Guitars

Hogboy Swine

I'm a semi-touring singer/songwriter type.

2001 Santa Cruz OM/PW with B-Band pickup

2002 Larrivee OMV-03R with B-Band pickup

1983 Ibanez Roadstar II

Alvarez MSD-1 (big baby Taylor copy)

Peavey Classic 50 Amp

I'd love a:

Ultrasound Amp

Fender Telecaster

Avalon acoustic

---

Charles

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current:

Gibson Gold Top Les Paul

bought it at Fred's Music Store in Shillington, Pa ~ 1997

Ovation Celebrity Deluxe (Black)

bought from a friend for $400 ~ 1999

Amp: 5150 Combo

bought from a friend ~ 1999

========================

past:

1st guitar:

Yamaha SG500 (tiger striped flame top - beautiful)

bought from old codger- at work who's son never played it after he bought it for him..what a steal too $300 bucks, mint. 1986

Alvarez 12-string acoustic - bought from a friend. stolen in 1991 :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

amp: Fender Princeton Chorus (sold to bro-in-law 2000)

Red '64 Hagstrom Model I (one of the oldest things I own...)

A really ugly hair band Ibanez in Purple fleck... XL somethingorother...

Magnatone Amp... Can't recall the model...

A DOD effects pedal circa 80's...

My dad keeps promising me his old 50's Gibson hollowbody J-150(?)... but I'll believe it when I see it... And I'd love his Fender Twin Reverb...

Someday, I'll learn how to play... right now it's just for futzing with...

My main guitar is a 1990 Les Paul Studio which is majorly modified. The finish is the dark wine color others have indicated, but I replaced all the black knobs, plates and such with cream colored. The pickups are EMGs, an 81 and an 85 in reverse Zakk mode, I like playing on the rythem pickup anyway. And I replaced the crappy stock grovers with spurzel locking tuners.

My current strat is a frankenstein, a guy in NC built it from various parts. It's a tobacco burst thin body, with steve ray Texas hot wire pickups. The neck is from a mexican strat. This one sounds great but I have to replace the 5-way toggle.

My newest is a Martin DX-1 acoustic which I love. Plays great, sounds better. I have an old Fender acoustic which has now been regulated to the closet.

My first guitar was a Mako strat knock-off and not really worth having except for the sentimental value. I also used to have a neon green BC Rich Warlock which I sold in 1993.

I play all of this through a new model Fender Twin Reverb. Christ that thing is loud! I don't think it's EVER been up past about 4, even playing live. This replaced the Marshall 100W JCM900 combo I used to have. Using the Les Paul, that thing had some monster crunch!

I am dying to buy this Eric Clapton sig strat at the music store they have here in town. Only 1000 bucks for a like new, used guitar. It sounds awesome!!!!

I'm a semi-touring singer/songwriter type.

2001 Santa Cruz OM/PW with B-Band pickup

2002 Larrivee OMV-03R with B-Band pickup

1983 Ibanez Roadstar II

Alvarez MSD-1 (big baby Taylor copy)

Peavey Classic 50 Amp

I'd love a:

Ultrasound Amp

Fender Telecaster

Avalon acoustic

---

Charles

241597[/snapback]

Anyone who read previous guitar thread knows I love Taylor acoustics when it comes to production guitars, but Santa Cruz and Larivee both make some fine sounding and playing acoustics. I'd take them over Martins every time.

BTW - I'm not deliberately knocking Martins. I just haven't played a decent one in a music store in ages. A friend bought a fantastic playing Martin HD-35 about 6 years ago, and that was the last new one I could get excited about. A lot of their "lower end" stuff is way overpriced. Another friend with $1000 to spend was set on finally getting a Martin. The Martins in that price range were average, and I talked him into getting a comparably priced Tacoma, which was a far better sounding guitar. For the money, Tacoma makes a decent guitar.

The old Martins played by Stephen Stills, Neil Young, and others had a beautiful tone and a real resonant precussive sound from picking the bass strings. It's rare to hear that kind of tone from even the best acoustics today. Unfortunately, Martin has been living off their reputation for too long.

i want a "decent and inexpensive" guitar to re-teach myself.  i have never been in a pawn shop before, but we have a couple here in richmond, maybe i should go browsing.  do pawn shops negotiate?  or if anyone has one laying around gathering dust let me know maybe we can work something out

241262[/snapback]

You bet your butt pawn shops negotiate. Alot of these pawn shops are run by music guys who do the pawn thing on the side to pay the rent for the shop.

There is a slight risk that the music stuff you buy may be stolen(about a 99% chance the jewelry is stolen), but the risk is on the pawn shop owner and not you.

Say for example you buy a guitar...the cops check the pawn logs and find your guitar on the sheet...The cops come get your guitar, but the pawn shop has to give you the money back. There is no risk to you.

You can negotiate price with these guys. They usually don't pay the seller much of anything for a guitar and they mark it up about 300%

I've only have two guitars.

Electric: I have a very nice pre-serial number Jackson. It looks like a Strat with a dropped head. I've had a lot of custom work done to it. Anderson H3 pickups in it.

Acoustic: 1973 Guild D-25M. Beautiful Guitar but I don't play it enough.

Amp: Mesa Boogie Mark IV. I use Phillips NOS tubes to get that sweet clean tube sound.

Effects: Alesis Quadraverb

Amp Stand: This thing is great and cheap: ttp://www.samedaymusic.com/product--AURGRAMMA It makes a big difference for $50. I recommend it.

Everybody give a listen to Los Straitjackets, they rock !

http://los.straitjackets.com/index.html

I've only have two guitars.

Electric:  I have a very nice pre-serial number Jackson.  It looks like a Strat with a dropped head.  I've had a lot of custom work done to it.  Anderson H3 pickups in it.

Acoustic: 1973 Guild D-25M.  Beautiful Guitar but I don't play it enough.

Amp:  Mesa Boogie Mark IV.  I use Phillips NOS tubes to get that sweet clean tube sound.

Effects:  Alesis Quadraverb

Amp Stand:  This thing is great and cheap: ttp://www.samedaymusic.com/product--AURGRAMMA  It makes a big difference for $50.  I recommend it.

Everybody give a listen to Los Straitjackets, they rock !

http://los.straitjackets.com/index.html

242078[/snapback]

Los Straightjackets? I did't know Chuck Berry was surfer

i want a "decent and inexpensive" guitar to re-teach myself.  i have never been in a pawn shop before, but we have a couple here in richmond, maybe i should go browsing.  do pawn shops negotiate?  or if anyone has one laying around gathering dust let me know maybe we can work something out

241262[/snapback]

You could always get the gift of guitar by Esteban :rolleyes:

I bet it's just an intonation problem.It's an easy fix.You make a good point though.All of my Strats have 5 springs holding the tremelo down.I also have the bridge screws tightened down all the way.

242620[/snapback]

I never use mine. I agree it stays in tune much better if you are not bashing on that bar...

gibson les paul custom(black beauty '80)

hagstrom swede

gibson sg standard('80)

two graphic 120 orange amps: one a '73, other reissue

two marshall jcm900 4x12 cabinets

buttload of pedals

242898[/snapback]

and a deformed hand!!! I've always been a big fan of yours. :)