Laveranues Coles to be released

d_wag

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1996404

amazing they can't get any trade value out of him.......he's still very young at 27........perhaps returning signing bonus money precludes that? any salary cap experts know?

quite a waste of a 1st round pick........

and no, just to nip it in the bud before someone suggests it, he's not an option here........he's too good to play #3 for us........

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1996404

amazing they can't get any trade value out of him.......he's still very young at 27........perhaps returning signing bonus money precludes that? any salary cap experts know?

247252[/snapback]

Wash. Post

Should Coles be released, one source said, he would return part of his $13 million signing bonus to minimize salary cap ramifications. Tomorrow is the first day that NFL teams are allowed to waive players.

Wash. Post

Should Coles be released, one source said, he would return part of his $13 million signing bonus to minimize salary cap ramifications. Tomorrow is the first day that NFL teams are allowed to waive players.

247262[/snapback]

yea, i know he's returning money.......i just wonder if that is the reason they aern't trading him........i would think they'd be able to get something for him.........

Just one of many examples of guys having huge success with one team then going after the $$ and not having the same success with the new team. Coles had a special chemistry with Pennington. He should have stayed there. Moulds understands this whole process and I'm glad he wants to stay a Bill and not risk being a has been on some other club.

yea, i know he's returning money.......i just wonder if that is the reason they aern't trading him........i would think they'd be able to get something for him.........

247267[/snapback]

Florio's Take :D

Our guess is that the decision was driven by the fact that receiver Rod Gardner is already on the block, which likely would drive down the compensation the team would get for either guy. And from a pure ego standpoint, our sense is that Snyder would prefer to appear decisive and get nothing in return for Coles in lieu of suffering widespread criticism for having merely a fourth or a fifth-round pick to show for the chest-thumping pilferage of Coles from the Jets in 2003.

(It's also possible that the rules would not have permitted the 'Skins to get cap relief via a partial signing bonus refund and trade Coles at the same time. We're looking into that wrinkle.)

Just one of many examples of guys having huge success with one team then going after the $$ and not having the same success with the new team.  Coles had a special chemistry with Pennington.  He should have stayed there.  Moulds understands this whole process and I'm glad he wants to stay a Bill and not risk being a has been on some other club.

247272[/snapback]

Yeah! see Peerless Price. :D

Coles is not good enough to be a number one receiver anymore. This is a classic example of fans of ne team commenting about another team's palyer.

Coles drops everything thing thrown his weay. He has run nothing but sloppy routes the past two and a half seasons. Either he is stupid or he just refuses to come back for the ball when the QB is pressured. He is a HUGE reason the Deadskins sucked last year.