How is Pegula going to salvage this mess?

gjv001

For the most part I'm a Whaley support and have stated , if you're going to get rid of him, what makes you think you'll find someone better to replace him with. If talented front office people were available, every team would have one.

Having said that I do feel the biggest issue on this team isn't so much Rex as much as lack of talent. Whaley has made many good moved over the years, more than Nix and Levy did, but he's failed bad on the big moves. The Hughes trade, signing TT to a team friendly deal, resigning Cog, Glenn, and others were good.

I don't think trading a 1st and a 4th for Watkins was so bad if Watkins had lived up to his expectations. Trading Kiko for McCoy was good until you resigned him to an extended overpaid deal. The Clay deal wasn't bad except his play has dropped off. Kind of over stating the obvious, but the number of bad deals is starting to become too many to compete. When you compare for example the Jet's WR against Buffalo last night, how could they expect to win.

Maybe Whaley would be fine to continue as GM, provided there's someone over seeing and approving his moves as he seems to be too big of a gambler on his own.

A rebuild this time will have a better chance of success than prior rebuilds. The Pegulas are willing to spend money, and they will make available the necessary resources. Although the team has a lot of holes, they also have at least some talented players that can be a part of a rebuilt team, including Hughes, Glenn, Dareus (assuming he can get it together) and Watkins. Of course, success will depend on finding the right GM and coaching staff more than anything else. I hope we do better the next time.