick.  I think his stock just jumped up a little.  :o

254767[/snapback]

well, being unfamiliar with any other position than QB will hurt his stock some, if he started at TE for all 4 years we would probably be talking about a top 10 pick. Id say he will drop to mid, late 2nd and maybe farther because he is a tweener.

well, being unfamiliar with any other position than QB will hurt his stock some, if he started at TE for all 4 years we would probably be talking about a top 10 pick. Id say he will drop to mid, late 2nd and maybe farther because he is a tweener.

254769[/snapback]

I think playing QB would help him develop down the road. Who knows if he could step on the field now and contribute. I'm thinking he'll be heading to NFL Europe no matter who picks him.

I think playing QB would help him develop down the road.

254781[/snapback]

Although i don't disagree, see Eric Crouch. (BTW, he is someone i wouldn't mind Mularkey taking a look at and try to coax him out of retirement)

No player heads to NFLE as a rookie. And being a former QB with no TE experience is what will probably drop him from a 1st round pick, but he'll be taken high I'm sure. And as was said, having experience as a QB, as well as a basketball player, will only help him. Remember that Riemersma was a former QB, and that helped him a lot (and he had nowhere NEAR the speed Jones does, at the same size more or less).

what a great TE he would be, with a 6 6 frame he could easily add 10-15 pounds and play TE at 6 6 250-260.

Dude... you need to "think outside the box". Now let me get this straight.

He's 6'6' 242 and runs a 4.37 40. So why put 15 lbs. on him so he can play TE?

How about you just stak him up at wr and with that size and speed and let him match up with a 5'10" 190 lb. corner??? I mean Drew Bennett of the titans is 6'5" and about 205 and about a 4.5 or 4.6 40 time and he seems to be doing well at wr. Terrell Owens is 6'3" 225... so, proportionally speaking, how is that a whole lot different from 6'6" and 242??? 3 inches and 17 lbs.???

Dude... you need to "think outside the box".  Now let me get this straight.

He's 6'6' 242 and runs a 4.37 40.  So why put 15 lbs. on him so he can play TE?

How about you just stak him up at wr and with that size and speed and let him match up with a 5'10" 190 lb. corner???  I mean Drew Bennett of the titans is 6'5" and about 205 and about a 4.5 or 4.6 40 time and he seems to be doing well at wr.  Terrell Owens is 6'3" 225... so, proportionally speaking, how is that a whole lot different from 6'6" and 242??? 3 inches and 17 lbs.???

254799[/snapback]

I dont see a 240 pounder who is 6 6 standing up well to a LB who is 64 and 250 theres a fairly different body structure there.

If your implying that he should play WR, I think thats a waste of a very big very athletic guy. He is too big for WR and fairly slow, he doesnt have the quick in and out of his cuts that you need. He could be a stellar TE though if he gains some more muscle mass.

I actually watched him in the combine and yes he is athletic but more like a basketball player and less like the next Terrel Owens or Randy Moss. Drew Bennet looks to have better agility and quickness than this guy too, but I do think he could be the next Shockey with some added muscle mass.

What he doesnt have the tools for qb?  I got the feeling that he may not be blessed intellectually.

255006[/snapback]

I've watched him for four years playing for the Razorbacks. I doubt he will ever be an NFL QB. He's got the arm for it, but he's inaccurate and makes way too many bad decisions with the ball that he won't get away with in the NFL. I think his future is at WR or TE. Some will say he's not quick enough to play WR, but I don't agree. He does not look quick, but that's because of his size. He made more than a few SEC defenders miss him as an open field runner in college. I think he can make it at either position, but will probably settle in as a WR. He may have trouble gaining separation on a few routes, but it won't matter due to his advantage in size and strength over any CB he faces.

I've watched him for four years playing for the Razorbacks.  I doubt he will ever be an NFL QB.  He's got the arm for it,  but he's inaccurate and makes way too many bad decisions with the ball that he won't get away with in the NFL.  I think his future is at WR or TE.  Some will say he's not quick enough to play WR,  but I don't agree.  He does not look quick,  but that's because of his size.  He made more than a few SEC defenders miss him as an open field runner in college.  I think he can make it at either position,  but will probably settle in as a WR.  He may have trouble gaining separation on a few routes,  but it won't matter due to his advantage in size and strength over any CB he faces.

255044[/snapback]

at WR he is average, but with his speed and height at TE he could be awesome!!!!

He is better served to go the TE route where you can take advantage of his size and athleticisim rather than putting him up against track stars.

I've watched him for four years playing for the Razorbacks.  I doubt he will ever be an NFL QB.  He's got the arm for it,  but he's inaccurate and makes way too many bad decisions with the ball that he won't get away with in the NFL.  I think his future is at WR or TE.  Some will say he's not quick enough to play WR,  but I don't agree.  He does not look quick,  but that's because of his size.  He made more than a few SEC defenders miss him as an open field runner in college.  I think he can make it at either position,  but will probably settle in as a WR.  He may have trouble gaining separation on a few routes,  but it won't matter due to his advantage in size and strength over any CB he faces.

255044[/snapback]

I can remember when he first came on the scene, seeing a giant white guy run like that was startling. It was fairly clear however that he was a shabby passer. He did not make NFL-type progress in that category over the years. A lot of size-speed prospects in this draft, but they really stand out because there are so few guys who have good measurables and have produced against top notch competition.