After the Browns game, who do you want as Bills starting QB?

BustaTimes

After the Browns game, who do you want as Bills starting QB?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. After the Browns game, who do you want as Bills starting QB?

• Tyrod Taylor
    • EJ Manuel
    • Matt Cassell
    • Matt Simms
    • Someone else
    • It's too early to tell

I don't think that this can factor in at all. He often knew who his starter was like most teams. I will bet that every time Peyton Manning started preseason game 3 he also started the opener. This is an extreme example but you can tell how that piece of information isn't going to be very telling.

The division of the snaps with the 1st team will probably be pretty even during the game (if they are all going to play with the 1s). I would think that it will be 2 drives each. The play in the game will matter some but it isn't going to undo the last 7 months (or whatever it has been). The # of reps with the 1's in practice is probably going to be the most telling moving forwards. If someone is receiving 70% of the snaps with the 1's that is most likely the guy to start game 1.

This is why I go with "history is our best teacher". There are seven reasons in your short paragraph.

The fallacy is, because it is typically done in the past, it has to be in the plan this particular time. What has traditionally happened/what usually happens can be completely unrelated to what is happening this time. A bit of "post hoc ergo propter hoc". In the past, the QB that started the third preseason game had already been named the starter. It wasn't as if they became the starter because they started the third preseason game. Comprende?

My guess is, in the past, the staff had already decided who was going to start at QB for the season. What you should really look at, if you were doing a comparison, is what happens in the third game when the coaching staff has made clear statements the starting QB is not yet known. Even in those cases, they wouldn't necessitate the same thinking as in this particular case. Decisions of this type stand alone---they just fall into a pattern. The pattern doesn't make the decision.

So basically you don't know.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I go with "history is our best teacher". There are seven reasons in your short paragraph.

I don't know what? Who will be the starting QB for the season? Well, I have been tipped by someone with inside knowledge, but no, I don't know for sure. What does that have to do with discussion?

But thinking: In the past whoever started preseason game #3 typically starts during the season THEREFORE the Bills staff is using that historical trend to decide who starts preseason game #3 and/or the regular season, is preposterous reasoning. You really should take a logic class or two.

I don't know what? Who will be the starting QB for the season? Well, I have been tipped by someone with inside knowledge, but no, I don't know for sure. What does that have to do with discussion?

But thinking: In the past whoever started preseason game #3 typically starts during the season THEREFORE the Bills staff is using that historical trend to decide who starts preseason game #3 and/or the regular season, is preposterous reasoning. You really should take a logic class or two.

The real factor to back you up is that this is completely un-typical and a historical abberation relative to any qb competitions of the past 30 years. 3 Qb's with a truly equal opportunity to start creates circumstances that cannot be predicted and really cannot utilize any historical justification to state, without question, that the starter has been set.

That being said, it's EJ :devil:

No one outside one bills drives knows.

You may believe whatever you wish.

The point is past performance does not guarantee future results.

jeez I was just puttin another line of thinking out there that's all. I think you guys got hung up on a couple words and really didn't think out the whole thing. perhaps I wasn't clear in my delivery though. My point is, If Rex was familiar with EJ from gameplanning against him and even mildly impressed, he may have penciled him in for the 3rd game starter before TC even began. Cassel was insurance, TT an unknown and perhaps he thought Roman could get this guy ready to go for the season. Therefore creating a rotation built around that, "fallacious" thinking. That's all.

Edited by You herd it hear last

jeez I was just puttin another line of thinking out there that's all. I think you guys got hung up on a couple words and really didn't think out the whole thing. perhaps I wasn't clear in my delivery though. My point is, If Rex was familiar with EJ from gameplanning against him and even mildly impressed, he may have penciled him in for the 3rd game starter before TC even began. Cassel was insurance, TT an unknown and perhaps he thought Roman could get this guy ready to go for the season. Therefore creating a rotation built around that, "fallacious" thinking. That's all.

i thought it was facetious, or maybe factious ?

Truly can wait for the book to come out in hard copy about WTF was really going with the FO and coachings staffs thinking this years offseason into preseason.

C'mon guys. lets not get hung up on details.

Just get us to the playoffs Rex, dont care how you get there.

But Rex you sure are a fun guy, because i have no idea what is going on!!

The real factor to back you up is that this is completely un-typical and a historical abberation relative to any qb competitions of the past 30 years. 3 Qb's with a truly equal opportunity to start creates circumstances that cannot be predicted and really cannot utilize any historical justification to state, without question, that the starter has been set.

That being said, it's EJ :devil:

Great post! and the cherry is the last sentence.

You are a good Fan B-)

The fallacious part was this "If the starter of PS game #3 is historically the starter of the season, wouldn't the staff put the QB they thought was going to be that guy in that slot for the game?" If you really didn't mean that, then we're all good. You could be right in your assumption the Bills will end up staring EJ, based on some historical evidence. But I think the sentence above makes no real sense.