Travis Henry for LJ Shelton?

The Jokeman

The Cardinals granted the agent for offensive tackle L.J. Shelton permission to pursue a trade, just 15 months after the team re-signed Shelton to a lucrative contract extension.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/...5cards0205.html

It seems like most feel that Jennings won't be back next year. I feel Shelton might be a slight downgrade from Jennings yet all things condidered I think it be a fair trade for both sides. As Shelton is a proven NFL player and probably prove being worth more than an unknown draft pick and the free agent landscape is pretty bare when it comes to Offensive Tackles. Not to mention Shelton doesn't have a big money contract, which seems to be the most overwhelming reason most here don't want to re-sign Jennings. Toss in Damion Shelton is LJ's cousin might make him a perfect fit here. And of course it gets rid of Henry and puts him in the NFC and allows him to be "the guy"once again now that Emmit is retired. Thoughts?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good catch. I was just reading that at the Redzone and thinking the same thing. He's due to make only 3 Mil for the next 4 years, a bonifide bargain. Jennings will sign for 2 to 3 times that. No bonus $$ to pay out.

Might not be a bad idea. He was highly touted, coming out of college. Would have to think TD is considering this. Let McNally whip him into shape. Plus re-sign Marcus Price and the Tackle position is solved. Then move on to LG and re-signing Nate. Would think Green would like a RB like Henry.

Very interesting.

IMO this is the perfect move to make with Travis. It just seems to perfectly fit everyones needs.

Shelton isn't a dominating Tackle, but we can't afford one anyway. With McNally's help and a good pickup at LG we could be one our way to having our first solid line in a long time.

wow.  he is signed for reasonable numbers and his signing bonus is paid by the trading team, so no salary cap issues.  i dont know too much about him, but its an interesting trade. 

http://www.nflplayers.com/players_network/...k.aspx?ID=27033

229254[/snapback]

Here's a blurb from his 1999 CNNSI predraft bio:

Lonnie Shelton | OT | Eastern Michigan | Mid-American 

Selected by Arizona Cardinals in round 1, pick 21 (#21 overall) 

Ht  Wt  40  BP  SS  LS  VJ  BJ  Grade 

6'5"  341  5.44  22  4.77  -  29.5  8'4"  7.06 

He is a player from a small school that is really coming on and he may have the best upside of any offensive linemen in this draft. He did not look out of place at the Senior Bowl and showed good overall movement and agility while playing left tackle against better players than he was used to on the college level. He has a little bit of a "rap" of being a hot and cold player and he tends to play to the level of his competition, which means he doesn't always dominate because he does not face great defensive linemen. He has a great athletic background and his dad was a NBA player. He has excellent feet, can adjust on the move, is a natural kneebender and he has good overall balance. He has natural strength and he uses it well and has a good coil and explosion. However, for all of these skills, he does not always dominate at the point of attack, he does not do a great job of finishing his blocks and at times, he will turn into a waistbender and appear to be sluggish. He seems to have realized what is at stake for him in the next few months and his intensity level is improving. This is a player that will tease a lot of NFL teams and if they are comfortable with his work ethic, he will be drafted high. There are no questions about his physical skills.

and a link to his Stats Profile.

You are going to get him from the cards for Travis stright up. But maybe Travis and next years 1st or this years 2nd possibly. Come on guys this is a solid LT who was a mid first rounder signed to a very cap friendly deal. He will not go that cheap. Please be realistic.

You are going to get him from the cards for Travis stright up.  But maybe Travis and next years 1st or this years 2nd possibly.  Come on guys this is a solid LT who was a mid first rounder signed to a very cap friendly deal.  He will not go that cheap.  Please be realistic.

229337[/snapback]

Denny Green hates him, so you never know. Noone cares about what round you are drafted in the season after teh draft, they care only about your performance on the field. If a guy was drafted more than 3 years ago it really doesnt matter where they went.

You are going to get him from the cards for Travis stright up.  But maybe Travis and next years 1st or this years 2nd possibly.  Come on guys this is a solid LT who was a mid first rounder signed to a very cap friendly deal.  He will not go that cheap.  Please be realistic.

229337[/snapback]

It seems to me that Denny Green bases his decisions on his gut and on emotion. From a supply and demand standpoint you are right: there will be more qualified RBs than left tackles this offseason. But from a gut standpoint--if Green decides that Henry is a winner and that Shelton isn't--then Green will do the deal straight up.

Denny Green hates him, so you never know.  Noone cares about what round you are drafted in the season after teh draft, they care only about your performance on the field.  If a guy was drafted more than 3 years ago it really doesnt matter where they went.

229344[/snapback]

Again, not to be realistic again, but Travis is worth what maybe a 3rd or 4th at most. Yeah I know some folks around here say 2nd, and even then.

But Shelton is a top 10 LT in the NFL, who is on a cap friendly deal. It is not just the Bills who will want this guy. We are going to be bidding again the likes of any team with a need at LT. Miami, NO, Washington, Cinci, Cleveland, Chicago, etc....

He will not be had for less then a 1st rounder at a minimu, and possibly a first plus more. LT of this quality, age and contract size do not come around very often.

If they were to deal with us, even with Travis, we still give up at least our 2nd this year, and/or 1st next year.

Now personally I would jump all over this. I am not a big fan of Mr. Average when he is healthy Jennings. He seems to miss a third of every season and then is only average when in there.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/...5cards0205.html

It seems like most feel that Jennings won't be back next year. I feel Shelton might be a slight downgrade from Jennings yet all things condidered I think it be a fair trade for both sides. As Shelton is a proven NFL player and probably prove being worth more than an unknown draft pick and the free agent landscape is pretty bare when it comes to Offensive Tackles. Not to mention Shelton doesn't have a big money contract, which seems to be the most overwhelming reason most here don't want to re-sign Jennings. Toss in Damion Shelton is LJ's cousin might make him a perfect fit here. And of course it gets rid of Henry and puts him in the NFC and allows him to be "the guy"once again  now that Emmit is retired. Thoughts?

229243[/snapback]

Is this guy an upgrade or downgrade from Jennings.

And why is Jennings going to get some mega-deal?

He did have a nice year this year, a "contract" year, and had a couple nice games.

AZ may actually not get nailed with a big cap hit in the trade, and that could bode very well for us, as AZ will be willing to deal.

Shelton signed an extension in late '03, and Cards were able to use a bunch of the cap hit in '03, meaning that they'll absorb about $2mil of a cap hit with the trade.

I would crap my pants if we could work out a trade and get Shelton.  Here is a guy who could step right in and really help solidify our line with McNally's help.  I'd easily do a Henry for Shelton deal.

229257[/snapback]

Sounds like another Mike Willams type of guy. That could be sweet.

But Shelton is a top 10 LT in the NFL, who is on a cap friendly deal.

229367[/snapback]

When the hell did Shelton become a top ten LT? When he went on the trading block?

He's a solid LT who despite a few very recent injuries will get a look from plenty of teams, but over-valuing him isn't being any more "realistic" than anyone else in this thread.

Considering Shelton was replaced last year and is now expendable, I think Henry is a pretty even trade. Remember, before this year Henry WAS top ten at his position (in terms of yards and TD's anyway) before he was replaced by a younger guy with more upside after getting injured. Oh yeah, and he's signed to a cap friendly contract.

Sounds kind of familiar.