Can NFL teams agree to absorb part of the pay/cap hit of a

Can NFL teams agree to absorb part of the pay/cap hit of a player they trade? For example, the Eagles now have 50 mm of cap space. could they agree use that space to sign Suh and Dez Bryant for a a combined 25 million per year, then trade those two plus their #1 to the titans for their #1 pick, and agree to assume 15mm per year of salary/cap hit for Suh and Bryant?. This effectively transfers $15 million per year of cost to Mariotta. Not suggesting this is a good idea, just asking if anyone knows if it is allowed?

I presume they can if they committed that money in upfront signing bonuses which would count against their cap this year even if they then immediately traded them to the Titans. The Titans would obviously have to be content with what the contracts cost after year 1 though.... because you can't as I understand it work it so that you absorb the cap hit for future years of a player you have traded to another team.

Others will know more but that is my understanding.

And I know you didn't ask - but I don't think it is a good idea.

Kind of like the NBA sign and trade.

Well you could make a big part of the deal a signing bonus which is paid by the signing team so the team he's traded to wouldn't see any part of that hit.

Is it legal, can't see why not, unless some little loophole. Don't recall anything like that ever being done, but why not.

Hey seems the NFL has adopted the NBA style of trades announced but not completed for another week, so why not also adopt the sign and trade.

Can NFL teams agree to absorb part of the pay/cap hit of a player they trade? For example, the Eagles now have 50 mm of cap space. could they agree use that space to sign Suh and Dez Bryant for a a combined 25 million per year, then trade those two plus their #1 to the titans for their #1 pick, and agree to assume 15mm per year of salary/cap hit for Suh and Bryant?. This effectively transfers $15 million per year of cost to Mariotta. Not suggesting this is a good idea, just asking if anyone knows if it is allowed?

Sure, if the money was paid as a signing bonus by the a Iggles that is how it would be accounted for. I can't see it happening in the NFL though.