Eagles' DT Fletcher Cox Gets a Big Deal

The player it affects more than Miller is Mo Wilkerson. Same position and I think Wilkerson is better. Looks like Woody is cheap?

"He has no long-term future (with NYJ). If there was any doubt, the Cox contract clinches it."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60914/mo-wilkerson-will-get-long-term-deal-someday-but-it-wont-be-from-jets

Edited by YoloinOhio

The player it affects more than Miller is Mo Wilkerson. Same position and I think Wilkerson is better. Looks like Woody is cheap?

"He has no long-term future (with NYJ). If there was any doubt, the Cox contract clinches it." http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60914/mo-wilkerson-will-get-long-term-deal-someday-but-it-wont-be-from-jets

Man, the Jest are screwing the pooch. Their spending and personnel decisions are getting to be a mess. They have a bad cap situation, no QB and it looks like they're looking like they'll lose their best from 7 player after this season. Oh, and they'll lose him in part to retain a guy with big character issues who could be suspended indefinitely with one more screw up. That ship has full sails and is aimed right at some big rocks.

Man, the Jest are screwing the pooch. Their spending and personnel decisions are getting to be a mess. They have a bad cap situation, no QB and it looks like they're looking like they'll lose their best from 7 player after this season. Oh, and they'll lose him in part to retain a guy with big character issues who could be suspended indefinitely with one more screw up. That ship has full sails and is aimed right at some big rocks.

they have a ton of money wrapped up in aging players (good players, but closer to decline than prime) like revis, Marshall, forte and mangold and don't pay young, elite homegrown players or their QB . Maybe they plan to pay Richardson instead but I wouldn't depend on him to stay out of trouble. Edited by YoloinOhio

Had to figure that the great DLmen were fixing to cash in after that absurd contract that Malik Jackson got...that one still sickens me--$15M/year for a guy with 4 sacks last year (a career high by the way).

As to Mo Wilkerson, I wonder if a team like Pittsburgh or Green Bay--who are (a) gearing up for a title run, (b) don't have that stalwart DLman, and © don't have franchise-defender-type money committed to any one player--would make a move to trade for him before TC. I suppose Washington could be a possibility as well when I consider the above criteria.

Edited by thebandit27

Had to figure that the great DLmen were fixing to cash in after that absurd contract that Malik Jackson got...that one still sickens me--$15M/year for a guy with 4 sacks last year (a career high by the way).

As to Mo Wilkerson, I wonder if a team like Pittsburgh or Green Bay--who are (a) gearing up for a title run, (b) don't have that stalwart DLman, and © don't have franchise-defender-type money committed to any one player--would make a move to trade for him before TC. I suppose Washington could be a possibility as well when I consider the above criteria.

Did you see what GB signed mike Daniels for, compared to what the jags gave Malik Jackson?

Mike Daniels: 4 yrs, $42 million

Malik Jackson: 6 yrs, $85 million

Did you see what GB signed mike Daniels for, compared to what the jags gave Malik Jackson?

Mike Daniels: 4 yrs, $42 million

Malik Jackson: 6 yrs, $85 million

Indeed I did Yolo...and I remarked at the time that I felt Daniels was at least a comparable player.

I was mistaken about Jackson's numbers though--he had 5 sacks last year, and had 6 in 2013.

Still, he got close to the AAV of Mario Williams, which is patently absurd.

@gil_brandt

Fletcher Cox's new contract has an average yearly salary of $17.1M with $63M guaranteed. It is second-highest non-QB deal in NFL history.

You know that unless the salary cap ceases growing that this is basically going to happen every year, right? With roster sizes constant; a CBA agreed league minimum based on experience; and a requirement for teams to spend 97.5% of whatever the cap is; they're going to keep signing bigger and bigger contracts for talented players at key positions. Is Fletcher Cox better or more valuable than Marcel Dareus? It's debatable of course, but last year's $95m with $60m guaranteed seemed big at the time for Dareus. Cox now getting $102.6m with $63.3m to me is simply that escalation taking the expected form. At the end of the day, I think 9-figure contracts with $50m+ guaranteed are going to be the norm for teams best players. It's what the market is paying.

You know that unless the salary cap ceases growing that this is basically going to happen every year, right? With roster sizes constant; a CBA agreed league minimum based on experience; and a requirement for teams to spend 97.5% of whatever the cap is; they're going to keep signing bigger and bigger contracts for talented players at key positions. Is Fletcher Cox better or more valuable than Marcel Dareus? It's debatable of course, but last year's $95m with $60m guaranteed seemed big at the time for Dareus. Cox now getting $102.6m with $63.3m to me is simply that escalation taking the expected form. At the end of the day, I think 9-figure contracts with $50m+ guaranteed are going to be the norm for teams best players. It's what the market is paying.

Yep...watch what Aaron Donald and Kawann Short get next offseason.

Escalation has never been more apparent than this offseason, when a guy like Dwayne Allen--who has 47 receptions total over the past 3 seasons--gets more money AAV than Charles Clay, who had 51 catches in 13 games last year.

Throw in a guy like Damon Harrison, who got $9M AAV despite playing a mere 53% of the Jets' defensive snaps last year, and we've hit lunacy when it comes to overpaying on the open market.

In light of that, we wonder why a guy like Gilmore thinks he's worth $15M AAV...the answer, of course, is that he'll get it on the open market.

Yep...watch what Aaron Donald and Kawann Short get next offseason.

Escalation has never been more apparent than this offseason, when a guy like Dwayne Allen--who has 47 receptions total over the past 3 seasons--gets more money AAV than Charles Clay, who had 51 catches in 13 games last year.

Throw in a guy like Damon Harrison, who got $9M AAV despite playing a mere 53% of the Jets' defensive snaps last year, and we've hit lunacy when it comes to overpaying on the open market.

In light of that, we wonder why a guy like Gilmore thinks he's worth $15M AAV...the answer, of course, is that he'll get it on the open market.

If he could stay healthy, I do think he would be worth that much. None the less, my understanding is that Norman has missed just as many games as Gilmore has and is in that range. So why wouldn't he be in that discussion? Hard to say IMO. When he's on the field, he's an every down corner you want on your opponent's #1 WR.