We don't have the luxury of just having a serviceable RB

My argument is that the Bills couldn't be a playoff team with their current roster WITHOUT a Top 5 RB. Sure there are many serviceable RBs, but they don't outweigh our weaknesses (oline/TE/young WRs/QB(?)).

I'd say they need to have a top 5 (or so) rushing attack, it doesn't mean they need a top 5 back.

Granted, it definitely helps but the last thing I want to see is the Bills think that acquiring McCoy and then saying, "we're done fixing the running game." This team still needs at least one more starter on the OL (at G) and they should still bring in a vet RT who can compete for a starting job. Do that and the running game has a chance of being fixed. Stop with this trade and it will be better, but not the dominant attack it needs to be to compensate for the QB.

A franchise RB forces the defense to respect the run and thus taking some pressure off of the QB

Also, now that we have McCoy, I wont cringe as much when I see our QB checking down and dumping a pass off to him in the flat

CBF

unfortunately the combo of Fred and CJ that just wasn't the case.

Shady is not your standard running back

CBF

True. Which is also why I agree with the premise of the OP. With the likelihood that the Bills will be going with at best a below average QB this season, defenses will crowd the box to try and get the Bills to beat them in the air. With a serviceable RB this is a good defensive plan. The Bills needed a RB that can still be productive, even with that going on. McCoy has shown in the past to be that kind of a RB. FredEx is simply too old to be a every down back, and Spiller is ... well ... Spiller. The other Bills backs are in the serviceable category. My ideal situation would have been to pick up a good RB in FA and not have to give up Alonso. But I can't really blame the Bills for jumping on this opportunity when it came up either.