agree if you have 2 starting QB you have no starting QB, BUT

KingRex

how about 3 starting QBs?

My guess is after 2 pre-season games and a lot of practices, all three QBs have shown that they can probably lead this team to a .500 record.

However, none of them have demonstrated on the field a reasonable probability or much more than a reasonable possibility they are capable of leading the team to a playoff berth.

I doubt that Ryan can reasonably have confidence in any of these three QB candidates.

My guess is that though he not yet have confidence in any of the 3, he does have confidence in himself. Unless we see a Q step up in game 3, I think Ryan will take his team into the regular season refusing to name a starter.

Under a framework of having more confidence in himself and Roman, you may see him force Indy's D to prepare for the quite different games of all three QBs. Some loud voices from alleged fans and the usual whiners in the media will likely be unable with the uncertainty (which I think is very un Bills fan like since I as a Bills fan happily would see them lie to me if n exchange it fools opponents and gives us a victory).

Ryan would likely name a starter for the game by Thursday night or Friday but by then tis would deny the opponent a valuable day or two of planning and implementing a gameplan tailored to the Bills scheme.

This fan likes the uncertainty as long as 1) though none of the three QBs command the #1 QB job with on-field performance they do show some positives.

2) They all need to show some positives.

Like it or not, this the case for all three QBs.

None deserve to be #1 (if you disagree then make the case for your #1 - not the case for why you think EJ sux but why you think any of them are #1 material) so I'd go for secrecy until someone wins the job.

The Bills are the latest example of building up the rest of the roster while having no QB. The Jets were somewhat successful with Rex when he went to the AFC title game in 2009 and 2010 but fell apart soon after that. The Seahawks have had much more success with that, but Russell Wilson has shown an ability to make plays down the stretch of games much like Big Ben. The Bengals with Dalton have a mid level QB with a very good surrounding cast and can't advance in the playoffs. The Raven's use to do that with Joe Flacco who was a limited QB but he got hot in the playoffs a few years ago and has since developed into a more complete QB.

If you look at the results of figuring out the rest of the team and then the QB, it's not that bad. The Seahawks and Ravens won Superbowls and are consistently in the playoffs (Of course their QB's developed into better than what they were) and on the other end the Bengals have been consistently in the playoffs and the Jets had a nice little run. Overall I think the premise of if you have 2 you have none is true. But the Bills knew that coming into the season. No one is shocked that the team's QB situation is a bit of a mess.

Maybe it is semantics but I look it as having 3 starting QBs vs. no starting QBs. So far, it has looked as if each of them can lead this team. That's a good thing. Having no QBs would have been if all 3 showed up and underperformed.

I disagree completely that they don't have enough confidence in any of the 3. I would venture to say that all 3 have exceeded their expectations. The team won 9 games last year and has since improved. I don't know how you believe that they can be .500 but not be a playoff team? "I'm pretty sure that they can get to 8 wins but doubt that they can get to 9 or 10."

how about 3 starting QBs?

My guess is after 2 pre-season games and a lot of practices, all three QBs have shown that they can probably lead this team to a .500 record.

However, none of them have demonstrated on the field a reasonable probability or much more than a reasonable possibility they are capable of leading the team to a playoff berth.

I doubt that Ryan can reasonably have confidence in any of these three QB candidates.

My guess is that though he not yet have confidence in any of the 3, he does have confidence in himself. Unless we see a Q step up in game 3, I think Ryan will take his team into the regular season refusing to name a starter.

Under a framework of having more confidence in himself and Roman, you may see him force Indy's D to prepare for the quite different games of all three QBs. Some loud voices from alleged fans and the usual whiners in the media will likely be unable with the uncertainty (which I think is very un Bills fan like since I as a Bills fan happily would see them lie to me if n exchange it fools opponents and gives us a victory).

Ryan would likely name a starter for the game by Thursday night or Friday but by then tis would deny the opponent a valuable day or two of planning and implementing a gameplan tailored to the Bills scheme.

This fan likes the uncertainty as long as 1) though none of the three QBs command the #1 QB job with on-field performance they do show some positives.

2) They all need to show some positives.

Like it or not, this the case for all three QBs.

None deserve to be #1 (if you disagree then make the case for your #1 - not the case for why you think EJ sux but why you think any of them are #1 material) so I'd go for secrecy until someone wins the job.

Have you been watching the pre-season? Your post seems like something preserved in amber from people that only watch the Bills QB go up against the Bills D in practice. It looks to me like any of these guys could get 9 wins. I do think Cassel is at best a decent backup.

TT can get us to 11 wins. We have an offensive line now and real NFL playcalling on the offensive side of the ball. You are living in last year.

Have you been watching the pre-season? Your post seems like something preserved in amber from people that only watch the Bills QB go up against the Bills D in practice. It looks to me like any of these guys could get 9 wins. I do think Cassel is at best a decent backup.

TT can get us to 11 wins. We have an offensive line now and real NFL playcalling on the offensive side of the ball. You are living in last year.

I am watching pre-season but thinking about the regular season. The NFL clearly has an issue with the size and speed of the players simply leading to dramatic hits which though entertaining are causing a lot of concussions and injuries that put players cat risk. Add to that, for some reason which can range from inadequate stretching to just bad luck.

My sense is that the key for the Bills is more likely not whether any of these three men will become a franchise QB.

They won't.

Instead its going to be whether the D is strong enough to lead the O to Ws by generally holding opponents under 20 ppg and also will we have enuf skill players to allow a Roman led run first D with some dynamic receivers to win a playoff berth.

In my mind the skinny likely is:

1. Cassel is the least dynamic of the three but likely most stable in his play. However, given his lack of eescapability and pass record of injury its more likely a question of when rather than if he goes on IR

2. I like TT's dynamic athletic play, but fact is he is a little guy at 6-1 compared to the 6-4 alternatives.

3. EJ has the best chance of surviving. He is not there yet in terms of quality of play but does throw the best long pass of the bunch.