Article: Looking at a potential contract for Jerry Hughes

YoloinOhio

BTW projected tag for DEs in 2015 is $14.6M.

I figured it was going up. It was 13+ last year and the cap is supposed to go up 10m or so I think. It's still worth it, IMO, IF you cannot sign him long term.

We're paying our linebackers peanuts. Bradham is a 4th rounder, Kiko is 2nd, Brown is 3rd. Even if we sign Bradham to an extension and re-sign Spikes, we would still not be paying that group very much money. If you count the DL and LB as one group, the front 7 instead of two, we aren't way out of whack as far as the rest of the team goes.

I figured it was going up. It was 13+ last year and the cap is supposed to go up 10m or so I think. It's still worth it, IMO, IF you cannot sign him long term.

We're paying our linebackers peanuts. Bradham is a 4th rounder, Kiko is 2nd, Brown is 3rd. Even if we sign Bradham to an extension and re-sign Spikes, we would still not be paying that group very much money. If you count the DL and LB as one group, the front 7 instead of two, we aren't way out of whack as far as the rest of the team goes.

... Until we float Darius his own $11+ mill... And there we have our $40 Million/yr. D-line. Ok, now we have to pay Gilmore, and Glenn... Gee, I sure wish we had that money back.

... Until we float Darius his own $11+ mill... And there we have our $40 Million/yr. D-line. Ok, now we have to pay Gilmore, and Glenn... Gee, I sure wish we had that money back.

There's cap space to make all of that happen:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2015/

Right now, the team is $28M below the cap for 2015. This does not include the $19M that they can roll over from 2014, which would bring it up to $47M. Now assume that they can clear more space by cutting Chandler ($2.25M) and Spiller opting out ($4.36M), and you can see how they get to over $50M in cap space. Front-load Jerry Hughes' contract with a $20M roster bonus and a $5M base salary, and you've just taken half the cap hit in a single season, spreading the rest of the $30M over 4 seasons or so, and you still have over $25M in cap space. That's more than enough to sign a few key FAs, keep guys like Searcy, Hairston, and Wynn, plus extend two of Dareus, Glenn, and Gilmore.

Next off-season, you can extend Mario and Kyle to lessen their cap hit, part ways with Chris Williams and Kraig Urbik, and have plenty of room to sign the last of the 3 mentioned above plus Bradham.

There's cap space to make all of that happen:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2015/

Right now, the team is $28M below the cap for 2015. This does not include the $19M that they can roll over from 2014, which would bring it up to $47M. Now assume that they can clear more space by cutting Chandler ($2.25M) and Spiller opting out ($4.36M), and you can see how they get to over $50M in cap space. Front-load Jerry Hughes' contract with a $20M roster bonus and a $5M base salary, and you've just taken half the cap hit in a single season, spreading the rest of the $30M over 4 seasons or so, and you still have over $25M in cap space. That's more than enough to sign a few key FAs, keep guys like Searcy, Hairston, and Wynn, plus extend two of Dareus, Glenn, and Gilmore.

Next off-season, you can extend Mario and Kyle to lessen their cap hit, part ways with Chris Williams and Kraig Urbik, and have plenty of room to sign the last of the 3 mentioned above plus Bradham.

Thank you for clarifying, I thought we were closer to 16 million in cap room, and anticipating Mario's per annum increasing, and I forgot about rollover cap space.

Thank you for clarifying, I thought we were closer to 16 million in cap room, and anticipating Mario's per annum increasing, and I forgot about rollover cap space.

No problemo...as it stands at this moment, the $16M number is accurate, so you're not wrong in reference to 2014