The rest of the season

4merper4mer

I think we actually have a shot of sneaking into the playoffs, but we're not going to beat any good teams if we get there. The Bills need work. Here are the good/bad/question marks I see and the priorities for the rest of the season. They are not necessarily in order.

1. Rex has done much better than I thought he would and I have to give him some credit for that. he has adjusted his defensive plan from game to game and had more flexibility than I thought he would. The problem has not been game to game for Rex, it has been in game. In 3 of the 4 losses we have completely failed to adjust in game. The opponent has found a formula to score on every stinking drive and we've done nothing to stop it. You can excuse it to a degree against the Cheaters but for God's sake take away Ajayi and make Talleywhacker beat you. There is nothing to say about the Jets game that hasn't already been said. There is no excuse for that one. There are some teams coming up that we should just plain stop and some others that will require adjustments. We'll see.

1A. TT has done less than what I had hoped. I really like the kid and did not see the failures others saw coming in to 2016. I still see him as an odd case because he is an inaccurate QB who does not turn the ball over. Does that seem weird to anyone else? Obviously he can also do some really nice things. He doesn't have to be perfect but if he can make a few more plays a game with his arm we can win.

1 Overall - Have the injuries/absences hampered Rex and TT? Lawson, Dareus, A. Williams, Watkins and McCoy are at front of the mind but there are even more. Could the D dominate if healthy? Would the added weapons hide TT's faults? I am more inclined to say that Rex could do something better if he had all his parts and that we need more depth on offense. McCoy is special, but he will miss games every year. Gillislee is better than I thought but we to find more depth. In the end I have my doubts about both Rex and TT but I understand people disagreeing about either or both.

2. Scapegoating - I'm not sure why this is done and why it always ends up so focused. Do we have any clue what the assignments were on some of Gilmore's bad plays? It's definitely not a good look to turn around with your arms up during a play even if there is no chance at stopping the player, but do we really all need to get on our high horse and call it some sort of final straw? Is it ok for 99 to come back from a suspension out of shape and miss two more games, probably costing us 1 of them? Is it ok for 70 to play kinda crappy all year and play the part of team leader in the press? Is it ok for the staff to assign a 5'2" guy to go one on one with Gronk? Why the selective scapegoating? Because Gilmore is a pretty quiet guy? He is definitely among the top 10 most talented guys on the team, possibly top 5. Is he worth the cap hit next year? That's Whaley's job. He's also a guy that would need to be replaced if gone. Careful what you wish for.

3. Remaining schedule - Not impossible at all. There are a lot of teams we can beat, including this week. Rex and co. got us going against some bad teams earlier in the year including against an average Cardinals team that everyone thought was great at the time. Why not beat a pretty bad Seattle team, get rested and take our shot at Cincy. Browns, Jags, Fish, Jets? It ain't time to quit.

4. Who are we, now and moving forward? Is this Rex's team? Do they want to play together? Are we just one or two pieces away even if a big one is QB? Win or lose there is an opportunity to show that the team does not need dismantling. They can show it by playing well, but maybe more importantly establishing a solid personality. I see bits of it, but I don't see it solidified just yet. I can tell you that one aspect of the personality better be that we are not going to be pushed around and we do have each others backs. You have to show that week in and week out. I see it at times, not so much at other times. One person the NEEDS to find out that we won't be pushed around is Jarvis Landry. If they don't show him that, they will never be a team IMO.

I think we actually have a shot of sneaking into the playoffs, but we're not going to beat any good teams if we get there. The Bills need work. Here are the good/bad/question marks I see and the priorities for the rest of the season. They are not necessarily in order.

1. Rex has done much better than I thought he would and I have to give him some credit for that. he has adjusted his defensive plan from game to game and had more flexibility than I thought he would. The problem has not been game to game for Rex, it has been in game. In 3 of the 4 losses we have completely failed to adjust in game. The opponent has found a formula to score on every stinking drive and we've done nothing to stop it. You can excuse it to a degree against the Cheaters but for God's sake take away Ajayi and make Talleywhacker beat you. There is nothing to say about the Jets game that hasn't already been said. There is no excuse for that one. There are some teams coming up that we should just plain stop and some others that will require adjustments. We'll see. Agreed

1A. TT has done less than what I had hoped. I really like the kid and did not see the failures others saw coming in to 2016. I still see him as an odd case because he is an inaccurate QB who does not turn the ball over. Does that seem weird to anyone else? Obviously he can also do some really nice things. He doesn't have to be perfect but if he can make a few more plays a game with his arm we can win. Others have said it, and I have finally witnessed it: he does not anticipate where his receiver will be in the defense. He waits to throw the ball to an open receiver, rather than throwing the ball to where the receiver should be.

1 Overall - Have the injuries/absences hampered Rex and TT? Lawson, Dareus, A. Williams, Watkins and McCoy are at front of the mind but there are even more. Could the D dominate if healthy? Would the added weapons hide TT's faults? I am more inclined to say that Rex could do something better if he had all his parts and that we need more depth on offense. McCoy is special, but he will miss games every year. Gillislee is better than I thought but we to find more depth. In the end I have my doubts about both Rex and TT but I understand people disagreeing about either or both. Injuries are piling up. Ragland is a big loss (he is losing one year of learning the Rex D). Shaq is back but needs to get his on-field bearings...he looks promising. The biggest losses are AW, Sammy and Shady. I give Rex a pass with these huge losses.

2. Scapegoating - I'm not sure why this is done and why it always ends up so focused. Do we have any clue what the assignments were on some of Gilmore's bad plays? It's definitely not a good look to turn around with your arms up during a play even if there is no chance at stopping the player, but do we really all need to get on our high horse and call it some sort of final straw? Is it ok for 99 to come back from a suspension out of shape and miss two more games, probably costing us 1 of them? Is it ok for 70 to play kinda crappy all year and play the part of team leader in the press? Is it ok for the staff to assign a 5'2" guy to go one on one with Gronk? Why the selective scapegoating? Because Gilmore is a pretty quiet guy? He is definitely among the top 10 most talented guys on the team, possibly top 5. Is he worth the cap hit next year? That's Whaley's job. He's also a guy that would need to be replaced if gone. Careful what you wish for.

3. Remaining schedule - Not impossible at all. There are a lot of teams we can beat, including this week. Rex and co. got us going against some bad teams earlier in the year including against an average Cardinals team that everyone thought was great at the time. Why not beat a pretty bad Seattle team, get rested and take our shot at Cincy. Browns, Jags, Fish, Jets? It ain't time to quit. Agreed

4. Who are we, now and moving forward? Is this Rex's team? Do they want to play together? Are we just one or two pieces away even if a big one is QB? Win or lose there is an opportunity to show that the team does not need dismantling. They can show it by playing well, but maybe more importantly establishing a solid personality. I see bits of it, but I don't see it solidified just yet. I can tell you that one aspect of the personality better be that we are not going to be pushed around and we do have each others backs. You have to show that week in and week out. I see it at times, not so much at other times. One person the NEEDS to find out that we won't be pushed around is Jarvis Landry. If they don't show him that, they will never be a team IMO. Our team's toughness was questioned in the Pats' game....the Pats were the bullies in that game. We need to get back to old school, smash mouth football (on offense and defense).

Good post OP. I agree with most. I do not give Rex a pass though. Yes there are injuries but we have injuries every year. Almost to the point I'm wondering should we be firing our strength and conditioning coach. It's a little ridiculous. Secondly Rex is not a good. It's the games that we should win that is the issue. He is not a good motivator,he is to predictable, he does not know how to make adjustments, his game plans are average at best and worst of all his game management skills are so bad I have to turn off the last 2 minutes of each have or I will through a beer at my TV.

But in all fairness I do not blame him. We know what we were getting when he was hired. A good friend of mine who is a jets fan absolutely loths this guy and I see why. Games of looking up and good followed by games of the exact opposite. He is a .500 coach and always will be. Even if we had, let's say Matt Ryan or Derrek Car he would still be .500. it is who he is and will always be. Yeah he had a good year or two in NY but then he had horrible years all averaging .500.

I blame the owners for actually hiring this Clown. Until there is mentality change at the top about what it takes to win this will never change. Rex will be fired we will hire another average coach who tries to draft a QB in the first round and unless he gets lucky and makes the right choice it will be another Trent or J.P or EJ. Even so if we did Ind the right guy for QB we wouldn't have thought coaching, offensive line or talent around him to make him Successful.

Edited by BILLS55

Good post OP. I agree with most. I do not give Rex a pass though. Yes there are injuries but we have injuries every year. Almost to the point I'm wondering should we be firing our strength and conditioning coach. It's a little ridiculous. Secondly Rex is not a good. It's the games that we should win that is the issue. He is not a good motivator,he is to predictable, he does not know how to make adjustments, his game plans are average at best and worst of all his game management skills are so bad I have to turn off the last 2 minutes of each have or I will through a beer at my TV.

But in all fairness I do not blame him. We know what we were getting when he was hired. A good friend of mine who is a jets fan absolutely loths this guy and I see why. Games of looking up and good followed by games of the exact opposite. He is a .500 coach and always will be. Even if we had, let's say Matt Ryan or Derrek Car he would still be .500. it is who he is and will always be. Yeah he had a good year or two in NY but then he had horrible years all averaging .500.

I blame the owners for actually hiring this Clown. Until there is mentality change at the top about what it takes to win this will never change. Rex will be fired we will hire another average coach who tries to draft a QB in the first round and unless he gets lucky and makes the right choice it will be another Trent or J.P or EJ. Even so if we did Ind the right guy for QB we wouldn't have thought coaching, offensive line or talent around him to make him Successful.

I disagree with Rex being a .500 coach no matter what. Rex will post an above average W-L record (less than .500) with an above average roster. He'll post a below average W-L record with below average roster.

I do agree that he's a very average coach. If we keep Rex, it'll be on Whaley to turn the team into a winner.