Canada Can't Save You

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a basic and uninformed grasp of everything Canadian. Nothing like a guy living in the black hole of New York telling us how crummy other systems are.

248230[/snapback]

Wah.

He's right on the money as usual. Leo is FAR more informed than you, me, or ANYBODY else around these parts.

Feel free to rebut it point by point, then.

248432[/snapback]

I am technically half Canadian. No need to rebut. It was an opinion based, mostly tongue in cheek, column. You want my opinion on the CFL and food decisions? I have zero desire to explain why my former culture is funny to a guy like this.

I am technically half Canadian. No need to rebut. It was an opinion based, mostly tongue in cheek, column. You want my opinion on the CFL and food decisions? I have zero desire to explain why my former culture is funny to a guy like this.

248607[/snapback]

It was? I like how you selectively pick out the most innocuous things in the article and ignore the meat.

"Any material cited for "undue exploitation of sex" or for being "degrading or dehumanizing" can be banned. Speech is illegal if it "promotes hatred" or spreads "false news." Advertising "directed at children" can be ruled illegal. If the recorded message on your answering machine is deemed discriminatory, you can be prosecuted for it. In Saskatchewan, a newspaper ad listing four biblical citations against homosexuality (just the listing, no text), accompanied by two hand-holding male stick figures with a line drawn across them, was ruled a human-rights offense, and the man who placed the ad was directed to pay $1,800 each to three gay men who were offended by the ad."

"The rate of certain "contact" crimes (robbery, sexual assault, and assault with force) is over 1.5 times higher in Canada than in the United States."

"A 2000 report from the Heritage Foundation found long waiting lists, government rationing, and substandard care in Canada's system. Drug spending is controlled, according to the report, by limiting the number of approved drugs and slowing down the approval process. In one four-year period, Canada approved only 24 of 400 new drugs."

"Radio stations must play Canadian music at least 35 percent of the time. Strict rules determine what music is Canadian enough to fill the quota. Though Celine Dion is Canadian, her hit "My Heart Will Go On" was insufficiently Canadian, since the lyricist, the songwriter, and the recording were non-Canadian."

"a February 2 National Post /Global National poll found that two thirds of Canadians oppose gay marriage and would most likely vote against it in a national plebiscite."

But let's concentrate on the food choice/football part...

"HOTPOCKETS!"

It was?  I like how you selectively pick out the most innocuous things in the article and ignore the meat.

OK, I'll bite.

"Any material cited for "undue exploitation of sex" or for being "degrading or dehumanizing" can be banned. Speech is illegal if it "promotes hatred" or spreads "false news." Advertising "directed at children" can be ruled illegal. If the recorded message on your answering machine is deemed discriminatory, you can be prosecuted for it. In Saskatchewan, a newspaper ad listing four biblical citations against homosexuality (just the listing, no text), accompanied by two hand-holding male stick figures with a line drawn across them, was ruled a human-rights offense, and the man who placed the ad was directed to pay $1,800 each to three gay men who were offended by the ad."

A great example of sensationalism. You can pick obscure US laws and verdicts to slant information as well. It is not the norm. Canadians have free speech as well, don't worry.

"The rate of certain "contact" crimes (robbery, sexual assault, and assault with force) is over 1.5 times higher in Canada than in the United States."

Once again notice the careful wording "certain contact crimes" are 1.5 percent higher. Wow. Meanwhile every other crime is exponentially higher in the States.

"Radio stations must play Canadian music at least 35 percent of the time. Strict rules determine what music is Canadian enough to fill the quota. Though Celine Dion is Canadian, her hit "My Heart Will Go On" was insufficiently Canadian, since the lyricist, the songwriter, and the recording were non-Canadian."

This goes for a majority of Canadian broadcasting, not just radio. Canadians are proud of their culture and the government wants to make sure that is not lost, especially in todays world. The way you do this is regulation. What is the problem?

OK, I'll bite.

A great example of sensationalism. You can pick obscure US laws and verdicts to slant information as well. It is not the norm. Canadians have free speech as well, don't worry.

I'm not worried - I don't live there. You just proved Leo's point, though.

Once again notice the careful wording "certain contact crimes" are 1.5 percent higher. Wow. Meanwhile every other crime is exponentially higher in the States.

It says 1.5 TIMES higher. Not 1.5 percent. Does it prove anything? No. Most Americans who live outside major metropolitan areas don't deal with much crime, though the international/national media and politicians don't really care too much about facts.

Canada's rates have been closing in on ours for some time. I'd certainly expect a country with a population smaller than California and a land mass larger than the US to have less crime, yet it's alot closer than it should be.

This goes for a majority of Canadian broadcasting, not just radio. Canadians are proud of their culture and the government wants to make sure that is not lost, especially in todays world. The way you do this is regulation. What is the problem?

248943[/snapback]

The problem is the stifling of world creativity and government limiting choice for its citizens. If the US had similiar laws, we may not have ever seen the Beatles, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, and other worldly entertainers because of governmental interference. Of course, that means the Pet Shop Boys and George Michaels may have stayed home, too. Maybe it's a wash.

Canadian Government Failures - Fraser Institute Report

If the experiment fails on such a small scale, it certainly isn't going to succeed in a much more diverse environment.

In Saskatchewan, a newspaper ad listing four biblical citations against homosexuality (just the listing, no text), accompanied by two hand-holding male stick figures with a line drawn across them, was ruled a human-rights offense, and the man who placed the ad was directed to pay $1,800 each to three gay men who were offended by the ad."

Gee, lucky for him only 3 gays were 'offended'. At $600 a pop, it could have gotten very expensive if they had all been offended! <_<

one more american journalist  full of hatred, arrogance, xenophobia and ignorance ....

and some wonder why anti-americanism exist...

249423[/snapback]

Good point. Certainly there are no journalists is Canada or (gasp) France with those qualities. <_<

Good point.  Certainly there are no journalists is Canada or (gasp) France with those qualities.  <_<

249437[/snapback]

this is not the point, we are talking here about a stupid american journalist, that does not mean we don't have any in France. In fact we have a lot!

But don't except any kind of international sympathy with that kind of guy writing stuff like this.