Xenforo vs IPB Software - Any posters here have an opinion?

SDS

As vBulletin falls spectacularly from their dominate position, their former coders started a new company Xenforo about 4 years ago. I think Xenforo now has 2x the installed base of IPB (our current software provider).

I've stuck to IPB for a lot of years, but the focus shift in their company and the mind-numbingly long waits for new releases has me peeking over the fence.

Does anyone else visit some favorite forums that run on Xenforo? Do you like the user experience?

Is the implication Xenforo is complicated? Their mobile responsive design is quite nice.

I love the look of this forum:

https://theadminzone.com/forums/ipb.88/

I check TBD on my cell almost 99% of the time. I don't even own a home computer anymore. I just took a look at that site and it does look nice. I do prefer the simplicity (for mobile use not using tapatalk) using the current set up but it would take me, and most others, very little time to adapt. Honestly, whatever's easier/most affordable/etc for you works for me.

I tooled around a Xenforo demo site for a little bit.

It looks about 90% the same. What are the business reasons for moving? Cost? Scalability? Performance? Usability?

most of that.

This version I'm using is done. The next one has been in dev for years and is in Beta. Just a diff cat from this. I'm not sure I need the extras they have developed.

I've never understood fixing what's not broken. Just my 2 cents.

Hey, well, that's good to know!

And here I thought I was stuck with a dead-end version of the board that will eventual lose security updates and plug-in development, has sub-optimal SEO, high support costs, and historically poor performance for large installations compared to competitors. Who knew none of that was broken!?

As a sometime poster here, but very frequent poster on Sabrespace, all I can say is that I hope the mobile version of Xenforo is better than IPB if you are considering the switch.

I've also always liked the look and feel of your boards, so hopefully that doesn't change.

check out:

https://theadminzone.com/

I like their mobile skin.

And here I thought I was stuck with a dead-end version of the board that will eventual lose security updates and plug-in development, has sub-optimal SEO, high support costs, and historically poor performance for large installations compared to competitors. Who knew none of that was broken!?

Sorry. My knowledge is limited.

I personally haven't heard of any major security issues with IP. Cross site scripting within XSS is a concern for any forum, but I haven't heard of any MYSQL bleeding (or injections) on IP boards. Security architecture was written into IP, unlike vbulletin. If you don't have readable files on the server, you shouldn't have any security issues. At least in my experience. IP doesn't have an SEO engine, so I feel for you on that. But it appears that you rank for the majority of keywords I would think you want. Granted, my forum had just barely over a million pageviews per month, and I wrote my own plug-in's and supported myself. So I don't know the inner workings of having to have other people do it. Whole nother ball game for you my friend. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Edited by PostRalphEra

Is there a well traveled road for a migration?

If IPB is dying then there may be a community to help with the migration process.