Greg Roman going to pull a Mike Pettine?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg Roman was on the John Murphy Show tonight:

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/Roman-This-group-has-a-chance-to-be-special/01f13be0-897f-4d23-9c61-bdd223cf0cd4

I'm thinking Roman is trying to become the Pettine to Rex's Marrone. I'd thought about it previously, but this interview just re-enforced the idea in my head. In particular, the part where he stresses that he's coached every position, on offense and defense, and "that was by design." His end game is HC. If he has a good year on offense with his "organized chaos" -- and our O goes from bottom-of-the-league, to a respectable squad -- I think he's going to one-and-done us.

To be fair, that's probably the mindset of a lot of coordinators around the league.

I hope not after one year but I think it is inevitable, hopefully the next man up will be as creative, maybe after we 6 SBs Rex retires and Roman takes over :D

While everyone is daydreaming about having a top offense... they seem to be overlooking the tangible differentials between the comparison of Pettine vs Roman.

Pettine walked into a team loaded with defensive talent, and 9 of the 11 starters were either a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. Then he had a 100 million dollar DE, pro bowl DT's in Kyle Williams & Marcell Dareus along with ball hawking Jarius Byrd at safety. Any DC in the entire league would pretty much love to be coaching the Buffalo Bills defense the last few years.

Not every OC in the league would even want to try to attempt to build a competitive offense with the current Bills offensive players IMO. Although Roman now has a star studded backfield, WR corp along with a productive TE. The biggest difference is on the lines with a current Bills O line unit that was last in the league in run blocking, and 30th in pass blocking. From rookies to players moved out of their proper position, last years offensive line was an absolute train wreck.

The most important position on the team happens to be occupied either by a third year player with 14 games under his belt or a 10 year vet who's record is 33-38. That vet QB has only had two winning seasons in his ten year career, and both were 10-6 with KC & Patriots. Then both those two teams had much better lines then the 2015 will have.

In my opinion Greg Roman has a monumental task to build a top offense utilizing a ground and pound running attack from an O line that was ranked last in the NFL in run blocking. Some of the players have been changed, and yet none of the players are of the quality caliber that the Bills have on the defensive line. Dunno why almost everyone is overlooking the fact that the team still needs at least two viable starters for the line this season. Whaley went after RT Bulaga, OG Evens in free agency for real reasons, and because he couldn't get those two he then gave up.

If somehow Roman manages to build a top 15 unit on offense this season he will be a miracle worker in my eyes :D

While everyone is daydreaming about having a top offense... they seem to be overlooking the tangible differentials between the comparison of Pettine vs Roman.

Pettine walked into a team loaded with defensive talent, and 9 of the 11 starters were either a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. Then he had a 100 million dollar DE, pro bowl DT's in Kyle Williams & Marcell Dareus along with ball hawking Jarius Byrd at safety. Any DC in the entire league would pretty much love to be coaching the Buffalo Bills defense the last few years.

Not every OC in the league would even want to try to attempt to build a competitive offense with the current Bills offensive players IMO. Although Roman now has a star studded backfield, WR corp along with a productive TE. The biggest difference is on the lines with a current Bills O line unit that was last in the league in run blocking, and 30th in pass blocking. From rookies to players moved out of their proper position, last years offensive line was an absolute train wreck.

The most important position on the team happens to be occupied either by a third year player with 14 games under his belt or a 10 year vet who's record is 33-38. That vet QB has only had two winning seasons in his ten year career, and both were 10-6 with KC & Patriots. Then both those two teams had much better lines then the 2015 will have.

In my opinion Greg Roman has a monumental task to build a top offense utilizing a ground and pound running attack from an O line that was ranked last in the NFL in run blocking. Some of the players have been changed, and yet none of the players are of the quality caliber that the Bills have on the defensive line. Dunno why almost everyone is overlooking the fact that the team still needs at least two viable starters for the line this season. Whaley went after RT Bulaga, OG Evens in free agency for real reasons, and because he couldn't get those two he then gave up.

If somehow Roman manages to build a top 15 unit on offense this season he will be a miracle worker in my eyes :D

In spite of the star studded Defensive players, Pettine's defense finished 28th against the Run. Compared to that Schwartz had the same team finishing in the top 10 against the run. In my opinion Pettine was overrated.