We should overpay for D. Thomas (TE - Den)

dayman

They should just go out and find every athletic 6'8" former basketball player they can and bring them all in for a tryout and sign whoever they think is the best and bring them to training camp. I'm totally serious

Worked for other teams. pilfering NBA players like Blake Griffin/Kenneth Faried/Lebron James might be the play.

The basketball/football transition has already started though. Canisius prospect brought in 6'6 TE.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=buffalo-bills&id=16693&src=desktop

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Didn't the Bills sign a Canisius BB player ?

yea and their first mistake was that he played for Canisius.

think of all of the guys from legit basketball programs that don't make it to the NBA but are super athletic and huge. i bet somet of them might even have some high school football backgrounds but in the end chose basketball. we should be going after them

Overpay for Charles Clay instead. He fits Roman's offense like a glove and we take him away from div opponent. Also they transition tagged him so they don't get comp for losing him. He will still cost less than j Thomas. We would need to pay him a boatload to sign somewhere with no QB.

Totally agree. The week they have to decide somewhat screws you up. Unless you do it late, when some other holes have been filled or you find out you cannot get Cameron, etc.

If I had to pick between shelling out big bucks for Hughes or one of these TEs (and I'm not certain we'd have to pick, but still), I'd go with Hughes. I want him back to keep this defense top notch.

Why would you say we should "overpay" anyone, to do anything? Saying we should sign him is one thing, but overpaying him would be to say "let's give him more than he is worth to us". Why would anyone possibly want to do that?

Overpaying is simply poor business, in football, or anything else.

I'm not sure that's true in the NFL. Sometimes it can be wise. If you're just a player or two away from being a very very good team it may be worth it. But more importantly, on every team in every year, there are approximately one third of your team who is overpaid, one third about right, and one third underpaid. It's just a fact of life when contracts are signed based on past performance but meant for future performance which changes so drastically in the NFL.