Good night vs Bad night

GunnerBill

I liked the way Darby played. He never hung his head, and he kept going full speed. He was always close, and for a first game he did not look like he was overwhelmed.

Late in the game I saw a few guys with names that I've never seen before who looked out of place, too slow, etc., and some of them were starting to hang their heads as if they knew that their chance to make the team was somewhere between slim and none.

Agreed re: Darby. I didn't think any of the receptions against him were terrible plays. The 2 sideline throws were perfectly placed. Darby didn't have a chance and was step for step with the WR's.

The KB touchdown....well....that was nearly impossible to defend. He needs help in that type of situation in the red zone.

I'll add to the Good Night:

The Ralph: First time back in 15 years since I had my tix. I was really impressed with the rehab...excellent job of bring the old guy back up to NFL standards.

Not sure a new stadium is at all warrented (and I've been a big proponent of a new Downtown venue), other than from a psychological perspective...

I like Darby because he looked very quick and capable of staying with NFL receivers which is the first test. In college he did not get tested a lot so he really needs to learn how to defend the ball better and my one concern is that his is small. He is going to have to learn to anticipate and really get up in the air at the right time and understand what they are trying to do with the ball like that back shoulder catch he gave up. Will that come with experience? That's the question.

I know I'm sounding overly optimistic but overall I liked what I saw on offense. The defense will be great as usual. Darby got thrown at a lot "welcome to the NFL rook". He has a great deal of learning to do but he did stay with his man in coverage. Just has to get his head around and he will learn that I'm sure. Shady is going to be awesome this year. In the little time he was in he showed that he can make people miss. TE's (other than Clay) didn't really play up to par, but nerves could have played a part in that. I think they will settle down and be ok. QB's did ok. I wouldn't want to be the deciding vote on who will be the starter, Cassel or Tyrod. That will be a tough one. Also running backs looked good. Both Brown and Williams were impressive. Another hard choice.