[OT] Identity Theft

If you thought your financial and personal information was safe:

Saturday morning, I was teaching my class at the local community college.

On the way home, I decide to stop and eat lunch at a restaurant called Souper Salad. It’s a buffet all-you-can-eat soup-and-salad bar, with a seating arrangement similar to that of a fast food restaurant.

I’m sitting alone in one of the booths eating my lunch and reading the newspaper. Two women [(A) and (B)] decide to sit in the booth adjacent to me. The way that the seating is laid out, the left side of my booth matches up to the right side of their booth. And since there is only a table-high partition between the booths, you can see and hear everything that goes on in the adjacent booths.

Both (A) and (B) are in their mid-to-late 30’s, and both appear to have full-time jobs, since they were talking a lot about daytime child care.

(A) is divorced, has at least two kids, and has full custody of the kids.

(B) is probably married, given the size of the ring on her finger.

(A) would like to meet a guy, but has had trouble finding a guy who is “decent”.

(B) is helping (A) in her search.

(B)’s full-time job has something to do with mortgages, including mortgage applications and phone calls and meeting mortgage applicants in person. Apparently, (B) is reviewing the applications and financial statements of the mortgage applicants, looking for a man for (A) who is available (single – widowed – divorced) and does well (money).

(B) told (A) that she came up with four possibilities for (A) - one of the men makes $89k/year. (B) also told (A) that today (Monday), she will make copies of the “information” on the four men for (A) and will drop off the copies at (A)’s house Monday night. (B) told (A) to review the information on the four men and to let (B) know if any of the men interest her. (B) will then bring up (A) during her conversations with these applicants, and will then see if any of the four men “take the bait”.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: