Christie

BillsNYC

If we can't draft the Nuge, why not bring Steve Christie back?

He's getting old, but still a solid player:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1378

AND

he is a proven solid and clutch kicker in Buffalo's weather....

233758[/snapback]

He can't kick off anymore. Bills coverage unit is good, but not that good.

He can't kick off anymore.  Bills coverage unit is good, but not that good.

233759[/snapback]

Lindell doesn't exactly knock the ball through the end zone...also there is now way Christie misses that kick against the Steelers. I would rather have Nuge but Christie is better than Rian.

Lindell doesn't exactly knock the ball through the end zone...also there is now way Christie misses that kick against the Steelers. I would rather have Nuge but Christie is better than Rian.

233789[/snapback]

Next season the Bills season is on the line and it comes down to one kick. Who would you rather have, Lindell or Christie?

The approx $550,00 in deadspace from cutting Lindell makes him very hard to cut and manage the cap (particularly if we cut or trade Bledsoe instead of him agreeing to a restructuring which provides him with back-up pay and a a back-up QB cap hit).

I'm pissed at Lindell as well but do not want to see us cut off our nose because it offends us only to spite our face by mismanaging the cap.

Lindell did do a great job on kickoffs (it is wrong to see this only due to good tackling and coverage because good coverage begins with the kicker kicking it exactly where the tacklers expect it to be kicked and with desigated amount of hang time which allows them to make the tackle. April and Lindell did a great job with our directional kicking and it showed in our results. One only needs to remember back to some our adventures in kick coverage like out debacle against the Jets where they ran back two KOs for TDs and wasted good performances by the O and the D to know this is important.

Lindell also did a great job on one of two onside kicks this year.

I'm happy to see Lindell go if Nuge falls to later in the draft (a 3rd round slot max and it does not look like he will fall that far) and allows us to manage the cap. Christie is a good guy who is committed to the area (he still makes his home just across the border in Canada) but he is on the backside of his career and doesn't deliver enough in terms of distance on FGs to make him worth the extra cap hit.

a 500k cap hit if we cut Lindell IMO is a very acceptable risk. Lindell cannot be counted on when the game is on the line and the the attempt is more that 35yds out.

But I agree that we more then likely will not try to replace Lindell with a FA K based upon monetary needs, and its why we should be looking at the Nuge and try to find away to parlay our TH cards and other draft picks into a 2nd 2nd rd pick.

If we do draft the Nuge everyone here is going to have to accept that their can be some growing pains with a rookie NFL K just the same. At least there is no doubt that he has the leg.