Gil Brandt says Bills are Biggest Threat in the AFC East

This is an example of Gil Brandt's poor writing. He states a premise, backs it up with facts, and then in his last sentence, says the exact opposite of his premise.

What was poorly wriitten?

Brandt says the Bills are the biggest threat to overtake NE, and never contradicts it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fine, no one else is discussing it either, everyone just talks as if this team actually knows what it's doing and as if sticking our heads in the sand mitigates it somehow.

So let's move on to easier stuff.

What happens if Watkins goes down?

What happens if Taylor goes down?

What if both go down?

How do you envision our offense playing under those circumstances?

Is this anything that you've heard all the people applauding our draft even discuss seriously or at length in an analytical manner? I haven't seen it other than by journalists non-grata here.

As I see it we won't win any more games under either scenario much more so if both go out. And Watkins as we know is injury prone. For that matter Woods had his share last season as well with both players missing a combined 9 games. That's over 25% of the WR player-games for two starting WRs.

I would envision Buffalo's offense playing a lot like they did against Cinci and Jacksonville--try to run the ball as much as possible and get a few key plays down the field. If the defense can get better in year 2, then they'd have a shot in those games.

Now, answer this:

- What happens to NE/GB/Pit/etc. if their starting QBs go down? Or their #1 WRs? Or both?

Oh wait, the same thing that would happen to Buffalo.

What's your point?

I would envision Buffalo's offense playing a lot like they did against Cinci and Jacksonville--try to run the ball as much as possible and get a few key plays down the field. If the defense can get better in year 2, then they'd have a shot in those games.

Now, answer this:

- What happens to NE/GB/Pit/etc. if their starting QBs go down? Or their #1 WRs? Or both?

What's your point?

Nattering Nabobs of Negativity rarely have any that make sense.

Nattering Nabobs of Negativity rarely have any that make sense.

I'm actually trying to be receptive to TG here...I'm hoping there's a point beyond "we're doomed if our best players all get hurt for a long period of time", because for me, that's among the most obvious of statements to even a casual observer.

I'm actually trying to be receptive to TG here...I'm hoping there's a point beyond "we're doomed if our best players all get hurt for a long period of time", because for me, that's among the most obvious of statements to even a casual observer.

A good place to start would be getting some factual information in order to make a good case his posts. But in the interim......

UntidyThornyHoatzin-size_restricted.gif

It's not about sticking heads in the sand just because I and maybe others are not interested in relitigating the 2015 season for the 1000th time on TSW.

What happens to any team if their key players get injured?

You can't move past 2015 and have BBFS. Enjoy yourself.

I wasn't referring to you, I was referring the wealth of people out there talking as if A, they understand this team, and B, are all saying pretty much exactly the same thing.

Either way, sorry to try to engage you, I see you don't have any answers yourself. So yeah, I guess I do include you in with the rest of them.

I'm learning so much here!

Apparently we're the only team that would get worse without our starting QB and/or #1 WR.

I've also learned that Sammy Watkins--who's missed a total of 3 games out of 32 (as in, played in over 90%), is injury prone.

Which team has a bigger dropoff in talent from Watkins/Woods to what, Woods/??? and from Taylor to what, Jones? Manuel?

Which of the other 31 teams has a bigger dropoff?

Of those, which are actually in contention for a winning season much less playoffs by the same pundits out there applauding our draft?

Meanwhile, Washington was depth and we still don't have that prolific edge rusher that just about everyone defending our draft said we needed prior to the draft.

I wasn't referring to you, I was referring the wealth of people out there talking as if A, they understand this team, and B, are all saying pretty much exactly the same thing.

Either way, sorry to try to engage you, I see you don't have any answers yourself. So yeah, I guess I do include you in with the rest of them.

OK, good to know.

Carolina lost Benjamin last year, who outplayed Watkins in their rookie seasons, and it didn't seem to affect them.

So I guess if we apply that logic, then if Watkins gets hurt during the preseason we're headed for the Super Bowl.

That sounds about right based on what I'm reading here. The logic is identical.

OK, good to know.

It is what it is.

What do you want me to do, beg you for some intelligent statements and answers to simple questions.

[shrug]

And we wonder why expectations here typically aren't met.

Now, answer this:

What's your point?

All season long? Well, OK.

Which team has a bigger dropoff in talent from Watkins/Woods to what, Woods/??? and from Taylor to what, Jones? Manuel?

Of those, which are actually in contention for a winning season much less playoffs by the same pundits out there applauding our draft?

Meanwhile, Washington was depth and we still don't have that prolific edge rusher that just about everyone defending our draft said we needed prior to the draft.

I'm confused.

Is your point that Buffalo didn't have a good draft because they didn't pick up a backup QB that you think can start and a #1 WR?

That's a horrendous way to gauge a draft.

Did they pick good players from winning programs that can contribute right away at key positions? That, to me, makes far more sense.

What you're talking about is depth of roster talent, not the quality of the draft.

Now, in that light, I'll say that nearly every team is in the same boat if they lose their starting QB. You tell me: who's prepared to win without their starter long-term? Maybe Denver?

They drafted an edge rusher with their first pick, his name is Shaq Lawson. I'm not sure what you'll term "prolific", but he had 12.5 sacks and 25.5 TFLs in 13 games last year. And by the way, there's a pretty decent pass rusher on the other side of him.

Washington isn't depth; he's going to start at 5-tech.

I'm really trying here, but what, exactly, is your point?

I'll take a shot: Aaron Rodgers to Brett Hundley & Julio Jones to Eric Weems

What do I win?

This is a run dominant team.....so resources have not been placed early into making sure our 2nd receiver is as good as Watkins

I think that instead of looking at how strong overall our WR stable is.....we need to take a look at who the "pass catchers" are on this team

for instance

We use our RB's a LOT in the passing game....and by the looks of things they can all catch the rock.....also.(and a very underused aspect last year) our true FB Felton that we insist on keeping on the team? He catches very well.

We have exchanged having a great WR stable for having a great RB stable and have "parts" in the receiving game that match our QBs strengths.

Carolina lost Benjamin last year, who outplayed Watkins in their rookie seasons, and it didn't seem to affect them.

So I guess if we apply that logic, then if Watkins gets hurt during the preseason we're headed for the Super Bowl.

It is what it is.

What do you want me to do, beg you for some intelligent statements and answers to simple questions.

[shrug]

And we wonder why expectations here typically aren't met.

Oh they were simple alright, most teams cannot withstand too many injuries to key players and the Bills are no exception. It's a pretty obvious answer.

Going back to the 2014 season to compare Benjamin and Watkins as if player development remains stagnant is pretty pointless IMO.

Expectations aren't being met because of Bills' fans? Is that what you are intimating?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I'm confused.

Is your point that Buffalo didn't have a good draft because they didn't pick up a backup QB that you think can start and a #1 WR?

That's a horrendous way to gauge a draft.

Did they pick good players from winning programs that can contribute right away at key positions? That, to me, makes far more sense.

What you're talking about is depth of roster talent, not the quality of the draft.

Now, in that light, I'll say that nearly every team is in the same boat if they lose their starting QB. You tell me: who's prepared to win without their starter long-term? Maybe Denver?

They drafted an edge rusher with their first pick, his name is Shaq Lawson. I'm not sure what you'll term "prolific", but he had 12.5 sacks and 25.5 TFLs in 13 games last year. And by the way, there's a pretty decent pass rusher on the other side of him.

Washington isn't depth; he's going to start at 5-tech.

I'm really trying here, but what, exactly, is your point?

FWIW, both Lawson and Ragland were 1st team AP All-Americans, at need positions, from the 2 teams that competed for the National Title.

Nice non-sequitur.

Tell me what WR Carolina had last year that is so much better than Woods. Go ahead, I'll wait (hint: not a single Panthers WR had more catches than Woods' 47 receptions).

But thanks for putting words into my mouth.

All season long? Well, OK.

Tell you what: as soon as you answer my question, we'll continue, since I've answered yours.

What is ANY team's model for winning when they lose their starting QB and/or #1 WR?

so we are comparing Aaron Rogers (a future HOF qb) to Tyrod Taylor (a late round pick who's ceiling might be a top 10-12 QB)

No, we are comparing the dropoff as TG suggested. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/186469-gil-brandt-says-bills-are-biggest-threat-in-the-afc-east/?p=3945067

Matt Ryan to Sean Renfree, does that work better for you?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

You win the chance to try to figure out TG's point...I'm losing interest in the practice

I never mind when people disagree as long as their point is well thought out and valid. Without sounding dismissive, it doesn't make a ton of sense. The Bills can probably sustain injuries as well as most teams in the league (knocks on wood).

I know I am jumping into this late so maybe I am missing the point? Maybe someone can tell me if i am way off base

- TG is saying that if we (god forbid) lost Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods became our number 1 that it would be Tyrod Taylor's fault if the offense regressed because he is not Aaron Rogers?

:)

I know I am jumping into this late so maybe I am missing the point? Maybe someone can tell me if i am way off base

- TG is saying that if we (god forbid) lost Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods became our number 1 that it would be Tyrod Taylor's fault if the offense regressed because he is not Aaron Rogers?

:)

Not too far off, he is basically saying that if the Bills lose Watkins and Taylor they are in trouble (duh). Bandit countered with, "Isn't every team in trouble if they lose their QB and star WR?" That is pretty much what is unfolding here now.