Worst Fear

Fredo G.

My worst fear is that Schwartz uses Marrones resigning as a power play to be head coach and gets mad if he isn't picked.....

Why is that your worst fear?

There doesn't have to be a power play. Schwartz did an outstanding job as DC. He has prior NFL head coaching experience. He is bound to have a chip on his shoulder if he isn't picked. Anyone would - doesn't make it a power play, if you feel you have the talent and the experience and a job opens, you're going to want the job

He is under contract to Buffalo for the next year at least (2 years? I google-searched and couldn't find this) but such contracts seem to mean little if a coach asks to be released. There are a lot of coaching vacancies and I'd expect Schwartz to be asked to interview for 1 or 2.

He will definitely be p/o'ed at Buffalo if he isn't interviewed seriously here. If he isn't asked to interview elsewhere or seriously considered when he does, it would give him a message as to how he was seen that might keep him as a DC a while longer.

Hopefully he learned from his tenure in Detroit and from Marrone's behavior, how to do better 2nd time around if he does get the opportunity. I think keeping a poor DC marred his Detroit tenure just as keeping a poor OC marred Marrone's time with Buffalo.

Edited by Hopeful

There doesn't have to be a power play. Schwartz did an outstanding job as DC. He has prior NFL head coaching experience. He is bound to have a chip on his shoulder if he isn't picked. Anyone would - doesn't make it a power play, if you feel you have the talent and the experience you're going to want the job.

He is under contract to Buffalo for the next year at least (2 years? I google-searched and couldn't find this) but such contracts seem to mean little if a coach asks to be released. There are a lot of coaching vacancies and I'd expect Schwartz to be asked to interview for 1 or 2.

He will definitely be p/o'ed at Buffalo if he isn't interviewed seriously here

I agree, but it really does not make sense for him to feel that way. He was brought on by a coach who is now gone, and paid by owners who did not own the team when he was hired. He did extremely well last year as DC, but his 5 year record as a head coach is decidedly mixed. He deserves consideration for the job for sure, but I don't want a knee jerk give him the HC job just to keep the D on track approach. His performance last year is a factor, but short sighted to hire soley on that basis, in my opinion, if you think a better long term guy is out there.

There doesn't have to be a power play. Schwartz did an outstanding job as DC. He has prior NFL head coaching experience. He is bound to have a chip on his shoulder if he isn't picked. Anyone would - doesn't make it a power play, if you feel you have the talent and the experience and a job opens, you're going to want the job

He will definitely be p/o'ed at Buffalo if he isn't interviewed seriously here. If he isn't asked to interview elsewhere or seriously considered when he does, it would give him a message as to how he was seen that might keep him as a DC a while longer.

Hopefully he learned from his tenure in Detroit and from Marrone's behavior, how to do better 2nd time around if he does get the opportunity. I think keeping a poor DC marred his Detroit tenure just as keeping a poor OC marred Marrone's time with Buffalo.

Couldn't have said it any better. Love the guy as a DC. NO WAY do I want him to be the Bills HC. We need an Offensive minded HC to get that side of the ball going again. I think just about anyone can come in here with the talent level on D and make it work.

My worst fear is that Schwartz uses Marrones resigning as a power play to be head coach and gets mad if he isn't picked.....

with the defensive talent we have that will be a very easy vacancy to fill. if schwartz has an ounce of brains he stays here and dominates for one more year and then parlays it into hios next head job.

He will tell Whaley he is interested in being Head Coach, will most likely interview...if not selected he will leave...what kind of power play are you talking about?