TBD Superbowl calls

GunnerBill

So far so good

Except I don't see any way possible Carolina doesn't win by at least 10, with a 50/50 chance of a blowout. Their D is stacked too. they will shut down the run and dare Manning to try and beat them deep which he likely can't, and will start throwing picks...if Carolina goes up by 14 early it's gonna be a blowout because Denver will have to abandon the run...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to see Peyton Manning lead the Broncos to a win and retire

I do too, but while the heart wants this, the head says "Carolina". Kubiac and Wade Phillips gonna have to get awfully smart to slow Carolina down.

Some stats on the teams:

Carolina offense overall #1. #2 Rushing, #24 Passing. Is that because they don't have to pass much with that strong of a rushing O? Newton obviously can pass. (But those who think rushing first no longer wins championships, please take note)

Denver offense overall #19, #17 Rushing, #14 Passing. It's only important to have a balanced offense if both halves work well?

Carolina defense overall #6

Denver defense overall #4

I want to see Peyton go out as a Champion.

Maybe next year.. Camthers in a rout.

I hope there isn't a "next year" for Peyton. He's breaking down before our eyes.

Except I don't see any way possible Carolina doesn't win by at least 10, with a 50/50 chance of a blowout. Their D is stacked too. they will shut down the run and dare Manning to try and beat them deep which he likely can't, and will start throwing picks...if Carolina goes up by 14 early it's gonna be a blowout because Denver will have to abandon the run...

Not intended to pick on you Matter, but I really hate that particular truism "if team X goes up by 14 early, team Y will have to abandon the run"

It's illogical, untrue as stated, and makes no football sense. Other than that it's a catchy little phrase.

Let's break it down.

1) if Carolina goes up by 14 early.....

...then Denver should keep the ball the heck away from them and let their D regroup and figure out how to stop them!!!!! It's early, right, there's plenty of time. A nice run-loaded short-pass loaded grinding clock eating drive by Denver's offense would be JUST the thing.

2) it's going to be a blowout......

....This might be very true, IF Denver keeps handing Carolina's O the ball. If another team's offense is mad scoring early, it means your D can't stop them, so yep, if your O can't hang onto the ball, looks bad

3) ...because Denver will have to abandon the run

......see point 1. Denver will not have to abandon the run. A single quarter is more than enough to score 14 points. Early on, the team has plenty of time, to make up a 14 or even a 21 pt deficThe run game will be Denver's best friend in this situation, IF they can get it going. Which brings us to the truth behind this truism....in the circumstance of another team going up by 14 early, teams often do abandon the run. But it's not because they "have to", or want to, or think it's a good idea to.

It's usually because the run is getting stuffed like a pillow, and they CAN'T run. So they're passing in the hopes it will work and they'll be able to back the other team out of the box and establish the run.

OK, sorry about that. I feel so much better now!