Good, LOOONG article on this year's draft

nodnarb

What I find interesting and disturbing, Nod, is the presumption that just because you have the #1 pick in the draft, you are expected to pay that pick $20M in guaranteed money. That's a bunch of crap. Why not make your pick, and offer him $5M.

I'm not a draftnik so I recognize I'm talking over my head here, but if the Niners can't trade down because no one wants to pay out $20M to a mediocre player, then why OFFER that much after you pick him? Offer the going rate and if the guys says no, let him try to get his dough elsewhere.

Christ, they're the forty-freakin-niners. You think a #1 pick is going to turn your team around?

What I find interesting and disturbing, Nod, is the presumption that just because you have the #1 pick in the draft, you are expected to pay that pick $20M in guaranteed money. That's a bunch of crap. Why not make your pick, and offer him $5M.

I'm not a draftnik so I recognize I'm talking over my head here, but if the Niners can't trade down because no one wants to pay out $20M to a mediocre player, then why OFFER that much after you pick him? Offer the going rate and if the guys says no, let him try to get his dough elsewhere.

Christ, they're the forty-freakin-niners. You think a #1 pick is going to turn your team around?

253392[/snapback]

Here's what I'd do: If you don't turn in your card by the alotted time, the next team in line has the first pick, but you don't lose your pick. After the next in line selects, you can make your pick at ANY TIME. You could wait until the 11th pick if you wanted, and then stick your nose in there and submit your card.

Leave the unwanted position in the Fin's lap.

253392[/snapback]

Having to come up with that dough is a small price to pay in the long run for the players association not contesting the draft. So the Niners have to take one for the team. Considering the good fortune they've had and all the times they've illegally circumvented the cap etc., who cares?

Here's what I'd do: If you don't turn in your card by the alotted time, the next team in line has the first pick, but you don't lose your pick. After the next in line selects, you can make your pick at ANY TIME. You could wait until the 11th pick if you wanted, and then stick your nose in there and submit your card.

253403[/snapback]

Yeah, but couldn't the Dolphins just do the same thing?

That would be a very unique draft.

On an unrelated note from later in the article:

• The top left offensive tackle in unrestricted free agency, some teams feel, might not even be a tackle. There are several teams suggesting Green Bay left guard Mike Wahle, who will be released by the Packers in the next few days for salary cap reasons, actually might project better to the more significant left tackle spot. That's certainly good news for Wahle and agent Neil Cornrich since, as has been pointed out here many times, tackles get bigger contracts than guards. Wahle, 27, actually looks more like a tackle, a long and rangy lineman (6 foot 6, 307 pounds) who moves well and always has been a strong technician in pass protection. The seven-year veteran was forced to play left tackle in the Packers' playoff game this year because of injuries, and he performed well. The teams to whom we spoke Friday feel Wahle, down the road, is probably a better tackle prospect than Jonas Jennings of the Buffalo Bills, probably the most high-profile tackle in the free-agent pool. Wahle is due a $6 million roster bonus next week, which is why the cap-strapped Packers will have to release him.

I know Wahle's name has been brought up a lot, but this doesn't help our chances.

Wait a second...THIS year's draft??  Didn't you know we only post draft reports from 2004 (specifically those on a QB out of Tulane) on this board??

253596[/snapback]

hey, i think i can tie both subjects into one post.....

it seems that if we're not going to have a first round pick, this is the year to not have one. that may have been part of TD's decision making process when he traded to pick losman last year.

OK, one more time - with feeling!

"With the 20th pick in the 2005 Draft, the Buffalo Bills select JP Losman, Quaterback from Tulane University."

Somehow, I just know it won't be the last time I get to say that.

Go ahead and feel empty and disappointed that the Bills "don't have a Number One pick in this year's draft." If you don't 'get it' too bad for you.

Hey the kid is guaranteed to be an impact player too - he's going to start.

Mark my words. :D

253403[/snapback]

That's actually quite interesting. You would actually end up spending less $$. However, I have to think that you could trade down from 1 to 10 for a first and a 7th, which is actually crazy cheap and end up getting more value and still have less of a rookie cap hit.