Watching McGahee...

KOKBILLS

...vs. Detroit. Did not get to see the Game Thursday, so I'm catching the Replay on the NFL Network. I'm trying to figure where these "McGahee looks slow" opinions came from (I know it was not everyone) on Gameday. Thought Willis looked very good on the 1st Drive. Picked up positive yardage whenever he had even a small hole, and his feet definitely looked lively to me.

Willis is not Travis to the hole, he's definitely more patient. But I see a major difference in him from the 1st Pre Season Game. He's obviously gaining confidence, and sooner or later he's going to break a tackle and break a long Run.

Just wanted to comment because on Gameday the numbers did not look great, and I read some negative comments by some who were watching the Game Live. I was expecting Willis to look tentative, and he was anything but on that 1st Drive. Should also mention that #54 (C. Spielman) and the Lions Play by Play man were both pretty impressed with Willis.

I think we have 2 damn good HB's, and if this O-Line can continue to improve, the Bills will pile up some major Rushing yards in the 2nd half of Games this year as they wear the opposing D down...

I like that thought... B)

I would have to agree. Based on his stats, I was worried. In previous games he has looked very tentative taking very short strides with his head down. In this game, he is still exhibiting the same running style but his instincts are outstanding. He slides in the hole and always seems to get positive yardage. Not alot of wasted motion or dancing. He will break a long run soon.

I'm watching the replay too.......  Willis just might be fine, great 1-2 punch!

11 to 80 looked OK as well! :wacko:

18305[/snapback]

I know the Lions had some injuries, but I think most of the Starting Front 7 was in there, and the O-Line looked like it held up well. DB stood in there and delivered the Ball with confidence...I'd like to see a few more Plays where our HB does not have to dodge, or break, the 1st Tackle in the Backfield. But the O-Line also opened up some nice holes especially on the 1st couple Plays...

The key to me is how the Running Game ends up effecting Play Action, because you have to figure DB will carve up a few Defenses if we are running well on 1st Down...

I liked the one review I read here yesterday that said they saw progress...I agree... B)

If he ever gets his speed back he will be a dynamo.

Don't forget this is not some 210 lb scat back.

Willis is 240lbs...he may not hit the hole as fast but I expect him to break alot

of tackles and just bowl people over.

If he ever gets his speed back he will be a dynamo.

Don't forget this is not some 210 lb scat back.

Willis is 240lbs...he may not hit the hole as fast but I expect him to break alot

of tackles and just bowl people over.

18333[/snapback]

I remember watching him at Miami and because of his stride and his size he doesn't seem to be running as fast as he really is. He's big and strong and fast but he's not a quick hitter with qick movements like TH. They could provide a great one two punch with a change of pace.

Go Bills!!!!

...vs. Detroit. Did not get to see the Game Thursday, so I'm catching the Replay on the NFL Network. I'm trying to figure where these "McGahee looks slow" opinions came from (I know it was not everyone) on Gameday. Thought Willis looked very good on the 1st Drive. Picked up positive yardage whenever he had even a small hole, and his feet definitely looked lively to me.

Willis is not Travis to the hole, he's definitely more patient. But I see a major difference in him from the 1st Pre Season Game. He's obviously gaining confidence, and sooner or later he's going to break a tackle and break a long Run.

Just wanted to comment because on Gameday the numbers did not look great, and I read some negative comments by some who were watching the Game Live. I was expecting Willis to look tentative, and he was anything but on that 1st Drive. Should also mention that #54 (C. Spielman) and the Lions Play by Play man were both pretty impressed with Willis.

I think we have 2 damn good HB's, and if this O-Line can continue to improve, the Bills will pile up some major Rushing yards in the 2nd half of Games this year as they wear the opposing D down...

I like that thought... B)

18300[/snapback]

If you were refering to MY comments on Willis, please read my post again. If not, nevermind :D

What I'd say is that he doesn't necessarily lack speed as much as the "burst" to get through the holes. IIRC, his best runs were outside the tackles. He was doing hardly anything up the middle, with the exception of the TD run.

Actually Travis Henry has one of the better stiff arms in the league. I thinkwhat people want to see, that we haven't yet, is for McGahee to break one long and outrun people in the open field. That'll come, I think. I think by midseason McGahee will be seen by opposing teams as a dangerous threat.

What I'd say is that he doesn't necessarily lack speed as much as the "burst" to get through the holes.  IIRC, his best runs were outside the tackles.  He was doing hardly anything up the middle, with the exception of the TD run.

18643[/snapback]

One might claim that Willis looked faster in his previous runs in pro games, but he has never played a pro game. One might say he looked faster running against college players at MI, but we all know the difference between running against college talent and running against pro talent and he last ran the ball in a college game which counted over a year and a half ago.

Reality simply say let's see him run in a real game before certainly before we make any conclusions and even before we declare any solid trends beyind he strapped it on, took a hit and played.

Just about anything else is irrationally premature.