Ronald Darby.....2% body fat

Yeah, look at this high body fat aerobe!

46e89665eb2d7f62_mens-winner.jpg

He's not burning fat during his run. Mostly carbs/sugars.

At 6 feet your BMI is 28.5. Not obese, but "overweight", by strict definition.

Skinny doesn't mean low body fat super duper lean and low % body fat. It is pretty widely accepted that aerobic athletes don't want to push under the 5-6% mark because it becomes a hindrance to performance. Sure are there some that function a little under that, there is an exception to everything even at the elite level. That number of 5-6% is a really close guideline for elite aerobic athletes.

He is probably right in that range, a measure 3x greater than Darby's reported numbers. Being at 2% would not be beneficial to a marathoners performance, in fact it would negatively impact it. That's all I was trying to get across.

Skinny doesn't mean low body fat super duper lean and low % body fat. It is pretty widely accepted that aerobic athletes don't want to push under the 5-6% mark because it becomes a hindrance to performance. Sure are there some that function a little under that, there is an exception to everything even at the elite level. That number of 5-6% is a really close guideline for elite aerobic athletes.

He is probably right in that range, a measure 3x greater than Darby's reported numbers. Being at 2% would not be beneficial to a marathoners performance, in fact it would negatively impact it. That's all I was trying to get across.

I don't think there is a readily available way to differentiate between 2% and 5% body fat habitus.

Also, the matathoner isn't jsut "skinny", he has extreme low body fat. Any fat he has isn't used for energy expenditure while he is running.

I don't think there is a readily available way to differentiate between 2% and 5% body fat habitus.

Also, the matathoner isn't jsut "skinny", he has extreme low body fat. Any fat he has isn't used for energy expenditure while he is running.

That's not true. Trained elite (aerobic) athletes use significantly higher levels of fat as a fuel source than carbohydrates. Their bodies are trained to do so. It is actually preferred, producing better long term results.

The only time fat isn't used as a fuel source among athletes is anaerobic work. Without (ample)oxygen in the blood stream the body cannot process fats. Hence the Darby arguement. Fats are also an important part of recovery. It is one of the largest reasons a higher body fat percentage is necassary in aerobic based sports. Without a higher fat content athletes can't recover fast enough while performing regularly at an elite level, to get through a world championship cycle or Olympic quadrennial. 2% (if that actually exists) would absolutely be enough to get through a marathon, not arguing that. All I am saying is it wouldn't be enough to get through even the taper weeks leading up to the marathon, while still producing an optimal individual result. Cannot train as an elite level aerobic athlete at 2%.

I am not arguing whether or not Darby is actually at 2%. I agree that such a low reading is probably inaccurate. There was speculation as to whether or not it was a healthy or even plausible place to be and perform at a healthy/high level, so I accepted measurement and rationalized that football is an acceptable sport to have such a low body fat percentage. Because football is almost entirely anaerobic, and anaerobic activity burns little fat (reason stated above), 2% is ok.

I had something like 2% in high school. I weighed 145 and wrestled 132. I had regular physicals and never was told of any problems. I could run for days at a time too.

I'm not sure the weight people would like him to put on would help any.

where did you wrestle?