OT US soccer

I love all sports. I don't like to bash sports, but how people that make baseball their national pasttime think soccer is boring is beyond me.

However, I can say this: 90% of you that hate soccer, if you went to a World Cup game or an English Premier League game. You're walking out of that stadium loving the sport. The experience is second to none.

I already have my ticket application in for the 2006 World Cup. I am counting down the days. By 2020, soccer will overtake this country. It might not pass the NFL ever, but it surely will pass the other big three in due time.

Any other TSWers planning to head over to the next World Cup? Sam's Army is going to have a large contingent there, it will be a blast.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love all sports. I don't like to bash sports, but how people that make baseball their national pasttime think soccer is boring is beyond me.

However, I can say this: 90% of you that hate soccer, if you went to a World Cup game or an English Premier League game. You're walking out of that stadium loving the sport. The experience is second to none.

I already have my ticket application in for the 2006 World Cup. I am counting down the days. By 2020, soccer will overtake this country. It might not pass the NFL ever, but it surely will pass the other big three in due time.

Any other TSWers planning to head over to the next World Cup? Sam's Army is going to have a large contingent there, it will be a blast.

245219[/snapback]

Listen, Frenchie, changing your user name isn't foolin' any of us....

I'll tell you what......we don't even need football to be the best game in world.  Hell, soccer can have that title.  Football is the best in America.  By far.  All of the other league's combined aren't nearly as popular or passionate in America. 

It's the best run sports league, the richest, and it's ours.  Thank God we have it, so we don't have to have soccer. 

We're (US) wrong evidently, and it feels soooooooooooooooo good to be so!

245070[/snapback]

Are you referring to the best sports league with the most passionate fans in America or the World. Because if it's the latter, you're wrong.

I'd argue leagues like the EPL -- English Premier League -- are the richest, most passionate and best run.

Football is the king sport in America. Soccer is a way of life everywhere else. People on both sides of this argument need to realize that.

245219[/snapback]

This was said in 1970 and again in 1980 and 1990 that by 2000 soccer will overtake the US. Hell soccer can't even get more fans then WWF, let alone lacrosse.

Listen, Frenchie, changing your user name isn't foolin' any of us....

245222[/snapback]

Please, don't insult me by saying you think I'm French. French soccer sucks, but that's because everything French sucks.

BTW: My old username is no longer available to me, and I wanted to change it anyway. I was too lazy to re-register but I felt I had to chime in.

Are you referring to the best sports league with the most passionate fans in America or the World. Because if it's the latter, you're wrong.

I'd argue leagues like the EPL -- English Premier League -- are the richest, most passionate and best run.

Football is the king sport in America. Soccer is a way of life everywhere else. People on both sides  of this argument need to realize that.

245225[/snapback]

I think you just repeated exactly what he said.

His point is, he doesn't care. Soccer blows, and will never be that popular here simply because most americans are too smart to like it.

This was said in 1970 and again in 1980 and 1990 that by 2000 soccer will overtake the US.  Hell soccer can't even get more fans then WWF, let alone lacrosse.

245226[/snapback]

You're wrong. Look at the stats. I don't have a link handy, but soccer recently turned into #1 youth sport in America.

If those things were said in the 70s, then they were stupid. American's don't like things we suck in. We don't suck in soccer anymore. The better we get nationally, the bigger the sport will be here.

Football is the king sport in America. Soccer is a way of life everywhere else. People on both sides of this argument need to realize that.

245225[/snapback]

Mostly because of money and the fact the game has been around so long. You don't need money to have a soccer game in the barrio and until the last 10 years or so almost none of those kids has even seen a football.

I've lived around the world and it's pretty much the same everywhere. Soccer fans are passionate but that doesn't mean the game translates to television or is even great anymore.

Sorry, I'm not sitting through a 90 minute snoozefest with a total of 3 decent scoring chances. The traditionalists refuse to make even minor tweeks to make the game more palatable.

Nothing better than watching a WC get decided on penalty kicks - and it took the goalie cheating or that would probably still be going on.

It's going to be one helluva a battle between the soccer fans who say their sport will be king by 2020 and the scientists who say Americans will be too damn fat to do anything by 2020.

You're wrong. Look at the stats. I don't have a link handy, but soccer recently turned into #1 youth sport in America.

If those things were said in the 70s, then they were stupid. American's don't like things we suck in. We don't suck in soccer anymore. The better we get nationally, the bigger the sport will be here.

245231[/snapback]

During the World Cup, Sportscenter dedicates all of 11 seconds of its broadcast to soccer. During it's biggest event.

Sure, our kids like to play it. Why? Because it doesn't matter who you are, how much money you have, etc... you can play soccer. This is different for say, hockey or football, where you need tons of equipment.

Listen, soccer blows. We're not just making this up. It really sucks, hard.

245231[/snapback]

Americans don't like things that are boring. I played soccer when I was a kid and it was fun. That doesn't change the fact that the game at the highest level is a terrible bore.

We could have the greatest Ice Dancers or cricket players in the world too (who knows we might), it doesn't change the fact that the game just isn't entertaining to watch.

I'd compare it to hockey but at least in hockey there are more than 3 chances to score per game.

By 2020, soccer will overtake this country. It might not pass the NFL ever, but it surely will pass the other big three in due time.

245219[/snapback]

Yeah right. That's been said many times before. Pele played here in America for awhile, remember the New York Cosmos?

The nation said *yawn*.

Oh, and if your not a Manc, your a wank!

Americans don't like things that are boring.  I played soccer when I was a kid and it was fun.  That doesn't change the fact that the game at the highest level is a terrible bore.

We could have the greatest Ice Dancers or cricket players in the world too (who knows we might), it doesn't change the fact that the game just isn't entertaining to watch. 

I'd compare it to hockey but at least in hockey there are more than 3 chances to score per game.

245236[/snapback]

The sad part is, on NFL sunday, what does ESPN go to after "Countdown"? Bowling.

What is on in the afternoon on NBC on Saturdays? Either Bull Riding or Figure Skating.

But, wait, soccer is TAKING OVER!!! Then why the hell do Bull Riding, Ice Skating, and Bowling get more National attention?

Come kick my tombstone when Soccer takes over. I'll roll over once for ya.

245231[/snapback]

That's because every parent in America shoves their kid into a soccer league as soon as they can walk so they burn energy and fall asleep easier. Then those kids grow up to play real sports.