NFL hires first female official

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a matter of time before the players are wearing flags and the refs g-strings.

I'm sure she'll be "influenced" just like the other refs.

Imo

i like that idea...sand football...Mike Sam...women officials...Tom landry is spinning faster than a Staubuck football...bum phillips just sh*t in his hat!

As long as she is competent, she will be fine and no one will care about her gender.... not like the waitress in the ref uniform last night that screwed up my order. I hope they don't make her wear the same uniform as that waitress... she was falling out of hers. It would be tough to run in that outfit. :thumbsup::beer:

To the politically correct nazis and fake feminist that are about to go crazy..... get a sense of humor (and a life). I am obviously joking.

Edited by Iraq Vet

Im sure she'll be fine. Im also sure the superstars will not influence her.

Like when Brady starts bitchin. She'll reply with "Im a bigger bit** than you my friend. Shut the hell up or I'll give you a g-string wedgie. You're already wearing the g-string anyway A-whole"

I've often wondered why this has taken so long. Never understood how officiating is traditionally a "man's job." There's nothing "manly" about it, really.

I've always wondered, too, why there is a Men's and a Women's billiards league. What can a man do differently/better, because he is a man, whilst playing pool? Nothing. Same with officiating in the NFL, NHL or NBA and same with reffing in the MLB and any other sport.

I've often wondered why this has taken so long. Never understood how officiating is traditionally a "man's job." There's nothing "manly" about it, really.

I've always wondered, too, why there is a Men's and a Women's billiards league. What can a man do differently/better, because he is a man, whilst playing pool? Nothing. Same with officiating in the NFL, NHL or NBA and same with reffing in the MLB and any other sport.

I have never wandered that. Like ever.

That has to stay separate.

What's going to happen with the ol "let me teach you how to use the stick" trick. Man I think that's my best move. AND THE GIRLS LIKE IT.

Im not going to use that one on a dude that's for sure. Like me riding on his butt. Oh no.

Nice PR move.

Somewhat agree. Still, it is groundbreaking. I just wish it wasn't so obvious what the NFL is trying to do.

She actually has been in the Advanced Training Program for NFL Ref's since 2011. Anyone claiming she was brought on due to the Ray Rice's, and Greg Hardy's of the world is mistaken.

Are you arguing that sexism and racism are thus more likely to go away if we would simply just ignore these issues?

Boy, we could have saved John Lewis a few concussions if he and MLK had simply understood that walking across the Edmund Pettus bridge was the worst thing they could do to call for equal rights for blacks.

I am not suggesting this at all. What i am suggesting is that guys like Al Sharpton and Jesse James aren't doing their causes any good because they are in it for personal fame and wealth in my opinion. The Media suggests the same things that the two other things i quoted mentioned but she has been in the program for years.

The media folks need to check their facts.

She actually has been in the Advanced Training Program for NFL Ref's since 2011. Anyone claiming she was brought on due to the Ray Rice's, and Greg Hardy's of the world is mistaken.

I am not suggesting this at all. What i am suggesting is that guys like Al Sharpton and Jesse James aren't doing their causes any good because they are in it for personal fame and wealth in my opinion. The Media suggests the same things that the two other things i quoted mentioned but she has been in the program for years.

The media folks need to check their facts.

I am sure someone will suggest that the only reason why she was promoted was due to PR and why was she in a program for years which would imply that she isn't any good. Again it goes back to facts. The NFL looks for Refs in all sports and all the way back to High schools looking for the best talent. Pending on your experience it might take longer if you haven't Ref'd a NFL game. She also did preaseason games last year.

the NFL release 20 percent of their 120 Ref's this year due to quality. She was one of many promoted due due to the layoffs.

They have another lady who will probably be a ref sometime here in the near future. She is on the same track.

You have zero reason to believe that there are women out there that are better than the best of the best male referees.

The best male refs is not the issue at all. The question is whether expanding the talent pool of potential ref will allow you to fire and replace the worst refs.

As is the case when a particular group like all blacks are barred from jobs like HC or QB simply because of the whims of the good ol boy network, the game simply gets improved a lot quickly if the effect of expanding the talent pool is that the worst of the current crop loses their job.

Do you think there is something inherent in women that somehow makes them unable to do the ref job?

I see no reason why women cannot run as fast and as long, their eyesight is just as good, their judgment is just as good as a man's in terms of doing ref work. A woman can miscall the coin flip as easy as Phil Luckett can. Many could probably run 64 year old Ed Hoculi into the dirt. And knowing the rules a'int brain surgery.

The question is not whether there is zero reason to assume they are better than the best ref, the ? is whether an expanded pool of the most talented women is potentially better than the worse male refs.

Some refs are clearly so bad or so old that its not hard to think that the handful of women with some experience are better than the worse.

The best male refs is not the issue at all. The question is whether expanding the talent pool of potential ref will allow you to fire and replace the worst refs.

As is the case when a particular group like all blacks are barred from jobs like HC or QB simply because of the whims of the good ol boy network, the game simply gets improved a lot quickly if the effect of expanding the talent pool is that the worst of the current crop loses their job.

Do you think there is something inherent in women that somehow makes them unable to do the ref job?

I see no reason why women cannot run as fast and as long, their eyesight is just as good, their judgment is just as good as a man's in terms of doing ref work. A woman can miscall the coin flip as easy as Phil Luckett can. Many could probably run 64 year old Ed Hoculi into the dirt. And knowing the rules a'int brain surgery.

The question is not whether there is zero reason to assume they are better than the best ref, the ? is whether an expanded pool of the most talented women is potentially better than the worse male refs.

Some refs are clearly so bad or so old that its not hard to think that the handful of women with some experience are better than the worse.

The pool of NFL refs are the best refs in the world. You have no reason to believe that this woman will be better or as good as any of them, other then her existing.

The pool of NFL refs are the best refs in the world. You have no reason to believe that this woman will be better or as good as any of them, other then her existing.

Reason #1- Video reversals are a statistically clear demonstration that even the best refs in the world get things wrong and are not perfect.

Reason # 2- Easily each season has a memorable worse call (in fact virtually every game) that in fact are not even subject to review. I keep mentioning the blown coin toss because it is a memorable and obvious real world example, but there are other memorable blown calls like on against the Pats where they ruled a Pats WR in bounds when he was obviously out and routinely where replay shows a dirty play but the refs miss it but see and penalize the retaliation.

Reason #3- One of the primary structural flaws in how the NFL handles the ref situation is that rather than taking what relatively is a small chunk of the $8 billion NFL pie and hire fulltime refs who focus on nothing besides improving their ref roles, the NFL instead uses part timers whose primary focus is on their real jobs as stock brokers, pilots, or whatever. By expanding their pool of folks competent to ref they might actually be able to hire like adults and employ the full time refs the game deserves.

Reason #4- You cannot possibly think that women are incapable of having a skillset which equals that necessary to do the job. While I am quite confident that there are no women who could physically be able to play like Richie Incognito, I also have few doubts that many women likely have the skillset needed to be a good ref.

Do you really want to argue they can't. I feel fine about women being the fighter pilots who protect us, about a few women being able to muster the strength to be firefighters, and handle any number of jobs conventionally thought of as men's work.

I see no reason why anyone would logically claim that there are not some women who with a little training and being given a chance could not supplant the lowest 10% of the best refs in the world.

Even silly arguments that have been proven wrong by our now gender mixed military that the presence of women would demolish unit cohesion have been proven wrong.

Smart strong me have nothing to fear from competing against women!

Reason #1- Video reversals are a statistically clear demonstration that even the best refs in the world get things wrong and are not perfect.

Reason # 2- Easily each season has a memorable worse call (in fact virtually every game) that in fact are not even subject to review. I keep mentioning the blown coin toss because it is a memorable and obvious real world example, but there are other memorable blown calls like on against the Pats where they ruled a Pats WR in bounds when he was obviously out and routinely where replay shows a dirty play but the refs miss it but see and penalize the retaliation.

Reason #3- One of the primary structural flaws in how the NFL handles the ref situation is that rather than taking what relatively is a small chunk of the $8 billion NFL pie and hire fulltime refs who focus on nothing besides improving their ref roles, the NFL instead uses part timers whose primary focus is on their real jobs as stock brokers, pilots, or whatever. By expanding their pool of folks competent to ref they might actually be able to hire like adults and employ the full time refs the game deserves.

Reason #4- You cannot possibly think that women are incapable of having a skillset which equals that necessary to do the job. While I am quite confident that there are no women who could physically be able to play like Richie Incognito, I also have few doubts that many women likely have the skillset needed to be a good ref.

Do you really want to argue they can't. I feel fine about women being the fighter pilots who protect us, about a few women being able to muster the strength to be firefighters, and handle any number of jobs conventionally thought of as men's work.

I see no reason why anyone would logically claim that there are not some women who with a little training and being given a chance could not supplant the lowest 10% of the best refs in the world.

Even silly arguments that have been proven wrong by our now gender mixed military that the presence of women would demolish unit cohesion have been proven wrong.

Smart strong me have nothing to fear from competing against women!

I've never said they are incapable, Your only "reason" (which you split into two) is that some of the best refs in the world got some calls wrong. Unless this female ref will never get anything wrong, that sorta doesn't matter. Furthermore, you have no idea of her ability to be a ref. How many games of hers have you watched and compared to an NFL ref's? The NFL structure of hiring has nothing to do with her. Or the fact that some plays are unreviewable. That's "solved" by this woman's hiring?

I never though there was a ban on women being refs in the NFL. If there was, then clearly lifting that an will increase the possible pool of talent. But I have no reason to believe, in this case, this ref is as good as the others already working. I have no reason to believe she won't be, either.

Edited by FireChan

There is no formal ban on women as NFL refs that I know of but though there is no formal ban the real world practice is that there are no women refs I know of.

This practice makes no real sense I can see (please correct me if I am wrong). Women should be quite capable of bringing the same and likely far better judging from the abilities women have shown to well fill non-traditional roles like fighter or airline pilots.

I have heard nothing but Jimmy the Greek type troglodyte arguments that woman would be fine refs. Most women (like most men) would be lousy refs. However, there is a talented tenth (probably less) of women who I think would be more athletically appropriate than 64 year-old Ed Hoculi and would not make fundamental errors like Phil Luckett blowing a coin-flip.

I see no reason why one would not give women a fair shot at competing for an NFL ref job. Do you need a reason to be fair?

There is no formal ban on women as NFL refs that I know of but though there is no formal ban the real world practice is that there are no women refs I know of.

This practice makes no real sense I can see (please correct me if I am wrong). Women should be quite capable of bringing the same and likely far better judging from the abilities women have shown to well fill non-traditional roles like fighter or airline pilots.

I have heard nothing but Jimmy the Greek type troglodyte arguments that woman would be fine refs. Most women (like most men) would be lousy refs. However, there is a talented tenth (probably less) of women who I think would be more athletically appropriate than 64 year-old Ed Hoculi and would not make fundamental errors like Phil Luckett blowing a coin-flip.

I see no reason why one would not give women a fair shot at competing for an NFL ref job. Do you need a reason to be fair?

Who is saying she shouldn't get a shot? You're the one who said she's gonna be better than some of them male refs, and you haven't given a reason why, other than that she's a woman. It's like reverse sexism.

I guess I am old fashioned, but I don't understand why there has to be female refs. Is it for gender equality purposes? I wonder what will happen when this girl tries to step between a couple of 300 lb players who are in the middle of punching each other and she accidentally gets smacked in the face? Sports like football are one of the few activities men have left. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can see a lot of guys evenyually losing interest in watching the games. It is already being sissyfied more and more each year.

I guess I am old fashioned, but I don't understand why there has to be female refs. Is it for gender equality purposes? I wonder what will happen when this girl tries to step between a couple of 300 lb players who are in the middle of punching each other and she accidentally gets smacked in the face? Sports like football are one of the few activities men have left. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can see a lot of guys evenyually losing interest in watching the games. It is already being sissyfied more and more each year.

What if a female ref is actually (gasp) better than one of her male counterparts?

Isn't the end goal to have excellent officiating?

I'm sorry about Edith. She was a wonderful woman.

Wrong. The best refs are in the Nba.

I meant the best American football refs. And no.

What if a female ref is actually (gasp) better than one of her male counterparts?

Isn't the end goal to have excellent officiating?

I'm sorry about Edith. She was a wonderful woman.

I'm just worried there's gonna be a lot more flags for colorful language. Women can hear like bats.

I meant the best American football refs. And no.

I'm just worried there's gonna be a lot more flags for colorful language. Women can hear like bats.

You dont know sports. So it's ok.

But yeah, the nba officials are critized practically on EVERY play. Plus they go through an explanation fest AFTER all the games.

Nfl doesnt do that. Yeah they have a review dept, but it's not as strict as the nba policy. Or else the *pats would have been stopped years ago (Okay I added that as a biased fan). Favoritsm will always exist. It's more noticeable in the nfl. Hence, the bad calls.