strange strange scenario possible

richNjoisy

Matt Lienart, the Heisman Trophy winning quarterback from USC, is considering entering his name in the supplemental draft, according to The New York Post.

He would have gone very high if not 1st in this year's NFL draft.

It makes no sense whatsoever to me for Matt to do what is suggested in the Post

but - if he did -

The Bills WOULD have a 1st round pick in the supplemental draft. This draft is weighted like the NBA lottery. Which means it is possible (slim slim) that the Bills could get the number 1 pick.

stranger things have happened ..... ithink :doh:

Matt Lienart, the Heisman Trophy winning quarterback from USC, is considering entering his name in the supplemental draft, according to The New York Post.

but - if he did -

The Bills WOULD have a 1st round pick in the supplemental draft. This draft is weighted like the NBA lottery. Which means it is possible (slim slim) that the Bills could get the number 1 pick.

stranger things have happened ..... ithink  :doh:

243756[/snapback]

Ground Control to Major Tom... :lol:

but - if he did -

stranger things have happened ..... ithink  :doh:

243756[/snapback]

Didnt you just draft a QB in the first round, last year?

If the best player available is a position you don't need, do you still draft him?

Wasnt this board just singing the praises of Losman?

Can I possibly end this post on the strength of four consecutive questions?

I wouldn't want a guy who changes his mind because his offensive coordinator leaves.  When you are the #1 pick and you go back to school, that is enough of a head scratcher unto itself.  Throw this one on top of that, and Leinart is either flaky or scared of something.

243768[/snapback]

Money talks...

I wouldn't want a guy who changes his mind because his offensive coordinator leaves.  When you are the #1 pick and you go back to school, that is enough of a head scratcher unto itself.  Throw this one on top of that, and Leinart is either flaky or scared of something.

243768[/snapback]

He had a shoulder injury and had an operation. He wasn't sure how long he was going to be out, and he wasn;t going to be able to throw or workout before the draft. The OC was a another issue, but not the prime one.

This kid has worked 3 years in a Pro style set, with a former NFL headcoach and a now current NFL OC. This kid has the pedigree and the athletism to go with it.

243768[/snapback]

And dont the Titans have a high pick? Maybe Chow and the Titans would go after Leinart???

Fair enough about the shoulder injury thing and not being able to work out.  But he still would have been the #1 pick.  I think the guy has all the tools as well, but going to a supplemental draft now when your OC leaves seems awfully wierd.

243786[/snapback]

He was not a lock for the #1 spot and possible with the shoulder and not knowing how bad it was at the time they needed to declare, he may have dropped completely out of the draft if it was serious. The better decision was to stay in school and get the degree if his "career" was over before it started. Now that the damage was minor and he will be working out by May, I believe the supplemental is the way for him to go. Add to that he has a new OC who may and will install his own offense it isn't good for a senior to have to change that much in his draft season.

He is now smart to come out at this point. No need to hurt his value.

The bottomline is that if he were to declare for the supp draft, whoever won the lottery and came out with the #1 pick would certainly take him. Many teams would keep him, but I would like to see the Bills trade him. He would likely fetch two regular high round picks -- one in '06 and another in '07.

There are actually TWO issues on the money side

1.) yes, he would get paid like a high draft pick - based not on his selection in the supplemental draft but based on his expected value if he had come out for the normal draft. I am sure TD would argue this point though :doh:

2.) Clubs are allowed a certain amount of money to sign draft picks. How this plays out in the supplemental draft is unclear to me since the pick would be charged to NEXT season. in other words, if the Bills were to use it to draft him in round 1, then they would lose (be charged) their number 1 pick for 2006.

Thanks to all of you for letting me know his situation - I couldn't figure out why anyone would do what he is reportedly thinking of doing.