Bears Hire Rusty Jones as S&C coach

It just sounds like Rusty got squeezed out.  He obviously left because he was not happy in his new role with the Bills.  Not the end of the world, but the final link to the Super Bowl era Bills (save Ralph!) is gone.

227618[/snapback]

Chuck Lester has been here since 87. Nobody knows what it is he does, but he's got a knack for surving multiple coaching regimes. :(

Chuck Lester has been here since 87.  Nobody knows what it is he does, but he's got a knack for surving multiple coaching regimes. :(

227621[/snapback]

That has always my gut opinion. I thought he was some exec. assistant?

Maybe the mouthpiece from the coach to the owner? Sounds crazy but, like you said, how did he survive?

Just from looking from the media guide the last couple of years and noticing almost 20 year or so tenure... I thought WTF?

It just sounds like Rusty got squeezed out.  He obviously left because he was not happy in his new role with the Bills.  Not the end of the world, but the final link to the Super Bowl era Bills (save Ralph!) is gone.

227618[/snapback]

It's possible that he took the promotion last season, realized he didn't like it at all (preferring the more hands-on work), and had to leave because his old position was already filled. I know that in my company, I was offered the chance to be lead for the UNIX team, dealing with budgets, managing the workers, etc. I asked if I could try it out but go back to my old position if I didn't like it after 6-12 months, and was told that it would be a one-way thing. I decided to stick with my current position because I wasn't willing to leave the company if I didn't like being the project manager. Similar thing could've happened with Rusty.

CW

Could have, but I remember at the time, reading some article about Jones (probably Bills Digest), where he was talking about his new position. He said it was kind of "undefined" and, just the impression I got, was he didn't seem to enthused. Maybe I am wrong, just the impression I had. He is likely a good guy (wouldn't have lasted as long as he had if he wasn't), but maybe Mularkey, being a first time HC, just had the urge to have his own guy in there.

The only part then that is tough to explain was, if Mularkey wanted his own guy, why then didn't he just not hire Jones in Feb? As I recall he interviewed all of the coaches. In fact didn't he not hire a couple of the coaches? If it was Ralph didn't want to pay Jones' salary not to coach, they brought another guy in anyway. So Ralph could have paid both to coach, which he did, or the new guy to coach and Rusty to do nothing. Either way, same amount of $$ to Ralph.

Seems to me, makes the theory that he didn't like his new role more believable?? The telling thing may be what the Bills do now. If they replace Jones, then I think it was more Jones didn't like the new role and after one year had enough and quit. If they don't replace him, then maybe Mularkey did want his own guy, but maybe was afraid to fire Jones as he felt after 20 years he was too popular here in town?