Some Cops Do Stand Trial for Excessive Force

The police are not trained nor do they have the culture to handle the mentally ill, developmentally disabled, autistic, or those suffering from senile dementia with good outcomes. America probably needs mental illness crisis intervention response teams that can be called upon for situations like this.

In the end I guess you really can't blame the DA for pushing the Grand Jury down the road to trial, even if it is Anita Alvarez, old Daly crony and uber-liberal Cook County. It is NOT being brought in front of a jury.

Maybe that's how the other excessive force cases should have been handle. Bring the case out from the secrecy of the Grand Jury. The family of the 95 year vet gets their day in court.

I just can't see how the cop can be convicted in this case as tragic as it is the old dude was wielding a butcher knife threatening to kill the officers and himself (can't just lock him in his room and hope the situation goes away). You can't jump the guy either. They did attempt to shoot a taser (prongs missed) and then the bean bags.

The police are not trained nor do they have the culture to handle the mentally ill, developmentally disabled, autistic, or those suffering from senile dementia with good outcomes. America probably needs mental illness crisis intervention response teams that can be called upon for situations like this.

It's Park Forest, were are they going to get the resources? But interesting take.

BTW... A little bit of Park Forest history. It was one, if not they first planned communities in the country. It was designed for low cost housing for returning WWII vets. Now, it is 75-25 African American to White... It had a hell of a time during the Civil Rights Movement and the big change came in the 70's to 80's with White Flight.

Welcome to Riddler logic.

Damn good Riddler Logic to boot.

I would hope you would back the Boys in Blue for this case. It's like Chef said...

Oh... Also to requote you. You know what my wife said about your response? She's @ the Public Library... LMAO! You get my drift? That's what the PL does!

She's kinda right. We met @ the BECPL (Buffalo and Erie County Public Library)... She was my boss there... LOL... She's still helping the disabled, autistic, and those suffering from senile dementia... ME! Response team member w/"benefits."

;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

In the end I guess you really can't blame the DA for pushing the Grand Jury down the road to trial, even if it is Anita Alvarez, old Daly crony and uber-liberal Cook County. It is NOT being brought in front of a jury.

Maybe that's how the other excessive force cases should have been handle. Bring the case out from the secrecy of the Grand Jury. The family of the 95 year vet gets their day in court.

I just can't see how the cop can be convicted in this case as tragic as it is the old dude was wielding a butcher knife threatening to kill the officers and himself (can't just lock him in his room and hope the situation goes away). You can't jump the guy either. They did attempt to shoot a taser (prongs missed) and then the bean bags.

It's Park Forest, were are they going to get the resources? But interesting take.

BTW... A little bit of Park Forest history. It was one, if not they first planned communities in the country. It was designed for low cost housing for returning WWII vets. Now, it is 75-25 African American to White... It had a hell of a time during the Civil Rights Movement and the big change came in the 70's to 80's with White Flight.

Damn good Riddler Logic to boot.

I would hope you would back the Boys in Blue for this case. It's like Chef said...

Sure looks like the cop acted within the boundary of his responsibilities.

What exactly Is there in this story for you to compare it to the other cases?

Oh... Also to requote you. You know what my wife said about your response? She's @ the Public Library... LMAO! You get my drift? That's what the PL does!

She's kinda right. We met @ the BECPL (Buffalo and Erie County Public Library)... She was my boss there... LOL... She's still helping the disabled, autistic, and those suffering from senile dementia... ME! Response team member w/"benefits."

;-)

Interesting I worked a couple years @ the BECPL in the mid 80s mostly in the Stacks and Microfilm - as for what can and can't in the above situation there are people in the Human Services and mental health occupations who deal with things like that and worse but it is a totally different mindset, we are suppose to stop out of control people from hurting themselves and others without hurting them - the downside is these are jobs with fairly high injury rates and there have been at least 4 deaths of Group home staff in WNY that I'm aware of in the last 5 or 6 years.

Sure looks like the cop acted within the boundary of his responsibilities.

What exactly Is there in this story for you to compare it to the other cases?

That he is standing trial and the others aren't. What did the grand jury see to make it go to trial. Why is he even on trial. This seems even more clear cut than the other two.

This did happen a year before Ferguson and NYC. But there it would seem they had a better reason to go to trial.

Is it just practice in liberal Cook County? That being Alvarez push to @ least air it out in @ trial? That's all the people in Ferguson wanted from the Grand Jury and there it seemed a trial was more warranted than this extreme case. I can't rightly see how the judge will rule against him. Unless, there is something that hasn't been disclosed.

Then... There is the fact he is a black officer and the old guy was white. Just seems they throw the black officer under the bus while the white officers get the free "you don't go to trial" card.

Going to trial would seem to clear the air in many case. Clear the secrecy of the Grand Jury.

Interesting I worked a couple years @ the BECPL in the mid 80s mostly in the Stacks and Microfilm - as for what can and can't in the above situation there are people in the Human Services and mental health occupations who deal with things like that and worse but it is a totally different mindset, we are suppose to stop out of control people from hurting themselves and others without hurting them - the downside is these are jobs with fairly high injury rates and there have been at least 4 deaths of Group home staff in WNY that I'm aware of in the last 5 or 6 years.

I here what you are saying and agree!

@ BECPL... Worked on history grant getting the collections online... Late 1980's, early 1990's. Would go in the stacks, bring carts of the collection up and then search OCLC for the record... Then put them back. Early formation of the database. That would get it in the database... Then worked in TOLIS before leaving. Wife was leading the grant work... LoL... I'd pass all the stuff I couldn't find in OCLC on to her to look up... Like old military construction pamplets were the absolute worse to find a record for!

Anyway, wife started years earlier (while in high school) in the music department... Spinning vinyl records manly for the homeless. The head of the department would make them schedule appointments and clean themselves up, wear something respectable! LoL There was one guy... Mr. Johnson who would always come in and listen to the theme from Shaft... Superfly, etc... He would always snap his finger when he wanted the record flipped... Getting all wound up with the headphones on, etc... This would absolutely drive the music department head crazy! LoL! Ahh, the crazy stories from back in the pre-internet days!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

That he is standing trial and the others aren't. What did the grand jury see to make it go to trial. Why is he even on trial. This seems even more clear cut than the other two.

This did happen a year before Ferguson and NYC. But there it would seem they had a better reason to go to trial.

Is it just practice in liberal Cook County? That being Alvarez push to @ least air it out in @ trial? That's all the people in Ferguson wanted from the Grand Jury and there it seemed a trial was more warranted than this extreme case. I can't rightly see how the judge will rule against him. Unless, there is something that hasn't been disclosed.

Then... There is the fact he is a black officer and the old guy was white. Just seems they throw the black officer under the bus while the white officers get the free "you don't go to trial" card.

Going to trial would seem to clear the air in many case. Clear the secrecy of the Grand Jury.

There was a similar case in NYC a few years back with an 85 year old black women yelling and waving around a knife in her apartment the police ended up putting double digit slugs in her.

There was a similar case in NYC a few years back with an 85 year old black women yelling and waving around a knife in her apartment the police ended up putting double digit slugs in her.

Wow! Piece your reply back to my post, I take that it didn't go to trial... The cops were white?

It seems in this case, not too many cops and departments are coming to his aid. One of the few is the Chief from nearby Robbins. Robbins is almost all AA and not very financially well off. I don't understand why other departments aren't coming out in his defense.

I here what you are saying and agree!

@ BECPL... Worked on history grant getting the collections online... Late 1980's, early 1990's. Would go in the stacks, bring carts of the collection up and then search OCLC for the record... Then put them back. Early formation of the database. That would get it in the database... Then worked in TOLIS before leaving. Wife was leading the grant work... LoL... I'd pass all the stuff I couldn't find in OCLC on to her to look up... Like old military construction pamplets were the absolute worse to find a record for!

Anyway, wife started years earlier (while in high school) in the music department... Spinning vinyl records manly for the homeless. The head of the department would make them schedule appointments and clean themselves up, wear something respectable! LoL There was one guy... Mr. Johnson who would always come in and listen to the theme from Shaft... Superfly, etc... He would always snap his finger when he wanted the record flipped... Getting all wound up with the headphones on, etc... This would absolutely drive the music department head crazy! LoL! Ahh, the crazy stories from back in the pre-internet days!

The head librarian for the Music dept was quite a pill, to say her emotional state was up and down would be an understatement, your wife must have a kind soul and some thick skin.

Wow! Piece your reply back to my post, I take that it didn't go to trial... The cops were white?

It seems in this case, not too many cops and departments are coming to his aid. One of the few is the Chief from nearby Robbins. Robbins is almost all AA and not very financially well off. I don't understand why other departments aren't coming out in his defense.

I don't know if the cops were all white, If I remember right there were a bunch of them enough that the cops in front couldn't back up when the women moved forward.

I'm sure you'd be posting the instances of black cops shooting white perps and not getting charged.

Let's say NYC cops confront a mentally deranged Orthodox Jew in a heavily populated Jewish neighborhood in Brooklyn, and shoot him after he attacked them with a hammer.

What do you think the grand jury does?

Edited by GG

So. Do you stand by the officer in this case. Presumably like you do in the other two.

??

I don't "stand by" any one group, police, WW2 vets etc. Preferably, I'd evaluate the case independently and see if the evidence is sufficient to bring to a grand jury.