Who Is the True TBD Resident Culinary Expert?

Gugny

I remember looking at some recipes and thinking it sounded pretty time-consuming (compared to just buying them at my favorite Mexican restaurant).

But I still think it would be really cool to make tamales at home. Good luck!

I think they have a lot of cinnamon in them (that's what makes them "HOT") but I have no idea how they form that little oval hard shell that holds the jelly inside. I can sketch the box with the little sombrero but actually making 100 tamales would be tough.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tamales have always intrigued me. I will be making them this year. Need to find a good source for fresh lard.

Just find a local beef farm and ask.

Or buy a whole, half, or quarter of beef and render your own.

Lard is spectacular for cooking, and if you get it from grass fed cows, the fatty acid profile beats out butter and oils in terms of health properties.

Lard is spectacular for cooking, and if you get it from grass fed cows, the fatty acid profile beats out butter and oils in terms of health properties.

I have a tub of duck fat I use for my confit and it's wonderful stuff to cook with.

You just reminded me that I need to change my fatty acid profile pic!

I have a tub of duck fat I use for my confit and it's wonderful stuff to cook with.

Best cooking fat there is IMO.

Were duck more readily available I'd buy it often just to render the fat for confit and duck frites.

Edited by thebandit27

Best cooking fat there is IMO.

Were duck more readily available I'd buy it often just to render the fat for confit and duck frites.

I buy a tub of rendered duck fat. The one in my fridge is 7lbs from Bella Bella farms.

OK OK...what the !@#$ is confit and frites??

Duck confit is one of the things we referred to at Culinary as MO. MO=mouth orgasms. No wonder I married one of my classmates.

I buy a tub of rendered duck fat. The one in my fridge is 7lbs from Bella Bella farms.

Duck confit is one of the things we referred to at Culinary as MO. MO=mouth orgasms. No wonder I married one of my classmates.

so it is similar to fois gras (sp?)

Are you married to Bandit?