Film Review - Week 15 - O-Line rallies... Orton too many unforced erro

Bocephuz

Is that you Kyle? LOL just giving you a hard time.

In all honesty though, it is blatantly obvious that you are a huge Kyle Orton supporter, and I applaud you for having the guts to stick by him, no matter how bad he is. It almost reminds me of Marrone's loyalty to Hackett. But seriously man, you have to be delusional if you don't see all of the warts in Orton's game. And to attack the OP for putting together a very nice write up, that to me seemed very factual and non-biased. And like Bocephuz pointed out, this is just his educated perception(a very good one btw).

Speaking objectively, Kyle Orton's performances have gotten progressively worse from game to game, and that is a FACT. He is constantly missing open receivers, and when his receivers are making the catches, they are eye-opening, acrobatic, amazing, and downright damn good catches. I wait baited breath for the game where his throws are on the money, where he in fact throws a receiver open, where the receivers can just catch a ball that hits them square in the numbers, or in their hands, where they don't have to change direction, have to slow down, or use the concentration of the zenmaster himself to catch a pass. In fact, I cannot recall one game where his good throws have outnumbered his poor throws, or where the receiver has simply bailed Orton out. He does not throw an accurate ball! We are winning games with our awesome defense, and we are winning IN SPITE of Orton, not because of him.

If it were not for our record, and the fact we are still in the thick of the playoff race, I believe it would have been inevitable that Orton get returned to the pine. And as Bocephuz pointed out, it's getting damn close to a point where Marrone will have no choice but to bench Orton, or risk losing the respect of his players. Unfortunately, because we ARE still in the playoff race, and there are only two games left to play, regardless of what Orton does tomorrow, he will still in 99.9 % likelihood start the final game of the season as well.

I think everyone on this board with the exception of you and maybe a few others, believes that Orton is not a good quarterback, and has no business being a starting quarterback in this league. He is a decent backup, and nothing more. I am praying that Bills management do not share your sentiment, and that next year, if Kyle Orton is still with the team, he will be relegated to number two. If he is gone, I will not lose a wink of sleep.

Sad thing is is that Orton has it in him to be accurate and decisive. To my eye he came out slinging in his first few games because he was so pumped up to be playing again. Somewhere along the line he either 1.) regressed to the mean naturally 2.) got the aggressiveness coached out of him 3.) got complacent and got comfortable doing the bare minimum. Sadly his onfield persona tells me it's #3 and he's been revealed as a paid mercenary

Edited by Bocephuz

Sad thing is is that Orton has it in him to be accurate and decisive. To my eye he came out slinging in his first few games because he was so pumped up to be playing again. Somewhere along the line he either 1.) regressed to the mean naturally 2.) got the aggressiveness coached out of him 3.) got complacent and got comfortable doing the bare minimum. Sadly his onfield persona tells me it's #3 and he's been revealed as a paid mercenary

I'd love to agree with you. But at this stage in his career, do you really think Orton has it in him? The guy has had numerous opportunities with numerous offenses and offensive lines. At some point you have to ask "Is this the best he can do?". As I said earlier, I'd be more optimistic if I saw Orton making veteran decisions under pressure. But too often I see him making rookie mistakes. I really like this guy as a backup, spot starter. But I see why he hasn't been able to keep a starting job.

I'd love to agree with you. But at this stage in his career, do you really think Orton has it in him? The guy has had numerous opportunities with numerous offenses and offensive lines. At some point you have to ask "Is this the best he can do?". As I said earlier, I'd be more optimistic if I saw Orton making veteran decisions under pressure. But too often I see him making rookie mistakes. I really like this guy as a backup, spot starter. But I see why he hasn't been able to keep a starting job.

You've seen Orton make veteran plays you just refused to admit it

Good point.. I guess what I was trying to say is that Orton's attitude drives his performance. At this stage of his career the '"want to" desparate attitude is probably gone.His arm is better than Fitzy... But he doesn't have Fitzy's guts. His brain is better than EJ but he doesn't have EJ's mobility. As a classic pocket QB he has to be willing to throw guys open and take hits doing it and it's pretty clear he doesn't have the stomach for it anymore

You've seen Orton make veteran plays you just refused to admit it

Oh I've seen him make many veteran plays. Sorry if I suggested otherwise. But at this stage in his career, I expect him to make fewer errors I expect from inexperienced QBs. i know he doesn't have the talent of some QBs, so to make up for it he should play smarter. No?

Good point.. I guess what I was trying to say is that Orton's attitude drives his performance. At this stage of his career the '"want to" desparate attitude is probably gone.His arm is better than Fitzy... But he doesn't have Fitzy's guts. His brain is better than EJ but he doesn't have EJ's mobility. As a classic pocket QB he has to be willing to throw guys open and take hits doing it and it's pretty clear he doesn't have the stomach for it anymore

This offense didnt have a camp with Orton so hes trying to work through his own mistakes as well as mesh with everyone else basically during live games. He didnt take over a well oiled machine.

Q: Where do you feel this offense is at right now going into this game on Sunday?

A: Really just the same thing; a weekly battle to improve and improve consistency and that starts with me. It’s our job to score points and we’ve got to do a better job at that and that means that I’ve got to do better, so I’ll work as hard as I can to get my own game and to get this offense where they need to be.

Oh I've seen him make many veteran plays. Sorry if I suggested otherwise. But at this stage in his career, I expect him to make fewer errors I expect from inexperienced QBs. i know he doesn't have the talent of some QBs, so to make up for it he should play smarter. No?

With no mini camp nor training camp there are going to be errors and the more you throw the more errors you are likely to have . Hes made more than he normally does but he basically has to work through them during lives games when normally you would lean on the run a bit more to alleviate those errors

This offense didnt have a camp with Orton so hes trying to work through his own mistakes as well as mesh with everyone else basically during live games. He didnt take over a well oiled machine.

With no mini camp nor training camp there are going to be errors and the more you throw the more errors you are likely to have . Hes made more than he normally does but he basically has to work through them during lives games when normally you would lean on the run a bit more to alleviate those errors

Mini camp has nothing to do with knowing to throw the ball away before taking a sack. And if he had more skills he wouldn't be a career journeyman backup. I don't deny that camp didn't affect his performance, but that isn't what I'm talking about.

Edited by The Dean

Whose fault is it that he had no TC?

Also its december. No more excuses. If he's not on the same page with his receivers its more like he just isn't very good

Edited by Captain Hindsight

Whose fault is it that he had no TC?

Also its december. No more excuses. If he's not on the same page with his receivers its more like he just isn't very good

Fault really isn't an issue and beside the point, I think.

Unforced errors.. bad throws/ How did the O Line do?/ What mistakes are on the O-Line.. what ones are not?

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did / How Kyle did on every pass play ( I may have missed a snap or two here.. but this should be 95% accurate)

DISCLAIMER ( I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

_______ ______________________

TOTAL PASS PLAYS - 36 snaps - a reasonable number (last week was 57 snaps … )

LINE BREAKDOWNS 5 out of 36 snaps – 14% … improvement over last week ( last week was 12 or 21% ) - defined as O-Line clearly messed up and Kyle did not have a moment to throw after hitting the last step of his drop.

SUFFICIENT PROTECTION - 31 of 36 snaps – 86% .. improvement over last week (last week was 45 snaps or 79 % of pass plays) - defined as O-Line did sufficient job and Kyle hit the last step of his drop and had a moment to throw.

UNFORCED KYLE ERRORS: - 9 snaps out of 31- 29%- worse than last week ( last week was 9 snaps or 20% of snaps where he had time) - unforced error defined as Kyle having time and having unforced accuracy issues/ or taking bad sacks.

Bottom Line:

Orton's worst outing by far. Out of the 31 clean pockets he had.. he had far too many unforced overthrows/underthrows/ poor decisions to show for them. The O Line really struggled in the first quarter.. however.. they settled down and played much better the rest of the game. After q1 most of the pressure came from blitzes where they outnumbered our protection.. hard to fault the O Line for that. For the most part, Orton had very good protection and opportunities to throw to open receivers… he just flat out missed guys on too many occasions. There were a few poor decisions.. but mostly it was inaccuracy that got him week 15.

__________ __________

PLAYS OF NOTE

Q1 – Sammy slips on Hook Route

Q1- Pears beaten .. Orton forced to check down

Q1- Both sides of O Line beaten by stunts

Q1 – SACK – Glenn cleanly beaten..

Q1 – Orton unnecessarily checks down to Freddy when he has time

Q1 – Orton steps up to avoid rush.. has time.. but doesn't see Sammy open at the sticks. Checks down instead

Q2 – Orton makes nice jump ball sideline pass to Watkins

Q2 – Nice out route completion to Woods

Q2 – 3rd and goal- great coverage downfield.. forced to check down

Q3 – Orton unforced poor throw to Sammy on out route

Q3 – Orton throws too high to Woods on open slant route.. unforced

Q3 – INT – underthrown.. forced ball to Sammy in double coverage

Q3 – Orton throws behind Woods – unforced

Q3 – Orton misses Sammy on out route in Red Zone – unforced

Q3 – SACK – Orton panics.. has time to throw and guys open but doesn't pull trigger

Q4- SACK – Blitz .. Orton has no chance

Q4 – Overthrows wide open Woods .. unforced

Q4 - Overthrown to Watkins on go route… unforced.

SUMMARY - Orton's worst game by far. EJ Manuel had a similar outing against Houston where he was missing wide open receivers and he was benched shortly after that game. Orton's performance against the Packers was just as bad as EJ's in Houston to my eye. Upon further review.. the O-Line held up pretty well for most of the game and guys were generally open. Quite frankly this is inexcusable play for a starting QB in the NFL. If the O Line continues to give him sufficient protection in the Oakland game and Orton performs like that again Marrone will have a hard time keeping his credibility with the team if Orton is not benched.

can't bench him now, we need his experience to get to the playoffs