What do U do w/ Bledsoe cap savings n the 2 cases

TD has given Bledsoe the choice of one of two options.

1. Bledsoe decides he has a career as a definite starter somewhere and the Bills cut him before they are scheduled to write him a check for a million plus in March.

2. Bledsoe decides to remain a Bill but to do so he restructures his contract so that his base pay is reduced and any new bonus paid him is extended over the life of his new contract. He is not allowed by CBA rule to take a paycut so there can be no giveback of the remaining 4.3 million bonus paid to him is allocated over the 2 years remaining on his contract.

In case one, the Bills have a cap hit for Bledsoe of the total bonus left so his hit will be $4.3 million in deadspace.

In case two, I would suspect his minimum cap hit could be $2.15 million plus the NFL minimum salary for a vet of $300K plus. In theory they could extend his contract and pro-rate I believe just the new bonus over the life of the contract (if any of you cap/lawyer types know that his old bonus gets extended over a new contract let me know but I don't believe it can) at an lets call his new cap hit $3 million and figure that our cap amount increases by rough;y $3 million under the new deal.

My question for Bills fans is what do you spend this money on (by position or even a name if you want)?

Case 2 Drew restructures:

Our cap room is about $9 million right now, Figure roughly a third of that gets put aisde for the draft class though actually we will have a little more than this to spend on FAs because we will need to set aside far less than a third if we do not have a 1st round pick (a great move by TD by the way as this QB crop is seen as poor and JP was a far better talent to get with the 2005 choice than any QB he could have gotten, in addition, if you want to win now or probably even next year having the cap room to spend on an FA gives far more value than almost all draft picks taken in the 20s)

If Bledsoe restructures two things happen, one our cap room creeps up a little versus other teams but not enormously as the maximum Bledsoe restructuring moves us up from #15 among 32 teams up to about #12. The second piece is the Moulds restructuring which adds to the total and if it equals Bledsoe's restructuring it moves us up into the top 10 with a couple of teams ahead of us with a significant amount of players unsigned.

If you want us to resign both JJ and Phat Pat and also get some significant FA then you should be rooting for Drew to restructure. If you want us to go after a top tackle FA (Pace, Jones, Tra Thomas or Vinateri then you should also be rooting for a Drew restructuring. Under current cap circumstances it is hard to say what the market will be, but at $9 million it looks doubtful that the Bills can resign both stars and still afford much at all in FA.

In fact, it appears that if the Bills resign JJ even at the relative bargain rate pedestriam LTs are getting ($5 million annually compared with a top 10 OL cap hit average of around $6 million) it appears doubtful the Bills will pick up any more OL players except 7th rouund draft picks and camp fodder as MW will take down a cap hit 0f $5.8 million and its hard to see the Bills investing in any other OL players with about an 8th of the total cap going to two OL players. Those who are rooting for another LH to join the team so Tucker or Smith do not start better root against resigning JJ.

If the Bills do restructure Bledsoe and almost double their cap room with a Moulds restructure then many things become possible. My personal favortie is to make Vinateri and offer he can't refuse as this solves our kicking problem and adds grave uncertainty for the Pats.

Case 1 of cutting Bledsoe creates a lot of problems for the Bills and really shows why it was such a mistake cap wise to resign him. Though some merely compare the $6 million or so cap hit if Bledsoe's current contract were honored and think its a good deal cap wise for the Bills, they ignore the fact that JP will now be flying alone. Matthews apparently has decided to retire so the Bills will need two new QBs to work with JP.

Figure one is going to get near the league minimum to be the disaster QB and carry the clipboard, My sense is that any savings from Bledsoe is going to be eaten up and then some by our pick-up of a back-up QB. I think a player such as Feeley took down about a $2 million cap hit and with inflation we will be lucky to get a player of Feeley caliber if one exists. Former starters who might be attracted to the Bills job because they will start if JP isn't ready or gets hurt again will probably require a cap hit 0f the $4-5 million dollars that even a talent at the Jeff Garcia level received from Cleveland. Again it is probably most accurate from a Bills perspective to conisder the $4.3 million deadspace as what it is costing us for our new back-up. its hard for folks to consider Bledsoe being worth a $6 million cap hit, well its hard for me also to consider AJ Feeley worth a similar expenditure. Allocating $9 million of outlay as a cost for a Jeff Garcia (the amount he was paid last year plus the deadspace seems rediculous.

For these and other reasons I think the Bills are far better off if Bledsoe stays and restructures than if he goes.

Its somply hard to imagine us being competitive with JP learning the ropes, Feeley as a back-up and who knows what disaster QB carrying the clipboard and us laying out about an $8 million cap hit for these three. I definitely hope Bledsoe restructures to back-up QB cap hit levels and we use that money to resign JJ and Phat Pat and we still have a little left over to do some serious purchases at need positions.

I don't see how we absorb the hit of cuttng or trsdomg Bledsoe and just pray that JP develops incredibly quickly and we get very lucky,

TD has given Bledsoe the choice of one of two options.

1. Bledsoe decides he has a career as a definite starter somewhere and the Bills cut him before they are scheduled to write him a check for a million plus in March.

2. Bledsoe decides to remain a Bill but to do so he restructures his contract so that his base pay is reduced and any new bonus paid him is extended over the life of his new contract. He is not allowed by CBA rule to take a paycut so there can be no giveback of the remaining 4.3 million bonus paid to him is allocated over the 2 years remaining on his contract.

In case one, the Bills have a cap hit for Bledsoe of the total bonus left so his hit will be $4.3 million in deadspace.

In case two, I would suspect his minimum cap hit could be $2.15 million  plus the NFL minimum salary for a vet of $300K plus. In theory they could extend his contract and pro-rate  I believe just the new bonus over the life of the contract (if any of you cap/lawyer types know that his old bonus gets extended over a new contract let me know but I don't believe it can) at an lets call his new cap hit $3 million and figure that our cap amount increases by rough;y $3 million under the new deal.

My question for Bills fans is what do you spend this money on (by position or even a name if you want)?

Case 2 Drew restructures:

Our cap room is about $9 million right now, Figure roughly a third of that gets put aisde for the draft class though actually we will have a little more than this to spend on FAs because we will need to set aside far less than a third if we do not have a 1st round pick (a great move by TD by the way as this QB crop is seen as poor and JP was a far better talent to get with the 2005 choice than any QB he could have gotten, in addition, if you want to win now or probably even next year having the cap room to spend on an FA gives far more value than almost all draft picks taken  in the 20s)

If Bledsoe restructures two things happen, one our cap room creeps up a little versus other teams but not enormously as the maximum Bledsoe restructuring moves us up from #15 among 32 teams up to about #12.  The second piece is the  Moulds restructuring which adds to the total and if it equals Bledsoe's restructuring it moves us up into the top 10 with a couple of teams ahead of us with a significant amount of players unsigned.

If you want us to resign both JJ and Phat Pat and also get some significant FA then you should be rooting for Drew to restructure.  If you want us to go after a top tackle FA (Pace, Jones, Tra Thomas or Vinateri then you should also be rooting for a Drew restructuring. Under current cap circumstances it is hard to say what the market will be, but at $9 million it looks doubtful that the Bills can resign both stars and still afford much at all in FA.

In fact, it appears that if the Bills resign JJ even at the relative bargain rate pedestriam LTs are getting ($5 million annually compared with a top 10 OL cap hit average of around $6 million) it appears doubtful the Bills will pick up any more OL players except 7th rouund draft picks and camp fodder as MW will take down a cap hit 0f $5.8 million and its hard to see the Bills investing in any other OL players with about an 8th of the total cap going to two OL players.  Those who are rooting for another LH to join the team so Tucker or Smith do not start better root against resigning JJ.

If the Bills do restructure Bledsoe and almost double their cap room with a Moulds restructure then many things become possible.  My personal favortie is to make Vinateri and offer he can't refuse as this solves our kicking problem and adds grave uncertainty for the Pats.

Case 1 of cutting Bledsoe creates a lot of problems for the Bills and really shows why it was such a mistake cap wise to resign him.  Though some merely compare the $6 million or so cap hit if Bledsoe's current contract were honored and think its a good deal cap wise for the Bills, they ignore the fact that JP will now be flying alone.  Matthews apparently has decided to retire so the Bills will need two new QBs to work with JP.

Figure one is going to get near the league minimum to be the disaster QB and carry the clipboard,  My sense is that any savings from Bledsoe is going to be eaten up and then some by our pick-up of a back-up QB.  I think a player such as Feeley took down about a $2 million cap hit and with inflation we will be lucky to get a player of Feeley caliber if one exists. Former starters who might be attracted to the Bills job because they will start if JP isn't ready or gets hurt again will probably require a cap hit 0f the $4-5 million dollars that even a talent at the Jeff Garcia level received from Cleveland.  Again it is probably most accurate from a Bills perspective to conisder the $4.3 million deadspace as what it is costing us for our new back-up.  its hard for folks to consider Bledsoe being worth a $6 million cap hit, well its hard for me also to consider AJ Feeley worth a similar expenditure.  Allocating $9 million of outlay as a cost for a Jeff Garcia (the amount he was paid last year plus the deadspace seems rediculous.

For these and other reasons I think the Bills are far better off if Bledsoe stays and restructures than if he goes.

Its somply hard to imagine us being competitive with JP learning the ropes, Feeley as a back-up and who knows what disaster QB carrying the clipboard and us laying out about an $8 million cap hit for these three.  I definitely hope Bledsoe restructures to back-up QB cap hit levels and we use that money to resign JJ and Phat Pat and we still have a little left over to do some serious purchases at need positions.

I don't see how we absorb the hit of cuttng or trsdomg Bledsoe and just pray that JP develops incredibly quickly and we get very lucky,

234209[/snapback]

This is the question I posed to you...What/who do you see us signing with the cap savings from Drew and Moulds. I dont think that you are trying to side step my question since you seemed interested in giving an estimated cap figure and list of players and possible contracts. I just havent seen any response from you on this. Furthermore, Your post dos not even attempt to assign a new cap cash figure to us based on Drew options 1 or 2 and Moulds. What gives? I think Billsdaily does a great job of giving us fairly accurate estimated figures. Im going to use them as my resource for this discussion.

First of all, we are around 9 mill under now. Trading Travis gives us another 1.13mill since he signed an extension for as much. Drew option 1, 6.5 -4.3 equals 2.2 mill in cap savings. Drew option 2, 6.5-3 mill (your number) equals 3.5 mill. That adds 3.3-4.6 mill to our cap room. Then comes Moulds. He is the X factor since no one knows how this works out. Lets say we only gain another 2 mill from him restructuring (I think thats VERY conservative). That still means a total cap savings of between 5.3 and 6.6 mill added to our 9 mill under puts us between 14.3 and 15.6 mill under the cap!!!!

Second, theres no way in hell that we spend more than say 4 mill on draft picks considering we dont have a 1st rounder. The rookie cap will only be around 3-4 mill and we probably end up at say 3 mill on the draft picks.

So, after Drew, Travis, Moulds, and the draft. We still have between 11.3 and 12.6 mill in cap space to spend on FA's.

I feel we need to add the following:

LT (jennings or other), LG, DT (Pat or other), TE, CB, K

Obviously some of these positions can be added from the draft.

I think we add Nugent, a WR, CB, a G/C, DT depth, LB depth from the draft.

Which means, to me, we add the following from FA: LT, LG, DT, TE

Lets use some TD deals from the past as a good estimation to what he pays for similar players:

LG:

Chris Villarial deal shows us what he would pay for a highly rated LG.

OG Chris Villarrial - 4 yrs. $11.85M. SB $3.6M.

I think its more than reasonable to assume we can add Joe Andruzzi at LG for the same contract. That means his cap figure for 2005 will be around 3.2 mill.

TE:

We dont really have any idea what TD would pay for a top notch TE or even a fairly high priced TE. Gonzales made (2004) 2 mill, Becht 1 mill, Shockey still on his rookie contract so its 300K, Dan Campbell 1 mill, Kyle Brady, 1.6 mil. Mark Campbell made 1mill roughly in 2004.

I think its reasonable using that data to say that we can land either Becht or Franks for around a 2 mill cap figure.

DT:

Pat wont command top level DT pay. But could be resigned for decent coin. Big Sam Adams made 2.6 mill in 2004 and I think its reasonable that we could get Pat for say 2 mill in cap figure per year.

LT:

I left this for last purposely. If everthing falls the way Im predicting it looks like the following:

11.3- 12.6 cap cash after Drew, Moulds, Travis and draft picks signed.

Andruzzi= 3.2 mill cap figure in 2005

Franks or Becht= 2 mill cap figure in 2005

Pat Williams resigned= 2 mill cap figure in 2005

Add all that up and you get 7.2 mill. Subtract what we had from this and you end up with 11.3 to 12.6 minus 7.2 equals 4.1 to 5.4 for available cap cash to sign a LT!!!

Jennings can absolutely be had for this. But I think TD can get creative a sign a big name LT with this cap cash. Dont forget that there are other players who are likely cuts like Priouleau. Cutting Pearson gives us another 1.4 mill. That takes our LT cap cash to 5.5 to 6.8 mill!!! Thats enough to land Tra Thomas or Walter Jones!!!!

I think all of the above is very reasonable. I purposely used conservative numbers where I over estimated the cap hit for LG, TE, and DT. And underestimated the cap savings from Moulds. I think landing Andruzzi type, one of the best TE's, resigning Pat, and signing a top flight LT or resigning Jennings is all VERY do-able.

In fact, it appears that if the Bills resign JJ even at the relative bargain rate pedestriam LTs are getting ($5 million annually compared with a top 10 OL cap hit average of around $6 million) it appears doubtful the Bills will pick up any more OL players except 7th rouund draft picks and camp fodder as MW will take down a cap hit 0f $5.8 million and its hard to see the Bills investing in any other OL players with about an 8th of the total cap going to two OL players.  Those who are rooting for another LH to join the team so Tucker or Smith do not start better root

234209[/snapback]

sign jonas.........give him the money he deserves......cap hit would only be around 3M first year......

convert williams' 3M roster bonus into a signing bonus and amortize over life of deal.......add more years if necessary and lower cap hit further.........that 5.8 number can be cut in half easily........

sign big ticket LG like wahle, rivera, andruzzi, or mayberry......cap hit for year 1 would be around 2.5-3M.........

there is no reasons to make excuces for TD.......he can sign jonas AND sign a big ticket LG without abusing the cap........

sign jonas.........give him the money he deserves......cap hit would only be around 3M first year......

convert williams' 3M roster bonus into a signing bonus and amortize over life of deal.......add more years if necessary and lower cap hit further.........that 5.8 number can be cut in half easily........

sign big ticket LG like wahle, rivera, andruzzi, or mayberry......cap hit for year 1 would be around 2.5-3M.........

there is no reasons to make excuces for TD.......he can sign jonas AND sign a big ticket LG without abusing the cap........

234281[/snapback]

Did you read my post? We can sign a big ticket LG AND a stud LT!!! plus more. Read my post and follow the math.

Did you read my post? We can sign a big ticket LG AND a stud LT!!! plus more. Read my post and follow the math.

234291[/snapback]

you haven't accounted for:

1) money for nate -- he needs to be extended this off-season

2) a backup RB -- i don't see you addressing this need in FA or the draft

3) 1M surplus -- TD always keeps cap room back for injury purposes

point is if TD wants to sign a big ticket LT and LG, he needs to create room beyond moulds and bledsoe.......the obvious target is mike williams, as his cap hit is very high BUT he's young and isn't going anywhere........his number can be halved easily and it is a very wise cap related move.......

you haven't accounted for:

1) money for nate -- he needs to be extended this off-season

2) a backup RB -- i don't see you addressing this need in FA or the draft

3) 1M surplus -- TD always keeps cap room back for injury purposes

point is if TD wants to sign a big ticket LT and LG, he needs to create room beyond moulds and bledsoe.......the obvious target is mike williams, as his cap hit is very high BUT he's young and isn't going anywhere........his number can be halved easily and it is a very wise cap related move.......

234303[/snapback]

What you state as limitations to getting stud LG's and LT's are in fact NOT limitations at all.

1) Nate is a nice to extend but not a have to have at this point.

2) Your right I didnt put a backup RB, my mistake I do see us drafting one but would also agrue that Shaud has shown enough to be the backup. I still think we draft one later on in the draft

3) Im surplus is a nice to have, not a have to have. If you insist on it, just cut Pearson P, that gives us back 1.4 mill.

Your not counting the added savings for trading Travis.

My numbers work even without your moves.

What you state as limitations to getting stud LG's and LT's are in fact NOT limitations at all.

1) Nate is a nice to extend but not a have to have at this point.

2) Your right I didnt put a backup RB, my mistake I do see us drafting one but would also agrue that Shaud has shown enough to be the backup. I still think we draft one later on in the draft

3) Im surplus is a nice to have, not a have to have. If you insist on it, just cut Pearson P, that gives us back 1.4 mill.

Your not counting the added savings for trading Travis.

My numbers work even without your moves.

234305[/snapback]

1) i disagree on nate -- i think it NEEDS to get done this off-season or we will lose him next off-season

2) i'm not comfortable with shaud as a backup RB and i don't think TD is either.......you are counting on your draft picks for alot by the looks of it -- a backup RB, a potential nickel back, a WR to challenge reed/aiken........i think that is alot to ask of "day 2" picks and that will leave us short in those areas......

3) find me a year that TD didn't hold back 1M in cap room -- good luck.........as far as he is concerned, it is a must have.......

so 5.5-6.8 (i am including PP) to:

1) sign a top end LT (4M cap hit)

2) backup RB (1M cap hit)

3) extend nate (2M cap hit)

4) leave additional cap room (1M)

sorry, doesn't add up........we need MW to get his cap number down (which isn't that big a deal) if we want to sign both a LT and LG.........we can't do it with just a moulds and bledsoe extending/restructuring, unless you want to ignore other areas of need.....

1) i disagree on nate -- i think it NEEDS to get done this off-season or we will lose him next off-season

2) i'm not comfortable with shaud as a backup RB and i don't think TD is either.......you are counting on your draft picks for alot by the looks of it -- a backup RB, a potential nickel back, a WR to challenge reed/aiken........i think that is alot to ask of "day 2" picks and that will leave us short in those areas......

3) find me a year that TD didn't hold back 1M in cap room -- good luck.........as far as he is concerned, it is a must have.......

sorry, doesn't add up........we need MW to get his cap number down (which isn't that big a deal) if we want to sign both a LT and LG.........we can't do it with just a moulds and bledsoe extending/restructuring, unless you want to ignore other areas of need.....

234347[/snapback]

I really see the Bills signing Amos Zereoue from the Raiders this year to compete for the backup spot with Shaud. Donahoe drafted Amos in 99, and Mularkey definitely knew how to use him. He'll come relatively cheap as well. It just makes sense that this guy will be our backup RB this season.

234347[/snapback]

Well using your extremely conservative math where you want everything in the same year, your right. That cant happen. I dont know where you are coming from. You are assigning 4 million in things that simply dont have to happen. 2 mill to extend Nate, your number I have no idea why you are so insistant it has to happen this year rathre than mid season so it applies to next years cap, I have no idea where 2 mill comes from either. 1 mill for a backup RB, again no clue who you have in mind here, and I dont know why a 4th or later RB like JJ Arrington, Darren Sproles, or Noah Herron doesnt meet your critieria. 1 mill in cap space just to have it is far from a must have but more like a nice to have.

Again, I used conservative numbers on the Moulds restructure and probably overpaid several players in my estimates, TE and re-signing Pat are the most likely. We easily could make up a few mill more just in those factors.

If TD had a choice between all that I listed which includes a to tier LT or not getting abig name LT so that we can sign a backup RB, re-sign Nate a year before we need to, and have 1 mill extra cash. I think he'll take the LT eight every time hands down!

What do U do w/ Bledsoe cap savings n the 2 cases

234209[/snapback]

AFAIC, there's only 1 case... cut Drew. ;)

After this, the #1 priority is to extend Nate. This has to be taken cared of ASAP, no way can you let a top-5 CB with upside walk... I don't care if it's a year early, get it done NOW. The cap savings from cutting Drew probably won't be enough to get this done by itself, but it's a nice start.

Remaining cap space:

1. See if you can talk Matthews out of retiring.. if not, spend $2M on a back-up for JP that can at least be able to beat the Steelers JV team if required.

2. Sign PW to a home-town deal... if not, goodbye.

3. Remaining $$$ spend on OL and

either future extensions now or reserve for future extensions

(ie. don't spend it all).

Well using your extremely conservative math where you want everything in the same year, your right. That cant happen. I dont know where you are coming from. You are assigning 4 million in things that simply dont have to happen. 2 mill to extend Nate, your number I have no idea why you are so insistant it has to happen this year rathre than mid season so it applies to next years cap, I have no idea where 2 mill comes from either. 1 mill for a backup RB, again no clue who you have in mind here, and I dont know why a 4th or later RB like JJ Arrington, Darren Sproles, or Noah Herron doesnt meet your critieria. 1 mill in cap space just to have it is far from a must have but more like a nice to have.

Again, I used conservative numbers on the Moulds restructure and probably overpaid several players in my estimates, TE and re-signing Pat are the most likely. We easily could make up a few mill more just in those factors.

If TD had a choice between all that I listed which includes a to tier LT or not getting abig name LT so that we can sign a backup RB, re-sign Nate a year before we need to, and have 1 mill extra cash. I think he'll take the LT eight every time hands down!

234360[/snapback]

the point we both agree on is that there is money AVAILABLE to sign both a top end LT and a top end LG.........whether that means touching mike williams contract or not is debatable, but the point is that can be easily accomplished so there really is no excuse for TD not to go out and spend big on those two positions.........that we obviously agree on..........

1. See if you can talk Matthews out of retiring.. if not, spend $2M on a back-up for JP that can at least be able to beat the Steelers JV team if required.

234379[/snapback]

You crack me up, man. That game really chafed your ass, huh? Me, too. actually. A lot went wrong that day, but we should at least have been able to count on Drew. I'm not as adamant about cutting him. If he wants to go, fine, but I think he should realize that if the Cards don't want him, who the hell will? It's not like he'll get that third chance to save the day.

I just wouldn't cut him unless he wants to walk.

About Nate: Maybe TD is going to go the 'PPrice' route and franchise him if he can't sign him to a long term deal. This way we get a high draft pick out of him so we can get his replacement.

I think that TD underestimated the value of AW when he left and will not make the same mistake twice.

IMO, if the choice is to get JJ or get a premier OT for about 1mil more a year, get the premier OT (W. Jones).

As long as we get Nugent, all is well.

About Nate:  Maybe TD is going to go the 'PPrice' route and franchise him if he can't sign him to a long term deal.  This way we get a high draft pick out of him so we can get his replacement.

234516[/snapback]

i'd rather just keep nate around for another 5 years........pay the man........

You crack me up, man. That game really chafed your ass, huh? Me, too. actually. A lot went wrong that day, but we should at least have been able to count on Drew. I'm not as adamant about cutting him. If he wants to go, fine, but I think he should realize that if the Cards don't want him, who the hell will? It's not like he'll get that third chance to save the day.

I just wouldn't cut him unless he wants to walk.

234418[/snapback]

I've been a Bills fan since OJ's rookie year when I was a kid, and we've never had a player that has disgusted me more than Drew Bledsoe these past 2 years...

not even Billy Joe Hobart. ;) Sorry, I want him gone for good.

long post but to put it bluntly Bledsoe will not have to restructure this year he will be a well paid back up until they feel comfortable with Losman like they did with Mcgahee last year .........once that is determined then there might be movement until then we are still 12 million under the cap with his salary ........Now thats a G.M. for you