Leonard Cohen 1934-2016

Cugalabanza

as much as a music geek as i claim to be, never really got into him or got him. Not sure where i missed that bus, but I did

Not uncommon. A friend of mine who shares almost the same musical tastes as me can't stomach L. Cohen. I happen to think he's great. I even like his most recent album, from this year, a lot.

I'm glad you said that, i was kind of questioning myself, but i think he is very much in the same vein as Dylan, he takes some warming up to, and a lot of people don't get there. i guess i'm one that never got there with Cohen, and for the record, i am not a fan of his Halleluja song, just never dug it.

Not uncommon. A friend of mine who shares almost the same musical tastes as me can't stomach L. Cohen. I happen to think he's great. I even like his most recent album, from this year, a lot.

as much as a music geek as i claim to be, never really got into him or got him. Not sure where i missed that bus, but I did

You are not alone in this. I did not 'discover' L. Cohen until I heard the Jeff Buckley cover of Hallelujah.

His songs are amazing.

A strange personal story about Leonard Cohen:

When I was younger, I went to Montreal a couple times on vacation with my family. For some reason, I always get this weird feeling in Montreal, sort of a haunted, ancient feeling--that's the best way I can describe it. I had talked to my father about that. Of course, he didn't know what the hell I was talking about. A few years later, I got into Leonard Cohen's music. Some of those songs from the early albums gave me the same strange feeling. I thought it was really weird and kind of unmistakeably the same feeling. I don't know why, but it took me another couple years to discover that Cohen grew up in Montreal.

I'm glad you said that, i was kind of questioning myself, but i think he is very much in the same vein as Dylan, he takes some warming up to, and a lot of people don't get there. i guess i'm one that never got there with Cohen, and for the record, i am not a fan of his Halleluja song, just never dug it.

When I hear Cohen sing it just strikes me as emotional/passionate which doesn't come through with other artists.