Rex Ryan from a Jets fan POV

You are probably right about Roman running the show on offense. I'm not a fan of the HC only focusing on one side of the ball. If the HC is watching one side of the ball and a coordinator watches the other who's keeping an eye on the big picture? Just sayin

Well said, but disagree about the teams he inherited in 09 and 10'. Pretty solid talent less Smith, Scott, and Sanchez. If Kris Jenkins stayed healthy those years we may have took it all.

And I don't at all think Rex was soley to blame.

True, but that was one year out of six. It also begs the question, why did we run the exact same scheme and plays in 2014 that we ran when we had Revis and Cromartie as book ends?

it wasn't the same. He had to play zone all the time. It was on the all-22s we watched before we played the Jets. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

idzik could have signed him as a FA and kept all the picks. Revis wanted to go back to the Jets. Idzik blew him off.

Exactly. I had no issue with the trade because that exact pick yielded the DROY. But if you consider that we could have picked up Richardson with the pick from that trade, then resigned the player we traded away less than 365 days later. Every douche with a Revis jersey in his closet would have done a back flip. I don't think Revis would have been the difference in getting us to the playoffs, but he would have helped and it would have been a PR homerun. No matter what our final record would have been, if Idzik is aggressive with signing Revis he still has a job. Period.

You are probably right about Roman running the show on offense. I'm not a fan of the HC only focusing on one side of the ball. If the HC is watching one side of the ball and a coordinator watches the other who's keeping an eye on the big picture? Just sayin

Well said, but disagree about the teams he inherited in 09 and 10'. Pretty solid talent less Smith, Scott, and Sanchez. If Kris Jenkins stayed healthy those years we may have took it all.

And I don't at all think Rex was soley to blame.

True, but that was one year out of six. It also begs the question, why did we run the exact same scheme and plays in 2014 that we ran when we had Revis and Cromartie as book ends?

Actually.......Rex allowing Roman to run the offensive side of the ball while he concentrate on the D would show the evolution of Rex at this next HC gig. Realizing that he needed to defer to a offensive mind on offense.

If he isnt good at offensive decisions that shows progress

Not that I disagree with your overall post, but....

1) best run organizations in the NFL? Big market and exposure doesn't mean well run. You had Mangini and Herm before Rex. The GM position there has been garbage for a while. Groh is the only coach under Johnson (I didnt include Parcells because his last year was 99, and Woody bought the team in 99). 15 years 5 coaches, all losing records overall. The Bills have been hot garbage for about the same period, and nobody is calling us well run over that time. Infact the current FO is probably the most supported so far, and there are still people who think its a mess.

2) the Ravens thing. Bisciotti has said that he normally takes a back seat for those decisions. But got a personal recommendation from Hoodie himself, so stepped in and pushed the hire. Not sure if Rex was the front runner prior to that. May not have been, which would make your point valid.

3) I thought Bart Scott played a lot a pretty high level for a while. I don't know what the contract was, or his weekly production since I don't watch a ton of you guys, but every time I did Bart looked like a good player.

4) you did overachieve on D this year considering talent at corner in relation to the system. Which proves a prior point of yours. I took those comments as finger pointing at terrible offensive production rather than blind optimism of the how well they played.

5) your QB situation was much worse than ours. Geno has some better games than EJ, but EJ has yet to lay a single clunker that is anything similar to what Geno has done at times. Also Vick is garbage.

I hope you're wrong about personel usage and adjustments. It will absolutely be in the back of my head through the season.

I was not referring to the Jets as one of the best run organizations in sports. They aren't even the best run in NY. Not even in Florham Park. I think their High School soccer team is run much more soundly than the Jets. LOL

It was all about the Ravens.

Actually.......Rex allowing Roman to run the offensive side of the ball while he concentrate on the D would show the evolution of Rex at this next HC gig. Realizing that he needed to defer to a offensive mind on offense.

our old coach was so focused on the offense he made it suck more than it did before he got there, made the players worse, and didn't even know Hughes wasn't on the field for half a game on D. #rexplease

But in NY, Rex either hired OCs with horrible judgement or horrible loyalty (which he failed to override/control), OR, Rex overrode his OC to keep Sanchez/Smith etc because of loyalty?

From what the team always said, Rex hired Sporano, and Marty Morhenwig. He and the team always said he picked his assistants.

Good luck with your Rookie HC. I am happy to have Rex and hope that in a new situation he will correct any issues he may have.

The one thing you failed to account for in the entire post is the GM of the Jets. You are on your 3rd GM in 3 years. Not sure if that is Rex's issue and its pretty easy to show that the Jets haven't drafted well or gotten good value out of Free Agency. Not sure if that is Rex's fault.

Why would I comment on the GM? Did you hire Idzik too? Again I never said anything was all Rex's fault. But this thread is all about him.

Now that I think about it I should join a Dolphins messgae board to see what they think of Tannenbaum.

OP, I come here daily but seldom log on/post. Had to today though to tell you thank you for your well-thought out / informative post. I'm sure by the nature of being a Jets fan you're going to get some a'hole responses, I don't have time to read the follow-on posts right now, but it is posts like this that keep the spirit alive and keep me coming back.

I appreciate the insight from you and here's hoping for two Bills well-earned victories over your boys this year! :)

Cheers brother!

Thanks!

From what the team always said, Rex hired Sporano, and Marty Morhenwig. He and the team always said he picked his assistants.

Why would I comment on the GM? Did you hire Idzik too? Again I never said anything was all Rex's fault. But this thread is all about him.

Now that I think about it I should join a Dolphins messgae board to see what they think of Tannenbaum.

enjoy finheaven. They are delusional.

our old coach was so focused on the offense he made it suck more than it did before he got there, made the players worse, and didn't even know Hughes wasn't on the field for half a game on D. #rexplease

That was Marrone......who considered himself a O line coach and our O line regressed at EVERY position

THis is Rex Ryan.....who has shown a track record of strong defenses without being the DC

To me these are totally different situations

Thanks!

Actually....I dont think you will receive as warm of a reception at FInheaven as you do here.......were we would at least give you the benefit of the doubt

That was Marrone......who considered himself a O line coach and our O line regressed at EVERY position

THis is Rex Ryan.....who has shown a track record of strong defenses without being the DC

To me these are totally different situations

Actually....I dont think you will receive as warm of a reception at FInheaven as you do here.......were we would at least give you the benefit of the doubt

thats what I meant. Rex at least is good at his side of the ball. Btw so many HCs delegate to the coordinator of the opposite side of their expertise. It is common, yet Rex is the only one who seems to get dogged for it because he never had any real talent on that side.

I find it interesting that the OP entirely discounts the 2 AFC Championship games that Rex was the HC of.......

I think you would find it hard to find a former teams fan of a HC.....there is a reason why they are the former HC or they wouldnt be available.

I also find it interesting how there are negative thoughts on the defense.....a defense that consistantly ranks inside the top ten EVERY year

There will be fans on this board that will look for any little reason to think negatively on a move by the bills......15 years of no playoffs will do that......but come on man

- One of the "big fish" HC candidates is now ours

- Greg Roman's offenses have been DEEP into the playoffs in his years there

We could have gone two other wasy

- Rolled the dice with a coordinator who has never been a HC before....that in itself carries its own dangers......the NFL is LITTERED with hot shot coordinators that failed when they got their chance to be a HC

- Hugh Jackson was rumored to be the guy if not Rex.....lets keep in mind that Hugh got ONE YEAR of being a HC before raiders fired him (I consider unjustly) Rex held onto his HC position for several years before finally being let go.

There is a REASON for that.....and it isnt because he runs loose training camps

Please don't be negative. It's a waste of time. Think positive and hope for the best. That's all we can do as fans. This post was about perspective. I wouldnt think I was capable of souring the Bills fan base on Rex, nor would I care to.

As for Roman. Are you at all concerned about how the 49ers offense performed this year? They were pretty healthy and they were very flat.

Also, as someone who watched every game Rex coached, please don't get to caught up on stats regarding yardage rankings on the defense. Do you know how many times the opposing offense started in our redzone because of the plethora of turn overs our offense provided?

Keep your eye on scoring defense. Our new HC just won assistant coach of the year for his work as defensive coordinator, and his defense was ranked 24th in yards...... BUT they were 5th in scoring defense with a patch work squad that was riddled with injuries.

That's why they won 11 games. It certainly wasn't because of their offense.

Hopefully Rex can learn from his previous coaching mistakes like Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick did and have a much better run his 2nd time around.

However, I think one thing that not many people mention is the coaching job that needed to be done to get the Jets to an 8-8 record the year before last, with Geno Smith as a rookie playing like...well, Geno only can. He should have warranted some coach of the year nominations. That team was a 4-12 or 5-11 team based on talent. They just were not very good, but somehow he got them to end up at 8-8. This year it pretty much all fell apart for him. Idzik did a horrendous job at providing talent for the most part and his secondary was a disaster, which is what he relies on to run his defense effectively..even with all that they still finished 5th ranked in the NFL...

Yes, he might have his faults, just as virtually all coaches do, but hopefully he took inventory of what he needs to do differently this time around. Let's also not forget that save the QB and maybe the 2 guards, this team is good enough to challenge New England for the AFC East, so its not like he's inheriting a bad team...he's inheriting a very talented young team that's getting one of their most dynamic defensive players back in Kiko Alonso and legitimately might have the best DLine AND the best LB Corp in the NFL next year...not to mention the secondary is very good and very underrated by most around the league...

Offensively if they can just put up 24-25 points a game, this team could basically be like Seattle, IMHO...suffocate teams with defense and put up enough points to win most games

You know what's interesting? Both Sanchez's rookie year and Genos the team won games. He made sure they were on a short leash. In Genos 2nd year they let him loose and he bombed, for Sanchez it was year 3. All of a sudden we became a passing team. Both times I think he let the OC air it out (which is what they all want to do) because they did well the year before. Huge mistake with those QB's.

Excellent and objective review. Our only hope is that Rex can learn from his mistakes as many coaches do their second time around. But I am not confident this will happen. As you mentioned, he didn't seem to change during his time in NY and he has a HUGE ego so why would he all of a sudden see the light? The Bills always hire coaches the wrong way. Instead of studying past performance and centering on that in light of the current situation when interviewing they always start interviewing until someone "impresses" them. Hiring based upon interview skills is a huge mistake. Con Artists and big ego types always talk a good game and impress. When they fail to deliver everyone is surprised. The Harbaugh hire in Baltimore is a good example. In the NFL you have to find the next innovator who can get ahead of the league for a few years until the rest catch up like Levy did with the K-gun. I am afraid our team will look exactly like the Jets and our team of last year. Great D good enough to win but not overcome a horrible offense.

His ego and need to make brash statements are a weakness. But I guess that's better than a Trestman/ Mike Smith style coach who is afraid of his own shadow.

Please don't be negative. It's a waste of time. Think positive and hope for the best. That's all we can do as fans. This post was about perspective. I wouldnt think I was capable of souring the Bills fan base on Rex, nor would I care to.

As for Roman. Are you at all concerned about how the 49ers offense performed this year? They were pretty healthy and they were very flat.

Also, as someone who watched every game Rex coached, please don't get to caught up on stats regarding yardage rankings on the defense. Do you know how many times the opposing offense started in our redzone because of the plethora of turn overs our offense provided?

Keep your eye on scoring defense. Our new HC just won assistant coach of the year for his work as defensive coordinator, and his defense was ranked 24th in yards...... BUT they were 5th in scoring defense with a patch work squad that was riddled with injuries.

You know what's interesting? Both Sanchez's rookie year and Genos the team won games. He made sure they were on a short leash. In Genos 2nd year they let him loose and he bombed, for Sanchez it was year 3. All of a sudden we became a passing team. Both times I think he let the OC air it out (which is what they all want to do) because they did well the year before. Huge mistake with those QB's.

so is he involved in the offense or not? I'm confused. Sometimes you say he is only focused on the D and completely delegates to the OC, now you say he micromanaged the OC and took over the QBs and playcalling.

no guaranteeing the playoffs was not over the top, IMO, it's expected with this team as I believe they have a plan at QB and for the offense. They were very close this year with a below avg HC, OC, OL, and running game. They lost close games because of the HC's stubborn conservatism where they had the talent to win.

That is one reason stated by Whaley that they decided to bring in a coach with experience. They didn't want to start over with a rookie HC because they aren't rebuilding. They are very close.

With no signs of a QB in place, in a passing league, guaranteeing the playoffs is just hot air. I'm not saying the Bills won't make it... I'm just saying what do you gain? Especially if you come up short. The media, who is his best friend during the offseason, won't hesitate to expose yet another Ryan Guarantee that didn't pan out. It doesn't help the team won games. It's hot air. It can't help, but it can hurt if you fail.

No offense but your talking out both sides of your mouth....

- I dont have any intention of being negative on Rex Ryan and you couldnt convince me if you tried

- Your basing everything you say over what happened....both with your defense AND with Roman on this last year.....you really cant do that if you want to be objective fan.

- Roman's offense prior to this last year has been deeeeeep into the playoffs. If the offense had not faltered he wouldnt even be availble to the bills

- Rex Ryan's defense.....as a whole (not counting this last year) have been very good in nearly every stat catagory. Lets keep in mind the defensive talent he is walking into this year......which would make ANY DC look good. With Rex Ryan's defensive mind.......well......

If your expecting a warm welcome from every bills fan here....your not being realistic.

I am neither for or against any of the information you have given......because it doesnt apply to our team. Different situation.

Not here for any warm welcomes.

With no signs of a QB in place, in a passing league, guaranteeing the playoffs is just hot air. I'm not saying the Bills won't make it... I'm just saying what do you gain? Especially if you come up short. The media, who is his best friend during the offseason, won't hesitate to expose yet another Ryan Guarantee that didn't pan out. It doesn't help the team won games. It's hot air. It can't help, but it can hurt if you fail.

he didn't guarantee it this year if you listened to the press conf ( I can't imagine you did but kind of starting to wonder). But I have no problem with it, sorry. The team is more than good enough and yes, they will get a decent QB IMO. 9 months to go until the season, FA hadn't started, can't do any trades, draft isn't for 3 months, TC not for 7 months, what "signs" of another QB do I need in January other that the fact that every single FO and coach said they are bringing one in? Edited by YoloinOhio

If that's the HC you want... You got it. Not saying you are wrong or right, just not the type of guy I want running the show. I want the DC running defense, OC running offense and HC running the whole show with his eye on the big picture. That's why there are 3 different positions on almost every football team.

It's hard to find a 1 dimensional HC that has won a SB. They all have specialties, but the champions keep their eye on the prize and let their coordinators handle the details. CEO is what it takes to run an NFL team. It's too big and complex these days.

If that's the HC you want... You got it. Not saying you are wrong or right, just not the type of guy I want running the show. I want the DC running defense, OC running offense and HC running the whole show with his eye on the big picture. That's why there are 3 different positions on almost every football team.

It's hard to find a 1 dimensional HC that has won a SB. They all have specialties, but the champions keep their eye on the prize and let their coordinators handle the details. CEO is what it takes to run an NFL team. It's too big and complex these days.

And yet your former coach did in fact make it to 2 consecutive AFC championships with a middling QB doing it just the way I described and the way you dont want.

Perhaps there are other factors for success and failure here?

you seem like you really care about Rex going to the Bills. You might notice not many people here have said much about Chan Gailey. I do have an old "yes we Chan" shirt if you want it. He's a nice man.

So do you still think Rex ran the exact same scheme this year with those "corners"?

Edited by YoloinOhio