RIP Bill Hudson

flmike

Just heard that my former vice principal (Henry Co. High in Paris, TN) Bill Hudson passed away. He was a second-round pick by Chargers out of Memphis State in 1961 and was later traded to the Bills in '63. He was on the AFL championship teams and an AFL Eastern Div. All-Star for 1965. After his stint with the Bills he returned to Paris, TN and served as a football coach and vice principal in the 1970s. My classmate Ross was his son and QB of our team in the late 70s. He was a good man and the mere threat of a paddling from him kept us all in line. RIP "Buffalo Bill" Hudson.

flmike

RIP Bill/Dick.

Btw, noticed the Elbert Dubenion card. 42 receptions, 1139 yards... 27.1 yards per catch!

I always thought it was Dick Hudson.

when i read former Bills champion Bill Hudson passed away, my mind put Hudson and Buffalo together and i thought.. geez, Dick Hudson died. I never knew he was 'Bill', either.

just think, he played on the last bills team to win every post-season game put in their path - over 50 years ago.

thanks for that, Mr Hudson.. RIP

Ok. I got the skinny on his name. His niece reminds me that "There was already a Bill Hudson, so they had to go by the shortened version of Richard. My dad was his older brother and Daddy couldn't say Richard (they were born less than a year apart) so he nicknamed him Cowboy Bill. The cowboy part dropped but the Bill stuck. That's why everyone around here knew him as Bill."

flmike (Henry Co HS, Paris, TN class of '80)

Ok. I got the skinny on his name. His niece reminds me that "There was already a Bill Hudson, so they had to go by the shortened version of Richard. My dad was his older brother and Daddy couldn't say Richard (they were born less than a year apart) so he nicknamed him Cowboy Bill. The cowboy part dropped but the Bill stuck. That's why everyone around here knew him as Bill."

flmike (Henry Co HS, Paris, TN class of '80)

Of course, the name was already taken:

hudsona.jpeg

Bill Hudson - father of Kate Hudson

kate-hudson.jpg