My thoughts on the game last night

34-78-83

Hopefully some of you that didn't get a chance to see the game will appreciate this. I'm just gonna list some "bullet" points as they come to mind after watching the game approximately one and a half times :P :

- First team Oline: Looked VERY solid across the board. The "push" from the interior three guys (Smith, Teague, Valarial) on running plays was consistent and quite encouraging. Although DET didn't have a couple of their DB's in, their DL is fairly formidable so again this was good to see. I noticed also that in the passing game, the line is setting wider in their "Spreads" than last year, which is the correct thing to do to get better angles on outside rushers, and something you can afford to do if your interior linemen are holding their own. The boys gave Drew enough time to throw and a nice pocket every time he dropped back and I saw some nice chip blocks by L Smith to help Teague out quickly. M williams is slowly but surely starting to look like a high draft pick again. Jennings had a false start when Matthews was in.

- Bledsoe: Very sharp I thought for the second game in a row. Very confident out there. Stepped up into the pocket well. Two good play action fakes. Hit his receivers very accurately. Got rid of the ball quickly.

- Rb's : McGahee was solid yet unspectacular. He did find a few nice cutback holes on his own, including the touchdown run. Is still a little hesitant before hitting the LOS although some of this to me is because we are used to Henry and Willis is more of a patient runner, and some is due to maybe a lack of confidence in his reads... Shaud Williams looked very good again. Showed enough speed to the outside to beat defenders and also showed great vision to the hole. He doesn't have alot of power but I don't think he's really that type of back. Simonton showed some decent moves as well but not quite as good as Williams.

- Wr's : Moulds is definitely back to being Moulds. 'nuff said. There was an Evans sighting as he broke open and caught a short pass over the middle. I had noticed that most of his routes are kept to the outside so it was nice to see him in the middle of the field for a change. Aiken showed GREAT RAC ability turning a short pass into a 51 yard gain and using that swat move that he undoubtedly learned from Moulds. He really looks like a Moulds clone although he's just not quite as ex[plosive. Shaw looks steady and solid. He caught the 4th down pass to keep the opening drive alive and appears to be running crisper routes this year. Reed had a nice catch and run over the middle although he fumbled at the end of the run due to extra- effort. Freddie Smith blew it by dropping a pass that hit him square in the shoulder pads. Hadda has some sure hands but he just seems too one-dimensional to make the team.

- DL: Overall nobody really stood out to me on the DL last night other than Bannon. He really looked like he was playing to save his job and had some nice penetration and held the line well against the run. Most of the time the starters seemed to be giving @ 80 %, much like last preseason when all the chicken littles came out re: our run defense.

- DB's: Wire looked solid in run support as expected. Greer got toasted for the first time that I have seen in the pre-season. Baker made a couple nice hits. On the Lions 1st TD pass there were three db's all in position and all three went for the pick and wiffed. Vincent and Clements were quiet although Troy got his nose in their nicely on some gang tackles while Clements shyed away from contact a couple times.

I'm gonna hold off on the Special teams because they were really rotating all sorts of players in and out of that unit. I'll also hold off on TE's and LB's until I get a better look later....

Hope you all enjoy :D

Guest Guesteroo
Hopefully some of you that didn't get a chance to see the game will appreciate this. I'm just gonna list some "bullet" points as they come to mind after watching the game approximately one and a half times  :P  :

- First team Oline: Looked VERY solid across the board. The "push" from the interior three guys (Smith, Teague, Valarial) on running plays was consistent and quite encouraging. Although DET didn't have a couple of their DB's in, their DL is fairly formidable so again this was good to see. I noticed also that in the passing game, the line is setting wider in their "Spreads" than last year, which is the correct thing to do to get better angles on outside rushers, and something you can afford to do if your interior linemen are holding their own. The boys gave Drew enough time to throw and a nice pocket every time he dropped back and I saw some nice chip blocks by L Smith to help Teague out quickly. M williams is slowly but surely starting to look like a high draft pick again. Jennings had a false start when Matthews was in.

- Bledsoe: Very sharp I thought for the second game in a row. Very confident out there. Stepped up into the pocket well. Two good play action fakes. Hit his receivers very accurately. Got rid of the ball quickly.

- Rb's : McGahee was solid yet unspectacular. He did find a few nice cutback holes on his own, including the touchdown run. Is still a little hesitant before hitting the LOS although some of this to me is because we are used to Henry and Willis is more of a patient runner, and some is due to maybe a lack of confidence in his reads... Shaud Williams looked very good again. Showed enough speed to the outside to beat defenders and also showed great vision to the hole. He doesn't have alot of power but I don't think he's really that type of back. Simonton showed some decent moves as well but not quite as good as Williams.

- Wr's : Moulds is definitely back to being Moulds. 'nuff said. There was an Evans sighting as he broke open and caught a short pass over the middle. I had noticed that most of his routes are kept to the outside so it was nice to see him in the middle of the field for a change. Aiken showed GREAT RAC ability turning a short pass into a 51 yard gain and using that swat move that he undoubtedly learned from Moulds. He really looks like a Moulds clone although he's just not quite as ex[plosive. Shaw looks steady and solid. He caught the 4th down pass to keep the opening drive alive and appears to be running crisper routes this year. Reed had a nice catch and run over the middle although he fumbled at the end of the run due to extra- effort. Freddie Smith blew it by dropping a pass that hit him square in the shoulder pads. Hadda has some sure hands but he just seems too one-dimensional to make the team.

- DL: Overall nobody really stood out to me on the DL last night other than Bannon. He really looked like he was playing to save his job and had some nice penetration and held the line well against the run. Most of the time the starters seemed to be giving @ 80 %, much like last preseason when all the chicken littles came out re: our run defense. 

- DB's: Wire looked solid in run support as expected. Greer got toasted for the first time that I have seen in the pre-season. Baker made a couple nice hits. On the Lions 1st TD pass there were three db's all in position and all three went for the pick and wiffed. Vincent and Clements were quiet although Troy got his nose in their nicely on some gang tackles while Clements shyed away from contact a couple times.

I'm gonna hold off on the Special teams because they were really rotating all sorts of players in and out of that unit. I'll also hold off on TE's and LB's until I get a better look later....

Hope you all enjoy  :D

17329[/snapback]

Great. . . from the sounds of it, I'll book my reservations for the Superbowl now.

Give me a break with this stuff. Did ANYONE not look so good? McGahee "solid" = 11 carries for 24 yds?? Come on!

If the running game is solid, Bledsoe will feast on the play action pass this season.  On the couple that they ran I realized that he is actually VERY good at this.  It completely froze the LB's.  If we can run, Drew could have a HUGE year!

17346[/snapback]

Well it is no wonder that defense was shocked - they have not seen Drew doing it before! Before someone clamors and this is preseason and they do not study film, we have been playing Detriot in preseason games last few years so they have seen Drew first hand.

I wonder who Donahoe will trade to Detroit for a late round pick next year? Orlando was featured and game and got interest from Lions. Bannan or Greer maybe?

Great. . . from the sounds of it, I'll book my reservations for the Superbowl now.

Give me a break with this stuff. Did ANYONE not look so good? McGahee "solid" = 11 carries for 24 yds?? Come on!

17358[/snapback]

The difference between you and me kangaroo is that I actually watch the games, understand the game of football, and contirbute to this board. There is nothing "fluffed" about my post above. I post just the facts. If you actually watched the games or knew WTF you were looking at you might understand that situationally, the running game was a success and forced the lions in tight and allowed for a play action passing game. I know it's poular to be negative about everything these days but I dont jive with that stevestojan and I never will. Please refrain from posting on my threads in the future asswipe.

17358[/snapback]

Yeah, c'mon. You have to give us SOMETHING to B word about. :P

Please refrain from posting on my threads in the future asswipe.

17373[/snapback]

Unfortunately there is no way to "ignore" all guests like there is new feature to "ignore" users like Rudy. That would allow those who do not want to see posts by guests to just ignore them unless someone else has quoted them.

The difference between you and me kangaroo is that I actually watch the games, understand the game of football, and contirbute to this board. There is nothing "fluffed" about my post above. I post just the facts. If you actually watched the games or knew WTF you were looking at you might understand that situationally, the running game was a success and forced the lions in tight and allowed for a play action passing game. I know it's poular to be negative about everything these days but I dont jive with that stevestojan and I never will. Please refrain from posting on my threads in the future asswipe.

17373[/snapback]

Don't worry 34-78-83. "Guesteroo" sounds like a Patsy fan who only knows how to read box scores but lacks the underlying understanding of the various elements about the game of football. You know, the ones who will likely respond to this post.

Yeah, c'mon.  You have to give us SOMETHING to B word about.  :P

17379[/snapback]

I know you're just being sarcastic, but there's actually plenty to B word about listed in my report (IF one actually reads it). It's people like Pesteroo who take a phrase like "solid but unspectacular" and turn it into "solid" for their own childish reasons who need help with the English language. I posted this thread for those who actually give a crap and by request from another long-time TBD member.

17358[/snapback]

Yes, yes, yes. You are so good at gloom and doom and never have anything positive to say that you clearly MUST be one of us. Please join us, Guestaroo, as you have all the makings of one of us. You say things that rile up the Bills fan, and they usually are words containing little more than three syllables at a time with no value whatsoever.

Soon, oh so soon, we will all be victorious and laugh at all the Bills fans.

That is, until we start losing, at which time we'll all disappear faster than Ricky Williams being called in for another drug test.

Yes, yes, yes. You are so good at gloom and doom and never have anything positive to say that you clearly MUST be one of us. Please join us, Guestaroo, as you have all the makings of one of us. You say things that rile up the Bills fan, and they usually are words containing little more than three syllables at a time with no value whatsoever.

That is, until we start losing, at which time we'll all disappear faster than Ricky Williams being called in for another drug test.

17462[/snapback]

In other words, "I am a Bills fan and I am better than you."

Please. <_<

Or just splurge and drop $20 on a VCR.  They DO still make them...

17402[/snapback]

DO they? Thanks for the tip, however with the holiday weekend and what not I figure it will be time for the opener before I would even have time to watch it, so I'll just holdout. But I do appreciate your suggestion :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

I'm proud of you Mike for not shredding my analysis of your favorite Bill as much as I'm sure you wanted to.  B)

17478[/snapback]

Hey - my pleasure. <_< I'm trying to live up to my pledge to keep the DB negativity to a minimum until the season starts.

This is the time of year when hope springs eternal (as it should). Hope is the opiate of the masses, right? There will be another team that will come out of nowhere like the 2001 Patriots did - why not the Bills? After all, the Drewfather was prominently involved with both teams. ;)

Hey - my pleasure.  <_<  I'm trying to live up to my pledge to keep the DB negativity to a minimum until the season starts. 

This is the time of year when hope springs eternal (as it should).  Hope is the opiate of the masses, right?  There will be another team that will come out of nowhere like the 2001 Patriots did - why not the Bills?  After all, the Drewfather was prominently involved with both teams.  ;)

17572[/snapback]

Cool... I know you've heard it before but I'm telling you there is a distinct change in his setup as well as in his play-action game. Wyche is making a difference. Now it's up to Drew to keep at it.

Cool...  I know you've heard it before but I'm telling you there is a distinct change in his setup as well as in his play-action game. Wyche is making a difference. Now it's up to Drew to keep at it.

17576[/snapback]

Come now! Drew has had AMAZING coaches before who couldn't do a thing with him. What makes you think a bum like Wyche could help him? :sarcasm:

Cool...  I know you've heard it before but I'm telling you there is a distinct change in his setup as well as in his play-action game. Wyche is making a difference. Now it's up to Drew to keep at it.

17576[/snapback]

In '96 under Parcells, The Drewfather made it his mission to become a good play-action passer. He was terrific at it that one year, leading the Pats to SB 31. He never put the time or effort in on it again, which was too bad - he made himself a good play-action passer when he worked at it.

Laziness - or more accurately, doing the bare minimum - has always been DB's downfall. With Wyche riding him, perhaps that's the prescription to get him back to his previous level of established mediocrity.

(Sorry - couldn't resist!) <_<

Guest Guesteroo

17462[/snapback]

NO, NO!!!. . . I'll never join you. I'll never join the dark side. . . never!

You're not my father!

NO, NO!!!. . . I'll never join you. I'll never join the dark side. . . never!

You're not my father!

17600[/snapback]

Ok, Ok that was actually funny ;)

But get the flock out of here nonetheless <_<

In '96 under Parcells, The Drewfather made it his mission to become a good play-action passer.  He was terrific at it that one year, leading the Pats to SB 31.  He never put the time or effort in on it again, which was too bad - he made himself a good play-action passer when he worked at it.

Laziness - or more accurately, doing the bare minimum - has always been DB's downfall.  With Wyche riding him, perhaps that's the prescription to get him back to his previous level of established mediocrity.

(Sorry - couldn't resist!) <_<

17597[/snapback]

So Drew was a good play-action passer back in 1996 (and 1997 I'd suspect), but not AFTER that? Hmmm, wonder why THAT is? Oh wait a minute, it's because it's ALWAYS DREW'S FAULT. Sorry, the excuse generator went on the fritz there for a minute.

So Drew was a good play-action passer back in 1996 (and 1997 I'd suspect), but not AFTER that?  Hmmm, wonder why THAT is?  Oh wait a minute, it's because it's ALWAYS DREW'S FAULT.  Sorry, the excuse generator went on the fritz there for a minute.

17654[/snapback]

Wonder why that is? BECAUSE THAT ONE YEAR HE WORKED AT IT.

His play-passing hasn't been good since then.

Wonder why that is?  BECAUSE THAT ONE YEAR HE WORKED AT IT.

17693[/snapback]

I have to agree with Mike here, I really don't know from his years in NE, but here his PA left much to be desired.

He kind of turned his body without really selling the handoff and he fooled no one in the process.

It's nice to hear he's improving the little details like this one.

Wonder why that is?  BECAUSE THAT ONE YEAR HE WORKED AT IT.

17693[/snapback]

So the inference is that his play-action passing was what led them to the SB? WEll his stats were as good, if not better, in 1997, when he had Curtis Martin. See you need a running game to be able to sell the play-action.

So the inference is that his play-action passing was what led them to the SB?  WEll his stats were as good, if not better, in 1997, when he had Curtis Martin.  See you need a running game to be able to sell the play-action.

17726[/snapback]

I agree. But when you have a running game, you can't just run the play action. You have to sell it. There are times he does it well...but not consistently, and I think his reputation precedes him because of his early successes.

Nonetheless, the key here is he WAS better when he worked on things. Apparently, now, he's got that guidance again. It seems to translate well so far, based on the preseason, but I've been bit in the ass by successful preseasons before, so I only give that a bit of weight.

Need more proof? Pudding coming up...one week from tomorrow.

Thank ya Jeezus...