(OT) Dog food question

gflande1

I remember somone bringing up the topic of dog food. Someone mentioned a brand that I have never heard of, and claimed it was the best, because it was made with real meat. The person went on to explain that the dog eats less of this food because it was better quality. Anyone remember what dog food this was?

Eukubana, Canana or Royal Canin are all escellant foods.  Eukubana is probably the best.

227905[/snapback]

I think it was SteveStojan who recomended the raw dog food. I think it was Nitro....something or another. I'm sure he'll be here to give you the exact name if it was indeed him.

I'd be willing to learn more about it as well. I have a Weimaraner who is about 14 months old or so. I jus switched her from Hills Science Diet for puppies to the adult formula. She seems to do well on that.

I started that post and got some excellent advice from Alaska Darin. He recommended Canidae. I did a lot of research and spent an hour talking to a Feed Store owner (who had hundreds of 40 pound bags in his store). Everything supported Darin's recommendations. It is an outstanding choice.

I started that post and got some excellent advice from Alaska Darin. He recommended Canidae. I did a lot of research and spent an hour talking to a Feed Store owner (who had hundreds of 40 pound bags in his store). Everything supported Darin's recommendations. It is an outstanding choice.

227915[/snapback]

That's it Canidae. That was what I was trying to point out when I canana. Thanks, my bad. :(

The kind is use is NutroMax.. if you do a little research, you'll find some gross facts about dog food. The stuff you find at the grocery store ("pedigree", etc) contains chicken by products. This means beaks, feet, cartilidge (sp), eyes, etc...

What this means is you are filling your dog with stuff that it can't digest, just like we cant. Therefore, he poops it out.

Nutro Max only uses parts of the chicken that humans would consume. Breast meat, etc... This means, after a while, less poop, as they actually use more of what you give them. (they don't eat less - they use more)

I get Nutro Max at PetSmart. Its about 30% more expensive, but I'd rather not feed my dog the face parts of a chicken, or its toenails..

The kind is use is NutroMax.. if you do a little research, you'll find some gross facts about dog food. The stuff you find at the grocery store ("pedigree", etc) contains chicken by products. This means beaks, feet, cartilidge (sp), eyes, etc...

What this means is you are filling your dog with stuff that it can't digest, just like we cant. Therefore, he poops it out.

Nutro Max only uses parts of the chicken that humans would consume. Breast meat, etc...  This means, after a while, less poop, as they actually use more of what you give them.  (they don't eat less - they use more)

I get Nutro Max at PetSmart. Its about 30% more expensive, but I'd rather not feed my dog the face parts of a chicken, or its toenails..

227952[/snapback]

I got a real education when I initially asked the dog food question. I would imagine that the majority of dog owners see Pedigree or IAMs in the grocery store and feel they are getting some great products. I am glad that I researched this issue and was grateful for the input I received here.

I got a real education when I initially asked the dog food question. I would imagine that the majority of dog owners see Pedigree or IAMs in the grocery store and feel they are getting some great products. I am glad that I researched this issue and was grateful for the input I received here.

227956[/snapback]

I guess what they say about dogs being man's best friend is true. The same people who will debate til the end of time which brand of hot dog is best, will drive hours for a garbage plate, and will throw a fit when fried bologana sandwiches are no longer being served, absolutly refuse to feed their dog any "by-products".

I love it!

I'm the same way with my pup.

I guess what they say about dogs being man's best friend is true.  The same people who will debate til the end of time which brand of hot dog is best,  will drive hours for a garbage plate,  and will throw a fit when fried bologana sandwiches are no longer being served,  absolutly refuse to feed their dog any "by-products".

I love it!

I'm the same way with my pup.

227967[/snapback]

:( ... so true... If i ever fed my dog the equivelant of what i plan on poisoning my body with on Super Bowl Sunday, i would be locked up!

I remember somone bringing up the topic of dog food. Someone mentioned a brand that I have never heard of, and claimed it was the best, because it was made with real meat. The person went on to explain that the dog eats less of this food because it was better quality. Anyone remember what dog food this was?

227864[/snapback]

I live in Raleigh NC area and the raw meat brand available here is NuDimensions. We started as part of a cancer treatment regiment but have kept our other dog on it as well. They have raw turkey, chicken, duck and rabbit. They also have a veggie mix that use sparringly to add some carbs to the diet. Suggest before you do such a feeding program that you discuss with the Vet. raw meat needs to be handle carefully and can carry ecoli. Key is birds/rabbits arent feed steroids so ecoli isnt as bad as with steroid raised birds. The benefits are reduced stool that disentgrates in a day of sun basically just residual of the crushed bone.

227915[/snapback]

Same here...he recommended Canidae so we switched. Pups seem to be loving it.

I also remembered reading the original post and forgot what the name of the stuff AD was using. I picked up a bag of Canadae yesterday at a health food store. 5 lb bag was $6.79 which is about what I have been paying for Science Diet at Petsmart. I just gave my dog a little today as I like to wean him over to new foods. But, he snarfed it up much quicker than normal. Thanks for reminding me about it.