Everything I hate about Today's Media - Rehashed Rumors

This is by far the only example, or the most egregious example, but this article is an example of everything I loathe about today's media.

The headline is stating something definite as news: Buffalo Bills have made decision to move on from Tyrod Taylor.

Then it adds the weasel tag (report) at the end.

The source for the article: Jason La Canfora's tweet. And that appears to be the ONLY source for the article, with no further research or interviews or investigation.

There's further "weaseling" in the article about how since La Canfora was "accurate" about the Rex firing, it's "very possible" he's right here too.

FTR, La Canfora was NOT accurate about the Rex firing - he said it would be weeks ago, and amidst speculation that Rex's job was in trouble all season when the team performed poorly, calling that "accurate" is sort of like throwing 16 darts at a calendar and claiming victory when one hits. Most NFL coaches not named Belichick and Cowher get fired sometime, after all. And wasn't he the one who reported an "ultimatum" about playoffs that has been firmly denied by the Pegulas and sources close to them, who say it would be out of character? Regardless, La Canfora has been wrong about many things too, thus earning the twitter nickname "LaConjecture" - so it's not logical to use his being "accurate" about one thing as a source for being "accurate" about other things, you could as well say he was "wrong" about something else thu is likely to be "wrong" here too.

It seems perfectly plausible that the decision to fire Rex had in fact NOT been made although his seat was hot, and one or more events in the Dolphins game (such as the 10 man penalty) was the final straw and the point of decision.

Whether or not La Canfora is correct, the article represents what is wrong with journalism today for the following reason:

1) its sole source is a tweet - which journalists have asserted as a private account with no need to verify or vet sources or fact-check as an article for AP would expect them to do

2) presenting an article with a "tweet" as the sole source in the same medium as other articles which do vet or verify sources, puts it on the same footing. It's essentially a setup for enabling "fake news"

3) putting articles by journalists who take seriously their responsibility to vet or verify sources and "fluff" pieces sourced by twitter on the same footing, makes it harder for them to do their job. there must be tremendous pressure to come up with "clickbait"

Ryan Talbot has done some good and legit stuff so I was very disappointed to see this from him.

This is by far the only example, or the most egregious example, but this article is an example of everything I loathe about today's media.

The headline is stating something definite as news: Buffalo Bills have made decision to move on from Tyrod Taylor.

The source for the article: Jason La Canfora's tweet. And that appears to be the ONLY source for the article, with no further research or interviews or investigation.

There's further "weaseling" in the article about how since La Canfora was "accurate" about the Rex firing, it's "very possible" he's right here too.

FTR, La Canfora was NOT accurate about the Rex firing - he said it would be weeks ago, and amidst speculation that Rex's job was in trouble all season when the team performed poorly, calling that "accurate" is sort of like throwing 16 darts at a calendar and claiming victory when one hits. Most NFL coaches not named Belichick and Cowher get fired sometime, after all. And wasn't he the one who reported an "ultimatum" about playoffs that has been firmly denied by the Pegulas and sources close to them, who say it would be out of character? Regardless, La Canfora has been wrong about many things too, thus earning the twitter nickname "LaConjecture" - so it's not logical to use his being "accurate" about one thing as a source for being "accurate" about other things, you could as well say he was "wrong" about something else thu is likely to be "wrong" here too.

It seems perfectly plausible that the decision to fire Rex had in fact NOT been made although his seat was hot, and one or more events in the Dolphins game (such as the 10 man penalty) was the final straw and the point of decision.

Whether or not La Canfora is correct, the article represents what is wrong with journalism today for the following reason:

1) its sole source is a tweet - which journalists have asserted as a private account with no need to verify or vet sources or fact-check as an article for AP would expect them to do

2) presenting an article with a "tweet" as the sole source in the same medium as other articles which do vet or verify sources, puts it on the same footing. It's essentially a setup for enabling "fake news"

3) putting articles by journalists who take seriously their responsibility to vet or verify sources and "fluff" pieces sourced by twitter on the same footing, makes it harder for them to do their job. there must be tremendous pressure to come up with "clickbait"

Ryan Talbot has done some good and legit stuff so I was very disappointed to see this from him.

Bless your heart. Did our recent presidential election teach you nothing? Facts are so 2012...

My favorite is when things don't go the way the media says it will, they say the team is in "disarray!" Lynn having a PC on coaches day is DISARRAY!!

Another fave is praising someone then ripping them a new one a second later. e.g. "Rex is a great coach" followed by "Rex was a terrible hire by the Bills."

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Tarring the entire media when what you are citing is the well-known execrable TBN's Bills "reporters" crew of out of touch, lazy, navel-gazing incompetents. In the very brief time Dunne covered the team, he did more interesting, factual reporting than Sully, Bucky or the rest have done in their entire tenures. He actually seemed to befriend players and got to know them personally which is why he could break news. The rest of those guys, with years in town and covering the Bills year round, never break a story. It is always LaConfora, Schefter or some other out of towner who has more pertinent info than them. Then, lazy asses that they are, they recycle those stories and call it a day, pretending they are real "journalists."

The main issue is technology. Anyone can create an "article" now. Most people are lazy and assume that whatever is online must be true without going to multiple sources; and even when they do, the next issue arises: to keep up with the clicks (advertising dollars) blogs get and the easy access people have to "news" without having to buy an actual newspaper or deal with a pay wall, the more traditional outlets have created journalists that turn the sports section into "hot-takes" to spur interest and get clicks.

Technology is killing many industries from photography to music to journalism. It's not just blue collar jobs.

Edited by purple haze

So when the Bills "move on from Taylor", you won't say a word I bet. This little tantrum thread will pop like a dirty bible in your bath tub.

Well, speaking strictly for myself, I don't consider my bibles dirty, I don't try to pop them, and and I don't place them in the bath tub. :sick:

I'm sure your kink is OK, though. :cry:

The Bills may move on from Taylor, the Bills may not move on from Taylor. If they do move on from Taylor, La Canfora's tweet is not a valid source for a news article saying they made the decision in mid-December. Moving on in March will not validate the tweet unless someone on the Bills says they made the decision in December or a verifiable source can be found.

There is a difference between a reporter and a columnist. They have different functions at a newspaper.

I would think any "hapless" fan would want to understand how their perspective came to that. When a team consistently doesn't make the post-season, some people (reporters, columnists, objective fans) typically ask why. How doesn't being a fan divorce oneself from analyzing that their team can't make the playoffs?

Events in the past week illustrate that dysfunction exists at OBD and it's spilling into the news more than it should. The MSM has a lot of faults, but in this case, local media has questioned recent happenings because they reveal a toxic environment.

That said, I can't wait for Monday.

Well, speaking strictly for myself, I don't consider my bibles dirty, I don't try to pop them, and and I don't place them in the bath tub. :sick:

I'm sure your kink is OK, though. :cry:

The Bills may move on from Taylor, the Bills may not move on from Taylor. If they do move on from Taylor, La Canfora's tweet is not a valid source for a news article saying they made the decision in mid-December. Moving on in March will not validate the tweet unless someone on the Bills says they made the decision in December or a verifiable source can be found.

Yeah, this is the type of contortion I expected to see when that happens.

Yeah, this is the type of contortion I expected to see when that happens.

I bet you look at the picture of mutant daisies and shake your head about the Fukashima power plant disaster too.

A tweet claiming something has already been decided is NOT validated if that something occurs months or weeks later.

First of all, one has to look at whether the tweeter is uniformly correct or even a very high percentage correct and the answer is "no, tweets all sorts of stuff that doesn't happen" so not to be relied upon

Second, correlation is not causation. This is not a "contortion", it's fundamental.

This really shouldn't be difficult.

I bet you look at the picture of mutant daisies and shake your head about the Fukashima power plant disaster too.

A tweet claiming something has already been decided is NOT validated if that something occurs months or weeks later.

First of all, one has to look at whether the tweeter is uniformly correct or even a very high percentage correct and the answer is "no, tweets all sorts of stuff that doesn't happen" so not to be relied upon

Second, correlation is not causation. This is not a "contortion", it's fundamental.

This really shouldn't be difficult.

Ahhhhh....huh?

Anyway, is it possible a decision has been made but won't be executed until weeks later?

Also, if the report is wrong and no decision has been made, what would happen "months" from now that would cause the Bills to then dump TT?

Ahhhhh....huh?

Anyway, is it possible a decision has been made but won't be executed until weeks later?

Also, if the report is wrong and no decision has been made, what would happen "months" from now that would cause the Bills to then dump TT?

Yes, it's possible a decision has been made to move on from TT

It's also possible that a decision has been made "we want to keep our option open, try to reno his contract and also now Rex is gone, let the next coach have input"

In that scenario, what would happen "months" from now (ie, March) that would cause the Bills to then dump TT is something like 1) they hire a new coach who feels he needs a better passer and is willing to sacrifice what TT brings to the run game (eg Foles, Bradford) AND they actually see a path to get their hands on one.

Therefore letting TT go in March (after his physical) does not prove LaCanfora is "right" that a decision was already made in December. It is potentially compatible with both scenarios.

Similar thing with Rex. Firing Rex before the last game does not prove it was correct there was a "playoffs, or out" ultimatum.

It is possible (though on the testimony of many that's not how Pegula works, it seems unlikely)

It is also possible that there was no ultimatum, but Rex cooked his own goose this season, due to poor coaching and game management decisions this fall. I think it's perfectly plausible that if we'd seen a hard-playing, maximum effort team and no stupid challenge decisions or 12 man/10 man on field situations, Rex would have been given a 3rd year, what with all the injuries and such.

Firing Rex is compatible with both scenarios.

In any case, the point isn't whether LaCanfora's tweet is right or wrong; the point is media using his tweet as a sole source without any research or additional sources, because tweeting is "personal" and not held to the same standards as journalism is supposed to be. Such practices make it more difficult for legit journalists (Ty Dunne, John Wawrow) who are actually obliged to have sources and vet them, to do their job.

Someone pointed out elsewhere that it's not a "season highlight video" it's a "pump up for Sunday" video, in which it would be strange to highlight a guy who ain't playing.

If it is, in fact, intended as a season highlight video then it's weird and dumb 'cuz even if the Bills do want to move on, Taylor was a huge part of this season so why pretend he wasn't