(OT) Mini-vans. Any advice on buying one?

PIZ

I'm the above poster's wife (bills/sabrefan) and felt the need to throw in my .02.  I have done extensive research on minivans ...

233009[/snapback]

:doh::doh::lol:

Mr Bills/Sabresfan, you must get this a lot, but you are one lucky SOB. That's a keeper there, fella. Nice going.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cawingnut - I did not appreciate your comment concerning my wife. An opinion was asked for concerning minivan choices. You may be young or too cool for such a purchase, but others need these vehicles to survive with kids. When you do not make a ton of money, you do your homework and find out the best products for your money. If you were intelligent, you would understand. By my guess, you have no clue what it means to work with a budget and make sound financial choices. As a Bills fan, I would expect better from you. In the future, show some class. In the offseason, off topic stuff comes up. I and others do not come on this site to be criticized or to be made to feel bad. My wife and I gave honest and correct information. Act like a man and save the insults for appropriate posters.

I wouldn't buy an American Mini-Van to save my life.  Look at consumer reports and there rating aren't good.  My wife and I like the Mazda MVP and since it isn't one of the top sellers you have a lot of play room when buying.  However, consumer reports doesn't recomend the 05 MVP because reliability has dropped.

But if you have to do it, buy a Grand Caravan or a mid-level Town and Country.

They are both recomended by consumer reports but they still rank lover the best:

Top Minivans according to this months Consumer Reports.

1. Honda Odyssey - rated excellent

2. Toyota Siena - rated excellent

--------------------

3. Nissan Quest

4. Mazda MVP

5. Dodge Grand Caravan

6. Ford Freestar

7. Saturn Relay

8. Kia Sedona

These are the only ones they have reviewed recently.

232802[/snapback]

Tell us all what American company you work for. So we can buy better products and services from your foreign competitors and put your shoddy employer and it's shoddy employees including you out of business. After all it's best for us, wouldn't you agree?

Tell us all what American company you work for.  So we can buy better products and services from your foreign competitors and put your shoddy employer and it's shoddy employees including you out of business. After all it's best for us, wouldn't you agree?

233984[/snapback]

You don't like my opinion on American made products fine, but prove me wrong. The big auto makers in the USA produce a lot of 'questionable" product lines. I grew up in a Ford family and we only once bought a Chevy. That turned out to a piece of crap. In the late 80's my mom bought a Honda Accord and since then, my parents only buy Toyota's and Honda's because they simply make a better product.

Ford makes a solid truck but this buy isn't looking for a truck. He's looking for a minivan and I'll stand behind what I said, I wouldn't buy an American made one. And Consumer reports, a completely unbiased service also agrees with me.

You don't like my opinion on American made products fine, but prove me wrong.  The big auto makers in the USA produce a lot of 'questionable" product lines.  I grew up in a Ford family and we only once bought a Chevy.  That turned out to a piece of crap.  In the late 80's my mom bought a Honda Accord and since then, my parents only buy Toyota's and Honda's because they simply make a better product.

Ford makes a solid truck but this buy isn't looking for a truck.  He's looking for a minivan and I'll stand behind what I said, I  wouldn't buy an American made one.  And Consumer reports, a completely unbiased service also agrees with me.

234003[/snapback]

No, I don't like your opinion. Consumer Reports is a collection of elitist snots, and are biased as hell. In 1986, they bitched at the the-US made Golf's dashboard, saying how it was functionally inferior to the German-made Jetta's panel. Guess what - it was the exact same thing - came off the boat from Germany. When the US factory starting building the Jetta, they descried the rear seat cushion as far inferior to that in the German builds. Guess what? The seats for both were identical, made in the USA, and were shipped to Wolfsburg, Germany and Brussels, Belgium for their production.

So what American company do you work for? I'd love to know so I can tell others and sink your obviously inferior American business.

No, I don't like your opinion.  Consumer Reports is a collection of elitist snots, and are biased as hell.  In 1986, they bitched at the the-US made Golf's dashboard, saying how it was functionally inferior to the German-made Jetta's panel. Guess what - it was the exact same thing - came off the boat from Germany.  When the US factory starting building the Jetta, they descried the rear seat cushion as far inferior to that in the German builds. Guess what? The seats for both were identical, made in the USA, and were shipped to Wolfsburg, Germany and Brussels, Belgium for their production.

So what American company do you work for?  I'd love to know so I can tell others and sink your obviously inferior American business.

234026[/snapback]

the Ford Focus manafactured in the US is marred with problems (double digit recalls the first year?)...the Focuses built in Europe are near perfection

there is a difference

if you're going to spend alot of money on a car, you'd like to avoid as many reliability issues as possible...by buying an import (essentially voting with your dollars), you're sending a message to the big three to clean up their act and produce a better product...that seems to be a much better idea than supporting and maintaining mediocrity

the Ford Focus manafactured in the US is marred with problems (double digit recalls the first year?)...the Focuses built in Europe are near perfection

there is a difference

if you're going to spend alot of money on a car, you'd like to avoid as many reliability issues as possible...by buying an import (essentially voting with your dollars), you're sending a message to the big three to clean up their act and produce a better product...that seems to be a much better idea than supporting and maintaining mediocrity

234030[/snapback]

So, Americans are incompetent. Are you?

There are strong differences between automotive markets. US federal nanny-state laws make things much more complicated. Many large manufacturers simply gave up on the US market years ago (the Italians and the French, notably). Your European Focus is a comparative snap to assemble...

Stick around - it's going to get worse. On the heels of powered-down airbags which came about because a few hundred idiots put their kids on front passenger seats, you will see mandated tire pressure monitors because of the of the Jap company Firestone/Brigestone cootchy-cooing Ford into specifing bad tire pressures. As the subject rolled around the NHTSB, the manufacturers wanted to use anti-lock brake technology to detect a low tire - a good idea; ALB is a good thing.

But Noooo...the civil service-protected NHTSB nannyite crowd was worried what would happen if all 4 tires were simultaneously underinflated - so plan on a 200 buck increase on cars sold on the US, which will have transponders affixed to the inside or rims, and enjoy spending 30 bucks per wheel for a tire repair or change. But we must protect jerks that might spill their brown-bagged wine if they bothered to check their tires, eh?

And wait till the lead-free solder regs come into force. The hi temp requirements for that will knock the socks off of circuit boards, of which there are a boatload in cars sold in the US market. Buy a tow chain...

Preamble: This is just my .02 and isn't directed towards any particular poster....

Cripes give it up. This is one of the most outdated arguments in existance. In this ever expanding global economy, the American vs. foreign automobile debate is beyond tired.

That's right, I said it.

Preamble: This is just my .02 and isn't directed towards any particular poster....

Cripes give it up. This is one of the most outdated arguments in existance. In this ever expanding global economy, the American vs. foreign automobile debate is beyond tired.

That's right, I said it.

234056[/snapback]

Have I sinned? :lol:

For shame. You let wifey alone to deal with the descendants of the sons and daughters of Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves?

You're not understanding part of the job description... :lol:  :lol:

233005[/snapback]

There is a method to some people's perceived madness. Think about that and get back to me...

Cawingnut -  I did not appreciate your comment concerning my wife. An opinion was asked for concerning  minivan choices. You may be young or too cool for such a purchase, but others need these vehicles to survive with kids.  When you do not make a ton of money, you do your homework and find out the best products for your money. If you were intelligent, you would understand.  By my guess, you have no clue what it means to work with a budget and make sound financial choices. As a Bills fan, I would expect better from you. In the future, show some class. In the offseason, off topic stuff comes up. I and others do not come on this site to be criticized or to be made to feel bad. My wife and I gave honest and correct information. Act like a man and save the insults for appropriate posters.

233971[/snapback]

I sincerely meant what I said as a compliment. I am so sorry it was so easily misunderstood.

We are on our second Windstar, mostly because it's the only minivan my wife is comfortable driving. The first one was totaled after hitting a deer. It blew a head gasket. That was an expensive repair, but we learned a couple months later there was a recall on that, so we were able to get reimbursed. No other major problems. We've had our second Windstar for about a year. It has sensors on it towarn if you're getting too close to something backing up. Those are shot. Too costly to repair. No other real problems so far.

No, I don't like your opinion.  Consumer Reports is a collection of elitist snots, and are biased as hell. 

234026[/snapback]

So I guess all of these web sites that rating auto products are biased too.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/ind...class/classid/5

I don't see the Chevy and Ford be recomended here, the Dodge and Chrysler are just like I said.

http://www.autoweb.com/content/research/ca...B&category=vans

here, read the reviews, they have the Honda and Toyota much higher than the rest.

http://www.autosite.com/content/research/c...w/category/VANS

This site seems to repeat the exact same thing

http://research.cars.com/go/features/overv...sp?aff=national

This is a little more liberal. There reviews seem less critical.

http://www.carsdirect.com/research/new_car...s/vans/minivans

This site is extremely liberal, with the Toyota, Honda, Mazda and Nissan all getting the highest rating of exceptional but many other are just one notch below.

So, I'm guessing that all of this a giant conspiracy.

I bought a loaded 2005 Honda Odyssey last week. I fought buying one for a year and finally surrendered to my wife. Let me give you some advice to look for in buying one.

1. Get a DVD player - You can always get one at Wal Mart if you don't want to spent the money on a factory installed one. On road trips with little ones, this is a lifesaver

2. Automatic side doors - Try juggling two little ones and groceries at the same time. I laughed at this feature, but now I see why its useful.

3. Good Engine - enough said

4. Don't get roped into buying additional warranties

5. Fold down seats - My van seats 9, but the seats can be folded down in the back and middle. Saves a ton of space.

You'll pay a bit more for the Odyssey but its worth every penny. Welcome to Fatherhood...

I bought a loaded 2005 Honda Odyssey last week. I fought buying one for a year and finally surrendered to my wife. Let me give you some advice to look for in buying one.

1. Get a DVD player - You can always get one at Wal Mart if you don't want to spent the money on a factory installed one. On road trips with little ones, this is a lifesaver

2. Automatic side doors -  Try juggling two little ones and groceries at the same time. I laughed at this feature, but now I see why its useful.

3. Good Engine - enough said

4. Don't get roped into buying additional warranties

5. Fold down seats - My van seats 9, but the seats can be folded down in the back and middle. Saves a ton of space.

You'll pay a bit more for the Odyssey but its worth every penny. Welcome to Fatherhood...

234413[/snapback]

Glad to hear you like your Odyssey. I work for Honda in Lincoln, AL where we make this vehicle. Heck, I may have put some of the frame parts on yours!!! We are proud of the quality that goes into every Odyssey we build.