Excellent QB's from schools that aren't football powerhouses

Damian

Since the Bills are not in position to grab one of the top QB's in the draft, I took a look at the stats of QB's from schools that are not football powerhouses. I wanted to see a QB that elevated his team despite not having top talent surrounding him. Looking at ESPN's EPA stat (Expected Points Added on a pass attempt) and two QB's had better EPA ratings than Marcus Mariota from Oregon (who will probably go in the first few picks). I picked this one stat because it was strictly about passing, not running, not how many sacks they took, etc.

The two QB's were Shane Carden from ECU and Brandon Doughty from WKU.

Mariota's EPA is 91.2

Carden's EPA is 94.1

Doughty's EPA is 110.3

Both Carden & Doughty are pocket-style passers, not read-option running QB's. This, to me, is a plus as it will make the transition to the pros easier.

Both Carden & Doughty are gunslingers, putting up impressive passing yards:

Mariota 4121 yds

Carden 4736 yds

Doughty 4830 yds

I would think both of these QB's will be available when the Bills pick and would be nice to bring to camp to battle EJ for the starting job.

Any thoughts on these two or some other QB's from non-powerhouse programs?

Edited by Damian

This would be a good place to mention them to spur discussion. :flirt:

I was trying not to thread-jack, as I did a pretty comprehensive evaluation thread a week or two back. I felt that linking to it here would be stealing thunder, but re-typing it would just be a pain :lol:

I guess I'll just link to it and then shut up:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/174727-bandits-2015-draft-report-qbs/

Since the Bills are not in position to grab one of the top QB's in the draft, I took a look at the stats of QB's from schools that are not football powerhouses. I wanted to see a QB that elevated his team despite not having top talent surrounding him. Looking at ESPN's EPA stat (Expected Points Added on a pass attempt) and two QB's had better EPA ratings than Marcus Mariota from Oregon (who will probably go in the first few picks). I picked this one stat because it was strictly about passing, not running, not how many sacks they took, etc.

The two QB's were Shane Carden from ECU and Brandon Doughty from WKU.

Mariota's EPA is 91.2

Carden's EPA is 94.1

Doughty's EPA is 110.3

Both Carden & Doughty are pocket-style passers, not read-option running QB's. This, to me, is a plus as it will make the transition to the pros easier.

Both Carden & Doughty are gunslingers, putting up impressive passing yards:

Mariota 4121 yds

Carden 4736 yds

Doughty 4830 yds

I would think both of these QB's will be available when the Bills pick and would be nice to bring to camp to battle EJ for the starting job.

Any thoughts on these two or some other QB's from non-powerhouse programs?

Interesting strategy. Any idea where they're projected to fall in the draft?